Why Peter sank?

balshan

God wants our focus on Him and Him alone. Peter sank when he took his eyes off Jesus.

Matt 14:29

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Psalm 16:8

I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

1 Cor 4:18

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Heb 12:2

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Heb 3:1

Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest.

These following verses come from bible reason:

Matthew 15:8 “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”

2. Jeremiah 29:13 “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

3. Jeremiah 24:7 “I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart.”

4. Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.”

5. John 17:3 “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”

I have been thinking about the RCC focus on Mary and the saints. There is no scripture about focusing our hearts, minds, eyes, mediating on God and Jesus, what happens when we don't we sink or God is unhappy Mtt 15:8. So why not just pray to The Father or The Lord or Jesus as taught by Jesus and as Jesus and the apostles did.

I noticed one RC who said it doesn't hurt anyone if they pray to Mary or the saints. I aske doesn't it. It would appear to me it is hurting God.

He took his eyes off Jesus. So will anyone "sink" spiritually who does so!
Exactly. He looked around at other things. When we pray our focus should be the God, our prayers should be addressed to him. In the other thread you made an excellent point to the comment about who does it hurt, it hurts the person praying spiritually (my paraphrasing your words, sorry doing it from memory). That was a very valid point.

I seriously don't expect RCs to take understand or comment on my op. However, I feel the point is important. I also remember that God is a jealous God.

The Waters which thou saweth are
and I stood on the """SANDS""" of the Sea​
-------Built upon Sand ------​
and I saw ........​
a Monstrosity arise out of that sea​
God wants our focus on Him and Him alone. Peter sank when he took his eyes off Jesus.

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

balshan said:

29 “Come,” he said.

=======================================
end balshan

everything Christ did, on the road to mans redemption
every event is a fulfillment of Prophesy
and they are they which testify of me
and his dicisples remembered​
"it was written of him"​

and you will find this event in the Psalms

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink,

And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand,​
and caught him, and said unto him,​
O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?​

Faith commeth by hearing
and hearing by the word of God
and they are they which testify of me
and his dicisples remembered​
"it was written of him"​

Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him,
saying,

and they said​
Of a truth thou art the Son of God.​
[/INDENT]

everything Christ did, on the road to mans redemption​
every event is a fulfillment of Prophesy​
even this, a fulfillment of that which was written of him​
And when it was evening, his disciples came to him,​
saying,​
This is a desert place, and the time is now past;
send the multitude away,
that they may go into the villages,
and buy themselves victuals.​
16 But Jesus said unto them,​
They need not depart; give ye them to eat.​
17 And they say unto him,​
We have here but five loaves,​
and two fishes.​
18 He said, Bring them hither to me.​
19 And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass,​
and took the five loaves, and the two fishes,​
and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake,​
and gave the loaves to his disciples,​
and the disciples to the multitude.​
20 And they did all eat, and were filled:​
and they took up of the fragments that remained​
twelve baskets full.​

as Peter says​
Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease​
to have these things always in remembrance.​
16 For we have not followed​
cunningly devised fables,​
when we made known unto you​
the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,​
but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.​
..........​
We have also a more sure word of prophecy;​
whereunto ye do well that ye take heed,​
as unto a light that shineth in a dark place,​
until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:​
//​
and I stood on the """SANDS""" of the Sea​
-------Built upon Sand ------​
and I saw ........​
a Monstrosity arise out of that sea​
=========================================​

lesson;​
take your eyes off Christ​
and​
thats where you are headed​
into the great sea​

Exactly. He looked around at other things. When we pray our focus should be the God, our prayers should be addressed to him. In the other thread you made an excellent point to the comment about who does it hurt, it hurts the person praying spiritually (my paraphrasing your words, sorry doing it from memory). That was a very valid point.

I seriously don't expect RCs to take understand or comment on my op. However, I feel the point is important. I also remember that God is a jealous God.
Not paraphrasing...I think that is what I wrote.

Back