Why should we study the Bible?

puddleglum

Why should we study the Bible? Second Timothy 3:16 gives us four reasons.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
Teaching

The first reason is the fact that it teaches us about God.

We can learn some things about him from other sources. The Bible itself mentions two ways we can know about him.

The existence and power of God can be seen through what he has created.

For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:19-20

Everyone is born with an innate sense of right and wrong.

When Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts.
Romans 2:14-15

Because these sources of knowledge are universal everyone has some knowledge of God and all religions contain some truth. Unfortunately this knowledge by itself isn’t enough to enable people to really know God because it is incomplete and is often mixed with false beliefs.

In the Bible we can find out everything that God wants to reveal to us about himself. It is the only source of information that is complete and free from any error.

Reproof

The Bible does more that simply give us information about God. It also tells us how he wants us to live. Jesus has given us a summary of what God requires from us.

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”

Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:28-31

Perhaps you love God but do you love him with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength? God created us and every good thing we have is a gift from him. He deserves first place in every part of our life. Any time we put anything else ahead of him we are violating the most important commandment he has given us.

The best way for us to show our love for God is to obey his command that we love our neighbor as ourself. Most of us have some love for our neighbor and are willing to do good for him but how many of us love him as much as we love ourself?

If we examine our lives honestly and compare them with what the Bible says we will be forced to admit that we haven’t lived up to what God requires of us.

Correction

God knows that none of us can meet his standards by our own efforts but he loves us and so has made a way for our sins to be forgiven. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save us from our sins. Jesus lived a perfect life and completely fulfilled God’s requirements. He then allowed himself to be crucified so that he could bear the punishment we deserve.

But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way;and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 53:5-6

Anyone who will acknowledge his sins and his inability to meet God’s standard and put his faith in Jesus will have his sins forgiven.

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Romans 10:9-10

Training in righteousness

Finally the Bible tells us how we are supposed to live after we have been forgiven. Forgiveness brings with it a new life and a new relationship with God. This change must be reflected in the way we live. If we obey God completely our life be radically different from what it was before.

God will be the center of everything we do.

Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 10:31-33

We will realize that this earthly life is temporary and we must use it to prepare for the heavenly life that is ahead of us.

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Colossians 3:1-4

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

There is one mistake some people make when they read what the Bible says about living the Christian life. They think that this is what we must do to be saved. The Bible plainly says that we aren’t saved by living a good life but by faith in Christ, but after we are saved we will begin living a life of service to God.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8-10

If you have tried to live a Christian life and failed you should examine your life and see whether you have become a Christian by believing in Christ. You need to first be saved by faith in Christ and then God will give you the power you need to live a life that pleases him.

Gary Mac

The bible is only instruction, a tutorial, KJV says schoolmaster, for how to acces God and live His life in His kingdom as Jesus did.

Teaching

Correction

Finally the Bible tells us how we are supposed to live after we have been forgiven. Forgiveness brings with it a new life and a new relationship with God. This change must be reflected in the way we live. If we obey God completely our life be radically different from what it was before.
Actually, I think people should study the Bible but on their own to make of it what they will. Most Christian sects "guide" their followers' Bible study making sure those followers come to conclusions about the Bible's content that the respective sect holds. In other words, no independent thinking is allowed! When I began an independent study of the Bible I saw its many flaws and soon concluded that it was all a lot of hogwash.

So my answer to your question is that people should study the Bible to see what it really says.

Our Lord's God

Teaching

We can learn some things about him from other sources. The Bible itself mentions two ways we can know about him.

The existence and power of God can be seen through what he has created.

Everyone is born with an innate sense of right and wrong.

Because these sources of knowledge are universal everyone has some knowledge of God and all religions contain some truth. Unfortunately this knowledge by itself isn’t enough to enable people to really know God because it is incomplete and is often mixed with false beliefs.

In the Bible we can find out everything that God wants to reveal to us about himself. It is the only source of information that is complete and free from any error.

Reproof

The Bible does more that simply give us information about God. It also tells us how he wants us to live. Jesus has given us a summary of what God requires from us.

Perhaps you love God but do you love him with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength? God created us and every good thing we have is a gift from him. He deserves first place in every part of our life. Any time we put anything else ahead of him we are violating the most important commandment he has given us.

The best way for us to show our love for God is to obey his command that we love our neighbor as ourself. Most of us have some love for our neighbor and are willing to do good for him but how many of us love him as much as we love ourself?

If we examine our lives honestly and compare them with what the Bible says we will be forced to admit that we haven’t lived up to what God requires of us.

Correction

God knows that none of us can meet his standards by our own efforts but he loves us and so has made a way for our sins to be forgiven. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save us from our sins. Jesus lived a perfect life and completely fulfilled God’s requirements. He then allowed himself to be crucified so that he could bear the punishment we deserve.

Anyone who will acknowledge his sins and his inability to meet God’s standard and put his faith in Jesus will have his sins forgiven.

God will be the center of everything we do.

We will realize that this earthly life is temporary and we must use it to prepare for the heavenly life that is ahead of us.

There is one mistake some people make when they read what the Bible says about living the Christian life. They think that this is what we must do to be saved. The Bible plainly says that we aren’t saved by living a good life but by faith in Christ, but after we are saved we will begin living a life of service to God.

If you have tried to live a Christian life and failed you should examine your life and see whether you have become a Christian by believing in Christ. You need to first be saved by faith in Christ and then God will give you the power you need to live a life that pleases him.

Paul said these things to Timothy because he was a church elder.

Which is better?

1. Getting to know God Himself.
2. Getting to know what your English translation Bible says.

Paul said these things to Timothy because he was a church elder.

Which is better?

It's hard to say what's better. From what I've seen of belief in God, I don't want to know God. In any case, to "know" God requires an English-translation Bible if you only speak English. God isn't around to know him any other way.

Gary Mac

It's hard to say what's better. From what I've seen of belief in God, I don't want to know God. In any case, to "know" God requires an English-translation Bible if you only speak English. God isn't around to know him any other way.
Oh no that is so far off. To know God requires His same mind be your own mind, a mind of Love that is anointed of God for God is Love. A bible is not the word of God, a bible is only lawys for beliefs in a god. It is another matter for God to manifest Himself in you that you become like Him instead of all these opinions spawned by a bible for law.

Oh no that is so far off. To know God requires His same mind be your own mind, a mind of Love that is anointed of God for God is Love. A bible is not the word of God, a bible is only lawys for beliefs in a god. It is another matter for God to manifest Himself in you that you become like Him instead of all these opinions spawned by a bible for law.
I do love, but I see no God to help me do so. From what I've seen of Christians, they're no more loving than anybody else, and in some cases they are very hateful.

Gary Mac

I do love, but I see no God to help me do so. From what I've seen of Christians, they're no more loving than anybody else, and in some cases they are very hateful.
Perhaps you never have met a Christian? Only because one uses the title does not mean they are like the God if it. Few who find His way and has His SPirit which is Love.

Most claiming to be Christian are actually of a belief claiming to be of God. They have a form of godliness but refuse to be like the One Jesus was of.

Perhaps you never have met a Christian?
I've evidently met very few Christians. From what they've told me, all those other Christians are false. So it appears that true-blue Christians are few.
Only because one uses the title does not mean they are like the God if it.
Really? Then I'll be careful when you say you're a Christian.
Few who find His way and has His SPirit which is Love.
I don't pay much attention when Christians preach love especially when they insult me and call me names.
Most claiming to be Christian are actually of a belief claiming to be of God. They have a form of godliness but refuse to be like the One Jesus was of.
If they're not like Jesus, then it's not really so bad. At least that way they don't go around calling people fools and telling them that their father is the Devil.

puddleglum

Which is better?

The only important thing is to know God and the best way is to listen to what he says. He has spoken through the Bible and we can't know him without knowing what it says. You don't necessarily have to use an English translation. If your first language is something other than English you should use a translation that is in your native language.

Gary Mac

I've evidently met very few Christians. From what they've told me, all those other Christians are false. So it appears that true-blue Christians are few.
Few indeed few who find His way to be like the One of Love. They creed to the laws of some berlief system where they make their gods be what they would have od a god. That is why none of these belief systems, mostly denominations, has no commonality with being as Jesus was to have the same God in them Jesus had in himself.
Really? Then I'll be careful when you say you're a Christian.
Good because I never use the term for myself. Because of these the term Christian has left a very bitter taste.
I don't pay much attention when Christians preach love especially when they insult me and call me names.r
Me either.
If they're not like Jesus, then it's not really so bad. At least that way they don't go around calling people fools and telling them that their father is the Devil.
If they are not like Jesus they are the fool if they example any other way than Love and creed to some denomination, or belief, who makes god into what they believe of a god.

The only reality of the God Jesus prayed to and obeyed is if the same One is manifest in you. Until then all you can do is make up your own rules for a god. Where did you learn your beliefs of this god you say is is not like Jesus was? Because it sure wasnt by the same One manifest in you who was manifest in Jesus. You are no different from these who has made your own laws to govern your beliefs for a god.

God revealed, manifest in you, is not a belief as you have dicteted to a god judging by what othres say of their gods. It is who we become not what we believe for a god, where it isnt an effort to love they neighbor but to actualy love them as thyself.

You are listening to beliefs of man instead of letting God Himself open His will in you.

Even Jesus said that in that day ye shall ask me nothing but go to the Father for yourself and He will give it you. Even Jesus know he could not convey the will of God but only Goid Himself can open to you who He really is. And when you do see Him as He really is, ye shall be like Him. 1 Jophn 3.

If you are not willing to receieve from God Himself then your judgment of these is no different from the ones who judge you. And you are your own judge and know very well if you are of the same Love that only God can put within you or not.

And NO I am not judging you, you are very clear in your beliefs which are very contrary to what God puts in man Himself as He put His mind of Love. You cant know that what you dont have nor assume yourself to be in certain condition that you never have been in.

Gary Mac

The only important thing is to know God and the best way is to listen to what he says. He has spoken through the Bible and we can't know him without knowing what it says. You don't necessarily have to use an English translation. If your first language is something other than English you should use a translation that is in your native language.
He speaks theough His SPirit be in you. The bible is only a tutorial how to hear directly from God yourself. The bible is not the word of God, it is how to receieve the word of God in yourself. just as Jesus and others receieved directly from Him no different at all.

The word of God is living, it is withn you. You can learn about God through intellectual study, but it is another matter for Him to be manifest in you.

Our Lord's God

The only important thing is to know God and the best way is to listen to what he says. He has spoken through the Bible and we can't know him without knowing what it says.

You are mistaken. Knowing what a book says is not knowing God.

You don't necessarily have to use an English translation. If your first language is something other than English you should use a translation that is in your native language.

ziapueblo

From what I've seen of Christians, they're no more loving than anybody else, and in some cases they are very hateful.
As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, this is why a Life in Christ is emphasized. Our Christian life is shown in how we live, not what we say or read. When we mess up, we repent, ask for God's forgiveness and those we have offended.

Few indeed few who find His way to be like the One of Love.
The reason very few are "Christ-like" is because to do so is largely against human nature. People including Christians want to enjoy life and its pleasures as much as they can, and generally there's nothing wrong with that. People also want to be safe and secure and wisely avoid life-threatening circumstances. To follow Christ is to be miserable and unsafe.
They creed to the laws of some berlief system where they make their gods be what they would have od a god. That is why none of these belief systems, mostly denominations, has no commonality with being as Jesus was to have the same God in them Jesus had in himself.
Actually, many if not most Christian sects I think make a good-faith effort to genuinely base their beliefs on New-Testament dogma. It's just that none of them can agree on what the heck Jesus and his followers were saying. The Bible is a very confusing book, and that's why we have so many people arguing over it.
Good because I never use the term for myself. Because of these the term Christian has left a very bitter taste.
It's not just a matter of who call themselves Christians but their religious claims in general. Many people can be very arrogant strutting around like roosters crowing about their expertise on God and looking down their noses (beaks?) at all those they claim are either ignorant of God's ways or lying about God. Protestants, for example, love to say how benighted Catholics are while Catholics insist they are the "one true church." So in the Christian "chicken coop" the many roosters crow their saintliness while pecking at all the other roosters crowing their own saintliness!

Now, I'm not saying that no Christian can be the top rooster crowing the truth. It's just that if all you can do is crow for yourself like any other rooster, then all I hear is cackling. Let's see the rooster who can back up his crowing with some substance.
Me either.
Just make sure your talk of love is genuine and not just clucking to attract the hens. How do you love people? Do you respect and value them simply because they are human? I do!
If they are not like Jesus they are the fool if they example any other way than Love and creed to some denomination, or belief, who makes god into what they believe of a god.
You're being unloving right here. To call people fools if you judge them to be unlike Jesus only serves to make you disrespect them.
Where did you learn your beliefs of this god you say is is not like Jesus was? Because it sure wasnt by the same One manifest in you who was manifest in Jesus. You are no different from these who has made your own laws to govern your beliefs for a god.
If I can understand what you're asking, my answer is that my knowledge of Christianity is based on my Bible study and what some Christians have said.
God revealed, manifest in you, is not a belief as you have dicteted to a god judging by what othres say of their gods. It is who we become not what we believe for a god, where it isnt an effort to love they neighbor but to actualy love them as thyself.
But frankly, I don't see you as being a loving person--at least not from what you've posted. How can you love your neighbor when you consider them to be fools?
You are listening to beliefs of man instead of letting God Himself open His will in you.
If I ever see God, then I'll listen to him. For now, all I can do is listen to you. You say I shouldn't listen to "beliefs of man," so should I disregard your beliefs? You seem to think you are special and not to be judged like you judge others.

Gary Mac

The reason very few are "Christ-like" is because to do so is largely against human nature.

Yes human nature is in enemity with Gods spiritual nature to be like Him who is SPirit.
People including Christians want to enjoy life and its pleasures as much as they can, and generally there's nothing wrong with that. People also want to be safe and secure and wisely avoid life-threatening circumstances. To follow Christ is to be miserable and unsafe.
To follow Christ is to be miserable and unsafe? Now that is a twist never have I heard from Jesus, in fact I read where he was secure in the fatrher and peace and joy and secure in the Father was his disposition.

Perhaps Christ is a little foriegn to your own disposition for peace and Joy?
Actually, many if not most Christian sects I think make a good-faith effort to genuinely base their beliefs on New-Testament dogma. It's just that none of them can agree on what the heck Jesus and his followers were saying. The Bible is a very confusing book, and that's why we have so many people arguing over it.
Not confuisng at all if you have the mind, Spirit, of the Father of it.
It's not just a matter of who call themselves Christians but their religious claims in general. Many people can be very arrogant strutting around like roosters crowing about their expertise on God and looking down their noses (beaks?) at all those they claim are either ignorant of God's ways or lying about God. Protestants, for example, love to say how benighted Catholics are while Catholics insist they are the "one true church." So in the Christian "chicken coop" the many roosters crow their saintliness while pecking at all the other roosters crowing their own saintliness!
Catholic, Mormons, Muslims, Baptists, AOGs, COCs, Charasmatic, you name it all say they have the way.

Truth is either you are as Jesus was in the Father to walk as He walk in His same light or you are not and of one of these belief syatems.
Now, I'm not saying that no Christian can be the top rooster crowing the truth. It's just that if all you can do is crow for yourself like any other rooster, then all I hear is cackling. Let's see the rooster who can back up his crowing with some substance.
A Christian is Gods anointed and like the Father of it just as Jesus was like the Father of it no different at all.
Just make sure your talk of love is genuine and not just clucking to attract the hens. How do you love people? Do you respect and value them simply because they are human? I do!
I see them as myself.
You're being unloving right here. To call people fools if you judge them to be unlike Jesus only serves to make you disrespect them.
A fool is to say they are of Christ but refuse to be like Him as Jesus was like Him, anointed of God with the same signs following.
If I can understand what you're asking, my answer is that my knowledge of Christianity is based on my Bible study and what some Christians have said.
Mine is based on God Himself manifest in me just as Jesus knowledge was from God Himself.
My knowledge of Christ is to have the same anointing from God Jesus had from Him, same mind, same SPirit, same walk as He walks in His same light, perfect even as my Father in heaven is perfect.

But frankly, I don't see you as being a loving person--at least not from what you've posted. How can you love your neighbor when you consider them to be fools?
A fool is to not love your neighbor as yourself then confess that you love them.
If I ever see God, then I'll listen to him. For now, all I can do is listen to you. You say I shouldn't listen to "beliefs of man," so should I disregard your beliefs? You seem to think you are special and not to be judged like you judge others.
If you ever do see Him as He is ye shall be like Him. 1 John 3.

Dont listen to me, listen to God, He is the only one who can make you like Him.

Even Jesus was very clear when he said that in that day ye shall ask him noting but go to the Father for yourself and He will give it you.

I have no need to judge anyone, only repeat Jesus in who and what you should be in the Father as he was inb the Father yourself. It is up to you wheter you follow Jesus to the Father or not, that isnt up to me at all.