YOUR FAITH HAS SAVED YOU!

praise_yeshua

Luk 7:48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
Luk 7:49 Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?”
Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

ReverendRV

Luk 7:49 Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?”
Sola Fide!

Johnnybgood

I have read through a few threads and see a division on people’s view on faith and regeneration . Like you pointed out Jesus said your faith has saved you. Now if regeneration precedes faith then what do we do with those who Jesus healed and stopped following Him ? Did they all of a sudden become unregenerate ? Did those who were healed of their sickness get back their sickness ? If faith equals being saved then unbelief equals being unsaved. I think this is an issue for those who believe that way. What are your thoughts ?

civic

Brother are you implying Calvinists do not believe the above ? Thanks !

praise_yeshua

Brother are you implying Calvinists do not believe the above ? Thanks !

I don't know to what degree a Calvinist believes this. I'm sure plenty would claim they believe it.

The overwhelming "refrain" from Calvinism is that it is really God's faith that is gifted to the "believer".

ReverendRV

I don't know to what degree a Calvinist believes this. I'm sure plenty would claim they believe it.

The overwhelming "refrain" from Calvinism is that it is really God's faith that is gifted to the "believer".
The degree to which we believe it is known as Sola Fide; IE Faith Alone. Justification through Faith is SO important, we say it's 'as if' it were the lone factor of Salvation...

The reason for that refrain is because Calvinism is being argued against here; and heartily defended here. But let's suppose the Calvinists went to the Catholicism Board; what would happen? I think you would witness a resounding refrain of Sola Fide...

Coming to Forums like this definitely gives you a one-sided impression of us ..

Last edited:

ReverendRV

An example of what typically goes on here can be seen in your "Passover" of my first response to you; Post #2. Reasonable answers get ignored in favor of Posts which keep the argument alive...

Wouldn't it be a blessing if we actually stopped arguing? We might have to go Witnessing just to have a reason to flex our Spiritual muscles...

Last edited:

brightfame52

It was really the object of her Faith who saved her and forgave her sins, Jesus Christ ! Her Faith was in Christ, not n her faith friend !

praise_yeshua

It was really the object of her Faith who saved her and forgave her sins, Jesus Christ ! Her Faith was in Christ, not n her faith friend !

That isn't what Jesus said. Why do you ignore what Jesus said? Jesus said her faith had saved her. Read it again...

praise_yeshua

An example of what typically goes on here can be seen in your "Passover" of my first response to you; Post #2. Reasonable answers get ignored in favor of Posts which keep the argument alive...

Wouldn't it be a blessing if we actually stopped arguing? We might have to go Witnessing just to have a reason to flex our Spiritual muscles...

I didn't see where your comments was contrary to what I wrote.

Your comments are an example of what typically goes on here. You assume too much.

I do not deny that Calvinism rightfully teaches "faith alone". My post was to deal with the origins of faith.

Water comes from God. Air comes from God. The very soul of man comes from God. The fact there is nothing that exists without the express will of God, doesn't establish the origins of faith as referenced by Jesus Christ.

It is one thing to witness to the existence of faith. It is another to exercise faith. This women in Luke 7:50 exercised "her faith". "Her faith" saved her.

I have never heard a single Calvinist in my life reference Luke 7:50 WITHOUT.... ADDING.... the Calvinisnt "refrain" that it really isn't her faith. That "GOD gifted her with saving faith".

Well. That is clearly contrary to what Luke 7:50 says. I believe Jesus. I see no reason to believe the Calvinist.

praise_yeshua

The degree to which we believe it is known as Sola Fide; IE Faith Alone. Justification through Faith is SO important, we say it's 'as if' it were the lone factor of Salvation...

The reason for that refrain is because Calvinism is being argued against here; and heartily defended here. But let's suppose the Calvinists went to the Catholicism Board; what would happen? I think you would witness a resounding refrain of Sola Fide...

Coming to Forums like this definitely gives you a one-sided impression of us ..

I've dealt with Calvinism since before these boards every existed. Again. As typical with what you "happens here"... you assume too much.

praise_yeshua

I have read through a few threads and see a division on people’s view on faith and regeneration . Like you pointed out Jesus said your faith has saved you. Now if regeneration precedes faith then what do we do with those who Jesus healed and stopped following Him ? Did they all of a sudden become unregenerate ? Did those who were healed of their sickness get back their sickness ? If faith equals being saved then unbelief equals being unsaved. I think this is an issue for those who believe that way. What are your thoughts ?

I see no reason from the Scripture to believe that regeneration precedes faith. If you study faith through the Scripture you will find that faith can be passed from one human being to another. In fact, Paul declared that Timothy's faith first dealt in his grandmother, down through his mother to Timothy. Abraham passed on his faith to his children. God said so and I believe it.

Gen 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Paul was explicit when he said under the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit.... that the very righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith.

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

It is living faith passed to another.

Theo1689

Bingo!

John 3:18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Doug

Can someone please explain to me why Calvinists ALWAYS ignore the word, "already" in this verse?

Theo1689

Now if regeneration precedes faith

It does.

1John 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.

Regeneration (being "born of God") results in:
- practicing righteousness (1John 2:29);
- no longer "practicing" (ie. habit) sinning (1 John 3:9)
- loving others (1 John 4:7)
- believing that Jesus is Christ (1 John 5:1).

then what do we do with those who Jesus healed and stopped following Him ? Did they all of a sudden become unregenerate ?

Why do you assume that those who were healed were also regenerated?
Healing can be thought of as a "type" for regeneration, but it is not itself regeneration.
Those who stopped following him were never regenerated to begin with:

1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.

Did those who were healed of their sickness get back their sickness ?

I would assume they stayed healed.

If faith equals being saved then unbelief equals being unsaved.

Yes, as a correlation, that is true.
But "healed" doesn't mean "saved".

And the key question (IMO) is where does faith come from?
God, or man?

Theo1689

I don't know to what degree a Calvinist believes this.

We believe it to the 100th degree.

I'm sure plenty would claim they believe it.

Why would you suggest we don't believe it, when we assert that we do?

Yes, and since Luke 7:48ff doesn't conflict with that at all, what exactly do you see as a problem?

Theo1689

I have never heard a single Calvinist in my life reference Luke 7:50 WITHOUT.... ADDING.... the Calvinisnt "refrain" that it really isn't her faith. That "GOD gifted her with saving faith".

But it IS her faith.
Once God gifts her with faith, it is HER faith.

Well. That is clearly contrary to what Luke 7:50 says. I believe Jesus. I see no reason to believe the Calvinist.

Nobody's forcing you to "believe the Calvinist".
You don't have to have perfect theology in order to be saved, fortunately.

praise_yeshua

But it IS her faith.
Once God gifts her with faith, it is HER faith.

As I mentioned to another poster. Jesus is reference her exercise of faith.

Your teaching results in God's action. Faith is action related. "Her" action. It isn't like "dirt" in the field that just lays there.

Theo1689

As I mentioned to another poster. Jesus is reference her exercise of faith.

Your teaching results in God's action. Faith is action related. "Her" action. It isn't like "dirt" in the field that just lays there.

God gave me my heart.
My heart beats.
So you're saying my heart isn't actively beating, since it wasn't originally mine?

If not, then why do you assume that about faith?

It seems like you're grasping at straws to find ANY reason to complain.

praise_yeshua

God gave me my heart.
My heart beats.
So you're saying my heart isn't actively beating, since it wasn't originally mine?

If not, then why do you assume that about faith?

You heart will cease to beat one day. Bad comparison. Faith is unique. We only understand it through the Scriptures. As I've mention to you before. The Scriptures teach that faith is passed from generation to generation. From man to man. That is not what Calvinism teaches.

It seems like you're grasping at straws to find ANY reason to complain.
We both find plenty of things to complain about.