Will Trump pardon himself?

Whateverman

It would appear that a president has the ability to pardon him-or-herself. Whether this would survive a SCOTUS challenge is another question, but for the sake of this thread, let's assume such a pardon would be upheld.

Will Trump pardon himself before he leaves office?

Answer Yes, No or I Don't Know, and explain why.

Temujin

It would appear that a president has the ability to pardon him-or-herself. Whether this would survive a SCOTUS challenge is another question, but for the sake of this thread, let's assume such a pardon would be upheld.

I would say no. Either he knows that he has done something that requires a pardon or he doesn't. If he doesn't there is no need for a pardon if he does, he knows (or would be advised) that a self-pardon is uncertain. Instead, he can wait until his last day, resign and get Pence to pardon him. There are precedents for that.

Doesn't help with the New York state indictments though.

Whateverman

I would say no. Either he knows that he has done something that requires a pardon or he doesn't. If he doesn't there is no need for a pardon if he does, he knows (or would be advised) that a self-pardon is uncertain. Instead, he can wait until his last day, resign and get Pence to pardon him. There are precedents for that.
I think the bolded text is the smartest thing he could do. He certainly gets advice from people, some of which must be good (even according to the broken clock theory of political strategy). And if a pardon would be useful, then I think they'll be advising him to do this.

However, he's also a Dunning-Kruger poster child, and a narcissist; I actually believe he'll try to pardon himself, simply because he believes he can get away with it. And also because it's red meat for his base.

Never mind that a pardon is an implicit admission of guilt. He'll self-pardon just because...

Thistle

I think the bolded text is the smartest thing he could do. He certainly gets advice from people, some of which must be good (even according to the broken clock theory of political strategy). And if a pardon would be useful, then I think they'll be advising him to do this.

However, he's also a Dunning-Kruger poster child, and a narcissist; I actually believe he'll try to pardon himself, simply because he believes he can get away with it. And also because it's red meat for his base.

Never mind that a pardon is an implicit admission of guilt. He'll self-pardon just because...
Do you have any idea how insane this conversation it? You are in an alternative universe.

DieBrille

Yes.
Then he will tweet "No admission of guilt" and every Trumpie will use that as a brainless mantra for the next month.

Thistle

Why don't you come up to the front of the class and explain it for us.

Or, you know, don't - and keep pretending you're smarter than the people you refuse to engage in civil conversation with.
That's what I missed! This is a civil conversation? You are attributing unspecified crimes [with no suggestion that they should ever be specified] to someone who just got 72 million votes in our presidential election, and that is a civil conversation? I think we disagree about the ordinary definition of simple English words.

Buzzard

Hey whateverman;
Are you still beating you wife and kids ????

Questions of that sort are dishonest;
do you work for MSNNBC
are you hoping to get on some liberal talk show

Whateverman

Questions of that sort are dishonest;
No they're not.

Your answer would appear to be "No he wont".

See? That was simple, and unlike you, I didn't have to engage in personal insults in the process.

Do you happen to be a Christian? Many Christians here get pretty jumpy around questions...