Why the Jews did not believe Jesus

TomFL

They were not Abraham's Children

John 8:39–40 —KJV

“They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.”

and did not act as Abraham acted

John 8:56 —KJV
“Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.”

They were not Children of God

John 8:41–44 —KJV

“Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”

They did not believe Moses

John 5:45–47 —KJV

“Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?”

Did not hear God’s word

John 8:46–47 —KJV

Ҧ Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.”

John 6:45 —KJV

“It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.”

Word of the Father did not abide in them

John 5:37–38 —KJV

“And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.”

They did not believe the Scriptures

John 5:39–40 —KJV

“Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.”

They had grown calloused and hardened

Acts 28:27 —KJV

“For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

It is not because of a condition from birth but a failure to receive truth previously given

It was not because God rejected them before they were ever born for God has stated

Rom. 10:21 —KJV

“But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.”

And Jesus

Matt. 23:37 —KJV

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!”

TomFL

They were not of His Sheep Jn 10:26

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
The reason they were not his sheep was because they were not the fathers sheep and the Father was giving to Jesus those that were his (the father's)

Which is why Jesus time and time again stated God was not their father the devil was

brightfame52

The reason they were not his sheep was because they were not the fathers sheep and the Father was giving to Jesus those that were his (the father's)

Which is why Jesus time and time again stated God was not their father the devil was
They were not elect. Christ died only for God's Elect Sheep given to Him by the Father, jew or gentile.

TomFL

Sorry nowhere

A sheep is a follower

Not following ?

not a sheep
God was giving to Jesus those that were his (sheep)

John 17:6 —ESV
“¶ “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.”

John 6:37 —ESV
“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”

armylngst

Sorry nowhere

A sheep is a follower

Not following ?

not a sheep
I think you fail to understand. A sheep that follows the shepherd is a follower. A sheep that is not following the shepherd is a sheep that has gone astray. Still a sheep, just one that is lost, and has gone astray. What did Jesus say He does for the sheep that is lost and has gone astray? He goes and finds it. I mean, Jesus had a whole parable about it. 99 saved sheep, and a sheep that was lost. It was still a sheep. It is like the parable of the wheat and the tares. The tares were born tares, and they will be burned to ashes as tares. The wheat were born wheat, and they will be gathered into the barn as wheat. The tares do not become wheat, and the wheat do not become tares. They may look similar when young, but as each matures, what they have always been comes forth.

Reformedguy

ItThe reason they were not his sheep was because they were not the fathers sheep and the Father was giving to Jesus those that were his (the father's)

It actually tells us the reason. Why did they not believe? Because they were not of the sheep. It does not say "Fathers sheep"

TomFL

I think you fail to understand. A sheep that follows the shepherd is a follower. A sheep that is not following the shepherd is a sheep that has gone astray. Still a sheep, just one that is lost, and has gone astray. What did Jesus say He does for the sheep that is lost and has gone astray? He goes and finds it. I mean, Jesus had a whole parable about it. 99 saved sheep, and a sheep that was lost. It was still a sheep. It is like the parable of the wheat and the tares. The tares were born tares, and they will be burned to ashes as tares. The wheat were born wheat, and they will be gathered into the barn as wheat. The tares do not become wheat, and the wheat do not become tares. They may look similar when young, but as each matures, what they have always been comes forth.
At one point that sheep had to be a follower

Those who never have followed are not sheep

TomFL

They are NEVER referred to as the Fathers sheep. Were these sheep with the Father at some point?
They were clearly noted as having been given by the Father

John 6:37 —KJV
“All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

John 6:39 —KJV
“And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.”

and having had belonged to him

John 17:6–7 —KJV
Ҧ I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.”

John 17:9–10 —KJV
“I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.”

Reformedguy

They were clearly noted as having been given by the Father

John 6:37 —KJV
“All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

John 6:39 —KJV
“And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.”

and having had belonged to him

John 17:6–7 —KJV
Ҧ I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.”

John 17:9–10 —KJV
“I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.”
That is not in dispute. Those chosen out of a fallen world, the sheep, are given to the Son to redeem. My sheep hear my voice and so on

TomFL

It does not say they were the Fathers. They are those chosen by the Father, given to the Son to redeem for a people to call His own.
What do the words thine they were mean

John 17:6–8 —KJV
Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.”

brightfame52

Excellent post, but he doesnt understand that. It amounts to he doesnt believe one is a Sheep until after they believe, you and i know better.

TomFL

Excellent post, but he doesnt understand that. It amounts to he doesnt believe one is a Sheep until after they believe, you and i know better.
Sorry but it is poor

The Father gave to Jesus those that were his

The fathers sheep became Jesus sheep

Your idea men were arbitrarily selected to be sheep is not biblical