WOF and being a son of Abraham

Dizerner

25 "But Abraham said,`Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. (Luk 16:25 NKJ)

Yodas_Prodigy

25 "But Abraham said,`Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. (Luk 16:25 NKJ)
So what kind of Son was Abraham speaking to and what kind of son was Paul speaking of?

tbeachhead

So what kind of Son was Abraham speaking to and what kind of son was Paul speaking of?
A son is born of the seed of the father...What is planted in me is this: "Abraham took God at His Word and it counted for him as righteousness."

Folks who are willing to take the Word of God as He has revealed Himself are of that same seed.

In this case, Abraham called him son who was a direct descendant. If that Lazarus were I, he would still have addressed me as son. Paul was speaking of me in this light, as Abraham's child and co-heir.

Dizerner

11 "And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
12 "But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Mat 8:11-12 NKJ)

tbeachhead

11 "And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
12 "But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Mat 8:11-12 NKJ)
Yep...Not all "sons" are actually sons. This is a pretty harsh response to the concept of OSAS.

Yodas_Prodigy

One of you is isolating the passage without looking at the context and all of scripture. The other is focusing in on one word and running with that...
Here, look at the context...

5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

So, try again...

Dizerner

One of you is isolating the passage without looking at the context and all of scripture. The other is focusing in on one word and running with that...
Here, look at the context...

5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

So, try again...

`For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.'" (Luk 14:24 NKJ)

Dizerner

Yep...Not all "sons" are actually sons. This is a pretty harsh response to the concept of OSAS.

I honestly think the only way a person can believe in OSAS is to be indoctrinated by people telling them it's true. The lie seems to go deep.

I read the Bible for years and the idea never even occurred to me that it was a possibility.

Yodas_Prodigy

I honestly think the only way a person can believe in OSAS is to be indoctrinated by people telling them it's true. The lie seems to go deep.

I read the Bible for years and the idea never even occurred to me that it was a possibility.

Well... I'm all for you denying eternal security... I for one hold to the security of the believer... I am amazed how someone could deny it. Scripture clearly teaches security of the believer...

But our separation comes at our definitions of free will and how one gets saved... And even how we view our being kept saved...

Tallen

`For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.'" (Luk 14:24 NKJ)
And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
Galatians 3:8 KJV

BlessedAnomaly

Or to read the Bible honestly.

I read it for years and couldn't come away with anything else even though my TV preacher heroes were telling me otherwise. I didn't even come across a Calvinist, realizing it, until I came to the forums. And then their idea of OSAS wrapped in the elect was so far on the other end of the spectrum as to be useless.

BlessedAnomaly

Has nothing to do with OSAS at the level you try to apply. And yet it has everything to do with it when we understand who God's sons are.

Galatians 3:7 (NKJV)
Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham.​

Doesn't say the seed of Abraham are of faith; it says those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. That is a spiritual concept, and you will not snatch that from God's hand, nor break the seal of the Holy Spirit over it.

Galatians 3:7 (NET)
so then, understand that those who believe are the sons of Abraham.​

God controls this. God credited Abraham righteousness (not Abraham's belief). God justified the Gentiles (long before they knew God).

Pete, it is important to note:

Galatians 3:15
Brothers and sisters, I offer an example from everyday life: When a covenant has been ratified, even though it is only a human contract, no one can set it aside or add anything to it.​

No one. Because this covenant that saved you and me was not made to you and me, but to Christ Jesus. It is not your belief that saves you, but it is...

Galatians 3:22b
because of the faithfulness of Jesus Christ—to those who believe.​

(Emphasis on "to.")