You Might Be A Determinist If…

Sketo

Joe was walking through town and notice a sign strategically placed on the walk way. It was a sign for an ice cream shop advertising 31 different flavors. He was not even thinking about ice cream until he inadvertently saw the sign and, because of his past experiences, it caused him to think of his favorite flavor Rocky Road. He thought “I wonder if they have Rocky Road” so he entered the shop to see. As he walked in the sweet smell of waffle cones brought back past memories. He scanned over all 31 flavors and noticed that there were many flavors he had tried in the past including some he liked and some he didn’t like. While he was scanning he found that they did in fact have his favorite Rocky Road. At this moment his mouth started to water and he really wanted to eat a waffle cone full of Rocky Road. Nothing outside of Joe was holding him back from choosing any other flavor but at this moment Rocky Road was his greatest desire…

Why would Joe not choose Rocky Road?

(You might just be a Determinist if you can’t answer this question without changing or adding a deterministic reason…)

Bonus question:
Would Joe have desired Rocky Road ice cream, at that same moment, if he never saw the sign in the first place?

CCP

Joe was walking through town and notice a sign strategically placed on the walk way. It was a sign for an ice cream shop advertising 31 different flavors. He was not even thinking about ice cream until he inadvertently saw the sign and, because of his past experiences, it caused him to think of his favorite flavor Rocky Road. He thought “I wonder if they have Rocky Road” so he entered the shop to see. As he walked in the sweet smell of waffle cones brought back past memories. He scanned over all 31 flavors and noticed that there were many flavors he had tried in the past including some he liked and some he didn’t like. While he was scanning he found that they did in fact have his favorite Rocky Road. At this moment his mouth started to water and he really wanted to eat a waffle cone full of Rocky Road. Nothing outside of Joe was holding him back from choosing any other flavor but at this moment Rocky Road was his greatest desire…

(You might just be a Determinist if you can’t answer this question without changing or adding a deterministic reason…)

Bonus question:
Would Joe have desired Rocky Road ice cream, at that same moment, if he never saw the sign in the first place?

CCP
Because of the external influence that Vanilla icecream is cheaper?

Last edited:
Lol the infamous “ secret “ and “ mysterious “ will . When you cannot explain your own doctrine you get the get out of jail free card with secret and mysterious rofl ?

I can’t explain what I believe because it’s a secret, a mystery . Blind faith is a better description lol.
Lol, you said you are only posting to me; but you posted to him...

Don't you mean thanks for the new Thread?

If Joe had chosen something else...he would not have gotten Rocky Road.

Bonus question:
No.

True, but the question is why would “Joe choose something else”?

There may be another flavor that Joe likes equally as well???

If it's hot out Joe may choose a bowl over the waffle cone to prevent the ice cream dripping.

Decretive will: He said "No thanks" to same topic?
Secretive will: He did not say "No thanks" to rabbit trails?

What will really blow your mind is… ? Would he have posted “No thanks”, at the same moment, if I never posted this OP in the first place?

There may be another flavor that Joe likes equally as well???

If it's hot out Joe may choose a bowl over the waffle cone to prevent the ice cream dripping.

Only a Determinist would need to change something about, or add something to, the original OP scenario in order to bring about a different result.

He could libertarianly have considered between a the first and second best ie vanilla and made a random choice in his mind like flipping a coin and chosen vanilla.

Bonus question:

Probably not.

Bonus question:

CCP
Joe desired the rocky road (why any Joe would is beyond me lol), but Joe put himself on a diet and decided it best to have the no sugar added vanilla instead. What Joe really wanted was the rocky road, but of his own will he decided differently than what his fleshly appetite desired.

Joe could have desired the rocky road without any external triggers, like we all have desires without being triggered by external causes. Could it be at the same time, who knows.

God bless

Joe desired the rocky road (why any Joe would is beyond me lol), but Joe put himself on a diet and decided it best to have the no sugar added vanilla instead. What Joe really wanted was the rocky road, but of his own will he decided differently than what his fleshly appetite desired.

Joe could have desired the rocky road without any external triggers, like we all have desires without being triggered by external causes. Could it be at the same time, who knows.

God bless

I would love for you to make a cause and effect argument without external cause. The laws of cause and effect are predetermined by God.

Back