Working to keep your salvation

Seems some here believe they are doing this.

This is no different in essence to working to get salvation.

Its Do do religion.

Don't do it friends.

Flush it.
One of the things that woke me up to Calvinistic thought was that.
I once believed you could lose your salvation....I understood that salvation wasn't a result of works...and if so neither was working a means of sustaining salvation.

In the "you can lose salvation sect" one goes about wondering what they have to do today to remain saved.
With the OSAS Christ believers they wonder what they can do today to glorify God by their works.

another dead, lifeless thread filled with assumptions and no evidence, just more false assertions. a real sign of desperation lol.

hope this helps !!!

This belongs in the Catholic / Calvinist forum . ??

The apple ? didn’t fall far from the tree ?

baptism saves ?

infant baptism ?

Work work work oh you religious ones . Saved by rituals and the doctrines of men.

Php 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

“We will, but God works the will in us. We work, therefore, but God works the working in us” (Augustine).

#863117 , @Reformedguy

we may not know alot of things in life (biblically / spiritually) for quite some time. it can be confusing, but we can work with / hold to what we have (what we understand at the time, and that is enough).

we really must walk by faith (often times), + what we've been given. God will reveal in time the answers to all we don't get totally or is confusing. others may even get confused by us / our beliefs (and not even like us) ... but they are not God... we follow Christ...

out of all our / the world's darknesses, and regardless of any one else's; though at any turn we can seek to lift others higher to God / Christ (and / or ask God to do likewise for us) -- if / when our minds are set on God / Philippians 4:8...

Last edited:

This is no different in essence to working to get salvation.

Its Do do religion.

Don't do it friends.

Flush it.
Stony ground hearers receive the Word of God with joy, . . . and then what happens!

Mar 4:16-17 These in the same way are those who are sown on the rocky places, who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with joy. (17) They have no root in themselves, but are short-lived. When oppression or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they stumble.

Php 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

“We will, but God works the will in us. We work, therefore, but God works the working in us” (Augustine).
Hello Bocco, just like the early Berean Christians, I'm sure that I will love finally getting to meet the brothers and sisters in Philippi who Paul refers to above (in v12) as "my beloved", and as those who "always obeyed", not only choosing to do so when the Apostle was with them but, amazingly, to an even greater degree "in his absence"/after he'd left them.

WOW :)

Paul's following statement (in v12) has always seemed a bit astounding to me as a result, especially since it was this particular group of Christians that he was admonishing most immediately with the words, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling". So, I decided that taking a little closer look at what he was actually saying in the last third of v12, as well how it connected with what he said in the following verse, was a good idea.

These are my thoughts so far (I'd love to hear what you think), that "working OUT" our salvation is hardly the same thing as "working FOR" or "working AT" or "working UP" our salvation (salvation being something that these faithful believers in Philippi were clearly in possession of already). So, it seems to me that the Apostle was speaking to/about true believers "working out" or 'expressing outwardly'
("expressing in action", Packer, JI, see below) the salvation that God had (already) 'worked in' them, IOW, the salvation that they ~already~ possessed.

(I'm not sure if the analogy of "working out" our bodies to strengthen and improve them, not to "acquire" them somehow :giggle: , is a good analogy, but I thought that I'd suggest it here anyway ;)).​

I'll stop here to hear what you have to say (before proceeding on to the "fear and trembling" part of v12, v13 and Augustine's statement too).

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - here's a more complete excerpt of something that I found from Dr. J I Packer (on Sanctification) that I liked and quoted above (in very small part). Perhaps it will prove to be useful to the discussion as well?

"Regeneration is birth; sanctification is growth.
In regeneration, God implants desires that were not there before: desire for God, for holiness, and for the hallowing and glorifying of God’s name in this world; desire to pray, worship, love, serve, honor, and please God; desire to show love and bring benefit to others.
In sanctification, the Holy Spirit “works in you to will and to act” according to God’s purpose; what He does is prompt you to “work out your salvation” (i.e., express it in action) by fulfilling these new desires (Phil. 2:12–13). Christians become increasingly Christlike as the moral profile of Jesus (the “fruit of the Spirit”) is progressively formed in them (2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19, 5:22–25).
Paul’s use of glory in 2 Corinthians 3:18 shows that for him sanctification of character is glorification begun. Then the physical transformation that gives us a body like Christ’s, one that will match our totally transformed character and be a perfect means of expressing it, will be glorification completed (Phil. 3:20–21; 1 Cor. 15:49–53)."

Last edited:
Stony ground hearers receive the Word of God with joy, . . . and then what happens!

Mar 4:16-17 These in the same way are those who are sown on the rocky places, who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with joy. (17) They have no root in themselves, but are short-lived. When oppression or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they stumble.
Amen

Calvinism right ?

Do you think we are so post to be elected for their being elected.

Maybe as in a servant role?

For their "election".

And them seeking to convert others to such.

For thier special "election" thingy, of no one can be?

I'll stop here to hear what you have to say
I agree with you. Working out is not working for. It makes me think of this verse:
Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

"Created" is talking about the New Man "which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." Eph 4:24

The Christian is to walk in newness of life, Rom_6:4, after the spirit, Rom_8:4, in honesty, Rom_13:13, by faith, 2Co_5:7, in good works, Eph_2:10, in love, Eph_5:2, in wisdom, Col_4:5, in truth, 2Jn_1:4, after the commandments of the Lord, 2Jn_1:6. And, negatively, not after the flesh, Rom_8:4; not after the manner of men, 1Co_3:3; not in craftiness, 2Co_4:2; not by sight, 2Co_5:7; not in the vanity of the mind, Eph_4:17; not disorderly, 2Th_3:6."
(from The Ultimate Cross-Reference Treasury in e-Sword)

Back