Without theism, atheism is like Garfunkel without Simon

Tiburon

So you don't have one?
Of course I have a philosophy of life. But not believing in a God is hardly a philosophy is it? My philosophy is basically a humanist one.
What is your philosophy of life?

So what IS the meaning of your life?
My life doesn't have a meaning. There are things that give my life meaning. Sharing time with family and friends. Having new experiences. Learning new things. Doing more things that I find enjoyable and less of those I don't. Helping others. etc.
What would you say is the meaning of your life?

Tiburon

Wrong language eh....
The attached picture is what the bible describes.

All the other roads, plateaus, paths, trails, etc.... all end at a huge crevasse, and flames. That crevasse is at the end of all human life.

Only the cross of Jesus is the path that gets us safely across the crevasse, and into the paradise we were designed for.

So... wrong language.... ok. According to whom?

It's curious that the creator of the cosmos and the human race has chosen the language of preaching the cross of Jesus.

1Co 1:21 WEB For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe.

The one person who actually sees everything. Who knows everything, and has given clear information to make sure that we get it.

And don't think for a heartbeat that he doesn't understand that you think it's the wrong language.

There's something about his choosing this method to get the message to you.

Jesus described it as a farmer casting seed for his fields.
It's actually called, broadcasting.

An ancient method of planting seeds.
" it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe."
It sounds like heaven is going to be full of idiots.

Furion

Just people who love Him. I know that is upsetting to you but you'll just have to get over your clearly superior attitude.

The common belief among CARM atheists is the smart people go to the hell party with free beer.

Authentic Nouveau

No. Once free of religion we'd all be free to spend our time more productively.

Of course it is. That's because theism is without merit and deserves to be opposed.

Yes, just as anti-alchemy relied upon alchemy. That doesn't mean alchemy had any real merit. We're all now a-alchemists by default. It's just now so obvious that it doesn't require discussion. If we can get to the same place with atheism then that would be great.
Fundie atheist religionists have tried to remove millions of believers. Atheists oppose Truth.

Tercon

A-theists and religious fundamentalists justify their respective positions based upon the irrational position of the other. When actually there exists a fair rational position in the middle somewhere.

What's that "rational position in the middle somewhere" you're referring to?

A-theists convince themselves that they are better off than those who believe in myths and superstitions, and fundamentalists convince themselves that they are better off than denying the existence of God. Each position is actually the extreme opposite of the other, dragging both into irrationality.

All knowledge of the truth and reality requires a believing mind and without a believing mind nothing can be known to exist or occur. So, someone who disbelieves belief is able to make the truth and reality known to them, aka an atheist's unbelieving mind can't make the truth and reality known to themselves.

It is why you guys need each other.

All the believer needs is to trust and believe God.

The fair position neither believes in superstitions nor denies a cause of Good in the universe.

Sorry, but you can't even know what good is until you believe in God.

SteveB

" it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe."
Probably.
Thankfully, God has saw fit to be gracious enough to save people who believe him, instead of making it for people who have enough strength to keep the law, and make themselves good enough to earn God's favor.

Furthermore, God said that he will make us whole, in body, mind, and spirit, so whatever flaws we have will be gone.

Tiburon

Just people who love Him. I know that is upsetting to you but you'll just have to get over your clearly superior attitude.

The common belief among CARM atheists is the smart people go to the hell party with free beer.
I'm just saying that if you purposefully make your preaching foolish why would you expect to attract any but the foolish?
The common belief among CARM atheists is that we will be dead.

Tiburon

Probably.
Thankfully, God has saw fit to be gracious enough to save people who believe him, instead of making it for people who have enough strength to keep the law, and make themselves good enough to earn God's favor.

Furthermore, God said that he will make us whole, in body, mind, and spirit, so whatever flaws we have will be gone.
Why bother creating the law then?

Tiburon

Probably.

According to the Bible. I have yet to see any evidence that supports God's authorship.

Furion

I'm just saying that if you purposefully make your preaching foolish why would you expect to attract any but the foolish?
Indeed.

Why do you suffer with these foolish people?

Here is an explanation as to why it is this way. Maybe you can see it, try not to take offense.

The downtrodden generally are not burdened with belief of their own goodness, their own merit. They are the ones already crying out to God because of their own suffering. Great suffering strips care of those things. God hears them, and they hear Him.

This is not the only reason of foolishness, but you can find proof in yourself, yes? Do you not think it foolish?

Myself, I do not. I think it the power of God, like others have said.

Most of us came to God barely hanging on in many ways. And because man is so arrogant in himself it often takes great suffering to see what God is saying. Christ stated often about those who can "hear his voice", this is what it means, your heart must be in the right place.

They realize the goodness in them is not really all that good, it's just a facade. And they also learn the hard way they are not in control. A man's world can crash in an instant, and that can help.

So when God tells us that although our sins are many, I will come to you and sup with you because He heard our cry, we heard His voice, that foolish thing we dare to believe. The better part is He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

I have read atheists here who call that groveling to a monster or some such. I call it recognizing who I am and recognizing who God is.

The common belief among CARM atheists is that we will be dead.
Inexistent is the word, I believe.

Last edited:

SteveB

According to the Bible. I have yet to see any evidence that supports God's authorship.
You're not a very good reader then.

2Ti 3:16 WEB Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness,

2Pe 1:16-21 WEB 16 For we didn’t follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 We heard this voice come out of heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 We have the more sure word of prophecy; and you do well that you heed it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns, and the morning star arises in your hearts: 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of private interpretation. 21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

The phrase,
Thus says the Lord occurs 415 in the old testament.

We then have the new testament where Jesus speaks.

So, God's authorship is throughout the entire bible.

I'll tell you what though...

Since you don't actually want to know the truth, just keep believing whatever you want. You'll find out the hard way how wrong you are, and then you'll get to live with the consequences for your deliberately choosing ignorance, instead of taking the time to learn to follow Jesus.

There!

Such an easy solution.

Tiburon

You're not a very good reader then.

2Ti 3:16 WEB Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness,

2Pe 1:16-21 WEB 16 For we didn’t follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 We heard this voice come out of heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 We have the more sure word of prophecy; and you do well that you heed it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns, and the morning star arises in your hearts: 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of private interpretation. 21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

The phrase,
Thus says the Lord occurs 415 in the old testament.

We then have the new testament where Jesus speaks.

So, God's authorship is throughout the entire bible.

I'll tell you what though...

Since you don't actually want to know the truth, just keep believing whatever you want. You'll find out the hard way how wrong you are, and then you'll get to live with the consequences for your deliberately choosing ignorance, instead of taking the time to learn to follow Jesus.

There!

Such an easy solution.
I too can write a book chock full of Thus says the Lord. That doesn't mean it's true. It just means that the people who wrote it thought it was true.
Just like you.