Without theism, atheism is like Garfunkel without Simon

bigthinker

Hilarious. You acknowledge yourself as deaf.
Metaphorically, yes.
The Christian is the person raising their voice thinking the dead person will hear.
Of course the Christian isn't actual raising their voice, it's a metaphor.
You understand how metaphors work. don't you?

stiggy wiggy

Metaphorically, yes.
The Christian is the person raising their voice thinking the dead person will hear.
Of course the Christian isn't actual raising their voice, it's a metaphor.
You understand how metaphors work. don't you?

Yeah, you're metaphorically deaf, as you just admitted.

bigthinker

For admittedly deaf people like you? No way.
Exactly. That's the point of the metaphor.
Congratulations Stiggy, you got it correct.
All the big thinking in the world can't get you out of this one.
Not sure what you mean by that...
The fact that you understand the metaphor is sufficient.
I thought the meaning was pretty clear; the fact that you get it confirms it.
Cheers.

treeplanter

The worldwide percentage of those claiming to be atheists is estimated at 7%. Just for fun let's imagine a world in which it were near 100%. Would people gather to discuss their atheism? Are there currently gatherings of people discussing their agreement that the earth is not flat? Are we spheroid earthers as a general rule angry enough at the <.001% of flat earthers to spend hours a day vehemently railing against their beliefs?

I guess my thoughts may have once again gone misleading, but it seems to me that you atheists need us theists to spark any conversation about your lack of belief. Your philosophy is essentially negative in nature. Even if in one of these "atheist clubs"of which Gus was a member (though he may have been kidding), the members were to discuss the atheist philosophy of Nietzsche versus that of Voltaire, devoid of those two guys' rabid polemics against theism, there would be little to discuss.

Atheists: Sadly, your philosophy of life needs theism in order to have any meat on its bones. It is a scavenger philosophy eating away at that meat, but with a couple of exceptions I am quite fond of y'all and constantly pray that even the exceptions may ultimately find the Peace that will never come with what is little more than lack of belief.
You haven't changed any, Stigs!

Still ignorant, I see, to the fact that an absence of belief in God has absolutely NOTHING to do with an atheist's 'philosophy of life'...

Nonetheless, I remain somewhat fond of you