wof and James 1:18

Tallen

“Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” (James 1:18, KJV)

“Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” (James 1:18, KJV)
Faith comes by hearing...and hearing by the Word of God...Taking God at His word is how new life begins. That's why everything depends on the Word of Faith that we preach.

Faith comes by hearing...and hearing by the Word of God...Taking God at His word is how new life begins. That's why everything depends on the Word of Faith that we preach.

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

This passage in the OP tells us that God brought forth believers through the word of truth. It doesn't mention faith. I want to carry this onward.

Ephesians 2:4-5
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

We are made alive by the Spirit before we are able to exercise faith.

Of course, faith is part of the salvation process. And faith does come by hearing God's word. I don't see it as a prime driver of the OP verse...

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

This passage in the OP tells us that God brought forth believers through the word of truth. It doesn't mention faith. I want to carry this onward.
James doesn't mention faith...

...but Paul does. "We are saved by grace through faith..." remember that one? How about, "Faith comes by hearing...and hearing by..." go ahead. carry this onward...Oh, look...you mention it below. We're saved by faith in the Word of Truth...

Ephesians 2:4-5
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—
Oh...wait...it's coming to me...somewhere...oh, yeah. Two verses down: "8For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast." By grace you have been saved...through faith. And faith comes by hearing the Word.
We are made alive by the Spirit before we are able to exercise faith.
Our names are written and our works proclaimed before we claim our first day.
Of course, faith is part of the salvation process. And faith does come by hearing God's word. I don't see it as a prime driver of the OP verse...
There's a lot you don't see. That's ok. It's still there. Not hidden.

Last edited:
Oh...wait...it's coming to me...somewhere...oh, yeah. Two verses down: "8For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast." By grace you have been saved...through faith. And faith comes by hearing the Word.

What is the gift? Read it carefully.

What is the gift? Read it carefully.
Joe, this is such a good question, I can’t do it Justice on my phone without egregious auto encrypt errors. I need to go back to the Greek to see. Give me a bit. I’ll work on it. I promise my answer won’t be a pat one.

Back