Will Trump pardon himself?

Temujin

So he is going to pardon himself for the crime of . . . and there insert the entire US Code? The left has been so irrational for so long now, they may never recover the ability to think coherently.
Don't be silly. WE don't know. HE presumably does. IF he thinks it necessary, then he may pardon himself.

Thistle

Don't be silly.
Sillier than the premise of this conversation? That's impossible.
WE don't know. HE presumably does.
Check this out. He didn't commit a crime. He is the most investigated president in history; every investigation launched on a completely fallacious predicate. Every investigation predicated on supreme hatred and guile directed toward every American who voted for Donald Trump.
IF he thinks it necessary, then he may pardon himself.
What do you call it when people want those things they perceive to be black to be blacker than they really are? There are higher uses for your imagination.

Temujin

Sillier than the premise of this conversation? That's impossible.
Not really. It's a hypothetical situation, but not that far fetched.

Check this out. He didn't commit a crime. He is the most investigated president in history; every investigation launched on a completely fallacious predicate. Every investigation predicated on supreme hatred and guile directed toward every American who voted for Donald Trump.
Yes he was investigated. Was he exonerated? No. Are there outstanding accusations into serious crimes including sexual assault and fraud? Yes. Is it inconceivable that other accusations are brought after he leaves office? No.
[QUOTE y
What do you call it when people want those things they perceive to be black to be blacker than they really are? There are higher uses for your imagination.
[/QUOTE]No idea, but as that seems to be what you are doing regarding this election, perhaps you could tell me.

The OP posed a question. I answered it. Personally I have no dog in this fight. As long as Trump leaves the world stage, and as long as he doesn't come to the UK, I don't care what happens to him.

Thistle

Not really. It's a hypothetical situation, but not that far fetched.
The proposition that is far fetched is the notion that Trumps critics would treat him with the dignity due any person by virtue of their humanity.
Yes he was investigated. Was he exonerated? No.
Clever in a stupid kind of way. It is impossible to prove a negative. So reversing the burden of proof works just as well if I make an accusation about you. I've seen no evidence you didn't steal the Lindbergh baby. There is a very good reason you never reverse the burden of proof. We have a name for that. It's called injustice.
Are there outstanding accusations into serious crimes including sexual assault and fraud? Yes. Is it inconceivable that other accusations are brought after he leaves office? No.
It's not inconceivable that you could be charge with something more malignant than any charge that Donald Trump will ever face. Shall I start a thread speculating on what you might do in that eventuality?
Thistle: What do you call it when people want those things they perceive to be black to be blacker than they really are? There are higher uses for your imagination.

No idea, but as that seems to be what you are doing regarding this election, perhaps you could tell me.
If I told you there was certainly a murder in Chicago last night without checking the news, would I be malignantly pining for things to be blacker than they are? No, because there are murders in Chicago every night. The suggestion that there is significant fraud in this election is equally well grounded. Biden was supposed to win in a landslide on the crest of a giant blue wave. The Democrats lost significant numbers in the house and Pelosi will almost certainly loose her Speaker-ship because of that. The polls had Biden winning by seven points on average across the states. This falls way outside the margin of possible innocent error. The forces aligned to engineer Biden into office don't stop with the pollsters, they don't stop with the press, the idea that they don't include Democrat pols in heavily Democrat cities is insane. This is particularly true given that at 10:00 Pm election night all the counting stopped in all the swing state Democrat cities simultaneously. When they stopped counting Trump was ahead and increasing his margin but when they resumed Trump started moving in the opposite direction. That is a very, very, very black scenario I can't make it blacker. All I can to as describe it.
The OP posed a question. I answered it. Personally I have no dog in this fight. As long as Trump leaves the world stage, and as long as he doesn't come to the UK, I don't care what happens to him.
As long as Trump is president he is on the world stage, so you do have a dog in this fight.

Whateverman

REPORT: TRUMP HAS REPEATEDLY ASKED IF HE CAN “PREEMPTIVELY” PARDON HIMSELF

Joe Biden will move into the White House on January 20, 2021, and Trump will revert to being just another civilian, albeit one with so much debt and bitterness that national security experts fear the possibly that he might reveal state secrets for money. Also: he’ll no longer be able to use the staff of the Justice Department as his personal legal team to fend off prosecutors, which is a very worrisome thing for a guy who’s potentially committed numerous crimes; we know this because, according to the New York Times, he’s concerned “not only about existing investigations in New York, but the potential for new federal probes as well.” And that obviously brings us to the question of whether or not he might actually try to pardon himself. And the answer to that question is: it definitely sounds like he might!

CNN reports that Trump has been asking aides since 2017 if he can self-pardon, which is just an amazing thing to behold given that he had just been inaugurated and apparently his first order of business as president was to be like, “Soooo....I was talking with some people and they were asking me, ‘Hey, Don, you’re president. You know these things, these pardons, are you allowed to do them on yourself?’ And I thought, That’s a great question. I had never thought of that but it’s a beautiful question.” According to one former White House official, Trump has also asked about pardons for his family, which makes sense given that they work together at the Trump Organization and possibly engaged in various forms of tax fraud together, among other things. Perhaps most incredibly, Trump reportedly “even asked if he could issue pardons preemptively for things people could be charged with in the future,” said the former official. Y’know, like a get-out-of-jail-free card for life just in case you decide to commit a crime at any point in the future.

Not surprisingly, because Trump has the mind of a child, the former official said that “Once he learned about it, he was obsessed with the power of pardons. I always thought he also liked it because it was a way to do a favor.” So taken was Trump by the idea of the ability to wave a wand and get rid of any legal consequences for a criminal conviction that senior officials would apparently bring it up out of nowhere if they needed to get him to shut up about something else:

One former official said Trump was so fascinated by his pardon powers that senior-level officials would sometimes bring up their research on the matter just to get Trump off another subject they wanted to steer away from.

“He asked stuff [about pardons] all the time—asking this stuff of everybody,” one person said, meaning there’s a nonzero chance Trump would bring up pardons with, like, the Secret Service, the East Wing housekeeper, and whoever was forced to dress up as the Easter Bunny after Sean Spicer was put out to pasture.

Regarding whether or not Trump would actually pardon himself, former aides who say he wouldn’t do it believe so only because “doing so would imply he’s guilty of something.”

Temujin

The proposition that is far fetched is the notion that Trumps critics would treat him with the dignity due any person by virtue of their humanity.
Some individuals manage to live their lives in such a way that their membership of the human race is subsumed by their disgusting personality. Why do you think that Trump is so detested? Yes, he is also venerated. Both sides regard the feelings of the other as unjustified, even inexplicable. The bottom line is that Trump would get treated with dignity if he was prepared to treat others with dignity. This he has never done, in private or in public. As an ex-serviceman myself, I found the comments he has made about service personnel, coming as they do from a draft dodger, to be inexcusable. He has voided any shred of respect he is due.
Clever in a stupid kind of way. It is impossible to prove a negative. So reversing the burden of proof works just as well if I make an accusation about you. I've seen no evidence you didn't steal the Lindbergh baby. There is a very good reason you never reverse the burden of proof. We have a name for that. It's called injustice.
The man was impeached. He would have been charged with obstruction of justice if he wasn't president.

It's not inconceivable that you could be charge with something more malignant than any charge that Donald Trump will ever face. Shall I start a thread speculating on what you might do in that eventuality?
if you wish. I doubt anyone will be interested.

If I told you there was certainly a murder in Chicago last night without checking the news, would I be malignantly pining for things to be blacker than they are? No, because there are murders in Chicago every night. The suggestion that there is significant fraud in this election is equally well grounded. Biden was supposed to win in a landslide on the crest of a giant blue wave. The Democrats lost significant numbers in the house and Pelosi will almost certainly loose her Speaker-ship because of that. The polls had Biden winning by seven points on average across the states. This falls way outside the margin of possible innocent error. The forces aligned to engineer Biden into office don't stop with the pollsters, they don't stop with the press, the idea that they don't include Democrat pols in heavily Democrat cities is insane.
The reason that fraud was suspected by Trump supporters was that Trump was trailing it for months.
This is particularly true given that at 10:00 Pm election night all the counting stopped in all the swing state Democrat cities simultaneously. When they stopped counting Trump was ahead and increasing his margin but when they resumed Trump started moving in the opposite direction. That is a very, very, very black scenario I can't make it blacker. All I can to as describe it.
. It simply didn't happen. This is a fiction posted on Facebook with no evidence to back it up. Ten minutes on Google would show you what a fiction this is. Except you won't look at it or believe it. You would much rather believe a conspiracy theory, however dark and inconceivable, than acknowledge that your man was beaten fairly. That's your problem, not reality's.

As long as Trump is president he is on the world stage, so you do have a dog in this fight.
Not really. The results are in. The certification will be begin shortly. The inauguration of Biden will take place in January. The relevant state and federal authorities, properly constituted have declared the election fair. The Rumor Control site, run by the government, have given the lie to the conspiracy theories, including all those you have mentioned. I'm sure that Trump will be polluting the airwaves for years to come, but hopefully we will be spared his malign influence on this side of the Atlantic.

ferengi

Sure. You'll have to wait until Jan 21st.
I am asking you to prove YOUR claims -
It may be possible that the universe is eternal.
It may be possible that the universe has a beginning that was uncaused.
It may be possible that the universe is self-caused.
It may be possible that the universe was caused by something else.
It may be possible that there are other possibilities not mentioned.

Temujin

I am asking you to prove YOUR claims -
It may be possible that the universe is eternal.
It may be possible that the universe has a beginning that was uncaused.
It may be possible that the universe is self-caused.
It may be possible that the universe was caused by something else.
It may be possible that there are other possibilities not mentioned.
Umm. Wrong thread. Off topic.