Will God judge us by our thoughts on judgment day?

Caroljeen

Mt 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin,tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go into hell.

Mt 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin,tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go into hell.
Isn't what is written in God's Word plain enough to answer your question?

Isn't what is written in God's Word plain enough to answer your question?
Is it a sin every time you have an evil thought in your mind?

What about this passage? When does a desire ( an evil desire) become sin?

James 1:14 But one is tempted by one’s own desire, being lured and enticed by it; 15 then, when desire has conceived, it engenders sin, and sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death.

Last edited:
Is it a sin every time you have an evil thought in your mind?

What about this passage? When does a desire ( an evil desire) become sin?

James 1:14 But one is tempted by one’s own desire, being lured and enticed by it; 15 then, when desire has conceived, it engenders sin, and sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death.
I don't get the point of your op.

Matthew 23:24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

I don't get the point of your op.

Matthew 23:24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
Are we judged by our thoughts or by our actions or both?

Romans 2: 5-8...when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 He will repay according to each one’s deeds: 7 to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life, 8 while for those who are self-seeking and who obey not the truth but injustice, there will be wrath and fury

Are we judged by our thoughts or by our actions or both?

Romans 2: 5-8...when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 He will repay according to each one’s deeds: 7 to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life, 8 while for those who are self-seeking and who obey not the truth but injustice, there will be wrath and fury
There are two different judgments. One of the lost and one of the saints.

Romans 6:20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

There are two different judgments. One of the lost and one of the saints.

Romans 6:20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
You didn't answer my question. Are we judged by what we say and do and/or by what we think. I don't believe in the doctrine of once saved always saved.

You didn't answer my question. Are we judged by what we say and do and/or by what we think. I don't believe in the doctrine of once saved always saved.
Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God? The final rule for our faith and conduct? Breathed by God and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16)?

(thanks for that illumination but I'm not sure what osas as to do with this topic)

So, while sitting here thinking of your comments I have come to the conclusion, and correct me if my conclusion is wrong, you have a particular reason why you are asking these questions. Perhaps you could unpack your reasoning for me?

Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God? The final rule for our faith and conduct? Breathed by God and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16)?

(thanks for that illumination but I'm not sure what osas as to do with this topic)
Yes.
If you believe in OSAS then it doesn't matter how you think or act just as long as you believe and confess Christ as your Lord.

So, while sitting here thinking of your comments I have come to the conclusion, and correct me if my conclusion is wrong, you have a particular reason why you are asking these questions. Perhaps you could unpack your reasoning for me?
I'm curious what others will say. I'm open to changing my mind with good arguments. I think the verses in James 1 and other verses that instruct us to cast down thoughts that are not consistent with the teachings of Christ on purity hold some sway in my answer to the OP question.
Mostly because I'm not sure.

Yes.
If you believe in OSAS then it doesn't matter how you think or act just as long as you believe and confess Christ as your Lord.
I've never been much for such positions as OSAS, along with the Calvinism and Armenianism divide which I think OSAS is a key point for each philosophy. Just seems to take away from the simplicity of the Gospel when we beat each up over positions rather than focusing on the essentials of the faith. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much interested in proper hermeneutics, soteriology, Christology, systematic theology, etc. but only so much as it points back to my Lord, God and Savior and it can be used to give an answer, in and out of season.

I'm curious what others will say. I'm open to changing my mind with good arguments. I think the verses in James 1 and other verses that instruct us to cast down thoughts that are not consistent with the teachings of Christ on purity hold some sway in my answer to the OP question.
Mostly because I'm not sure.
What do you think about what Paul wrote in Romans 8?

God judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

What may appear to you to be a good deed, may be judged by God as evil because of the motives of the one who did it. Nobody will be fooling the Judge.

God judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

What may appear to you to be a good deed, may be judged by God as evil because of the motives of the one who did it. Nobody will be fooling the Judge.
Do you mean like the self-righteous, Pharisaical hypocrites?

Can you be more specific?
Scripture teaches the wages of sin is death. You asked if God would judge us on our thoughts on judgment day. Scripture is clear:

Romans 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

I think we should clarify what you mean by God judging us, as in is Christ's sacrifice is not enough to pay for our sin and we will still be judged against our sin to determine whether we will join Him in heaven or be relegated to hell?

Do you mean like the self-righteous, Pharisaical hypocrites?

Something like that. Every deed of every person will be judged in that way.

Sometimes people do "good deeds" for personal gain. That is not the righteousness of God and the Judge will know it.

Back