Woe

Just now I heard an audible voice saying the word "Woe" over and over again, about 16 times.
There is a vast and extensive amount of information on the subject of audible voices. Most deal with it from a psychological or psychiatric perspective. However, there is also considerable information on the biological evidence which points to a breakdown of the bicameral mind around 2,500 years ago.

Prior to that, the left and right hemispheres of the brain were integrally connected, so much so that for all practical intents and purposes, everyone was effectively unconscious. This was a time when everyone could hear the gods speaking to them. The reality is that one half of the brain was producing the voice while the other half was listening to it.

Homer documents this phenomenon by presenting those who lived prior to the breakdown in the Iliad, and then presenting that breakdown in The Odyssey in the personage of Odysseus himself.

Odysseus is "the Great Tactician" because he has become fully conscious of his surroundings through this connection between the two hemispheres being severed. He is conscious of his own thoughts. He knows where they're coming from, and unlike those around him; he can override their audible suggestions with his own.

It is no coincidence that those who hear these voices routinely hear them in Iambic hexameter which is what the Iliad and Odyssey were recited and eventually written in.

Quite often this can be seen in Pentecostal or charismatic church services. People begin speaking in tongues and the chattering is in iambic hexameter. It is even more remarkable when this connection is seen in those with schizophrenia.

I've personally witnessed this phenomenon in someone with schizophrenia. They could ramble on indefinitely in iambic hexameter all the while communicating in perfectly coherent speech. I've even had people point this out to me and noticed it with myself and those I'm speaking with, albeit in significantly shorter duration than that of those with schizophrenia.

For anyone interested in observing this phenomenon, there is probably no better way to develop this ability than by reading iambic hexameter or heroic verse out loud to yourself. The more you do this, the more readily you will be able to hear it in those who are speaking around you.

The repetitive "woes" were probably iambs.

Back