YOUR FAITH HAS SAVED YOU!

Theo1689

You heart will cease to beat one day. Bad comparison. Faith is unique. We only understand it through the Scriptures. As I've mention to you before.

You confuse me with someone who is actually interested in what you believe.

The Scriptures teach that faith is passed from generation to generation. From man to man. That is not what Calvinism teaches.

No, that is NOT what the Scriptures teach.

2Tim. 1:5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

You make it sound like faith is some "genetic" trait, that is passed from generation to generation. It is not. And 2 Tim. 1:5 doesn't say that it is.

It simply says:
- Lois had faith;
- Eunice had faith;
- Timothy has faith.

It doesn't say Eunice "caught" it from Lois, or that Timothy "caught" it from Eunice.

praise_yeshua

You confuse me with someone who is actually interested in what you believe.

No, that is NOT what the Scriptures teach.

2Tim. 1:5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

You make it sound like faith is some "genetic" trait, that is passed from generation to generation. It is not. And 2 Tim. 1:5 doesn't say that it is.

It simply says:
- Lois had faith;
- Eunice had faith;
- Timothy has faith.

It doesn't say Eunice "caught" it from Lois, or that Timothy "caught" it from Eunice.

I didn't say anything about "caught". I said "passed"

Does "faith to faith" mean anything to you? The faith of Eunice , Lois and Timothy were connected.

I know you don't care what I believe. However, you're simply deflecting instead of dealing with what I wrote.

praise_yeshua

Yes....
But how to do you connect Rom. 1:17 to Lois, Eunice, and Timothy?

This should be VERY interesting...
Do you mind if I go get some popcorn for this? ;)

Glad you asked......

Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Why did Abraham's children express faith in God?

Isaac had faith because of Abraham. Jacob had faith because of Isaac...... on down the line.

The Gospel was preached to Abraham....

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

That might not have taken long enough to eat much popcorn........ ;)

brightfame52

We can agree on that friend!
Are you sure ? The women's Faith was in Christ ! Her sins were forgiven already, prior to her faith. So God will give Faith to all whom Christ is a Saviour to my friend, so Faith looks to Christ as already having saved one, its not a condition man performs to get himself saved. Do you agree with that my friend ?

civic

Are you sure ? The women's Faith was in Christ ! Her sins were forgiven already, prior to her faith. So God will give Faith to all whom Christ is a Saviour to my friend, so Faith looks to Christ as already having saved one, its not a condition man performs to get himself saved. Do you agree with that my friend ?
No I disagree the passage does not say what you have claimed.

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. 38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Her faith was demonstrated by her works( what she had done for Jesus with the perfume, tears and kissing Him). Because she demonstrated a real faith in Christ the result was her sins were forgiven.

You put the cart before the horse in the text. The text doesn't say what you have implied it says the reverse that her faith came prior to her sins being forgiven.

hope this helps !!!

Johnnybgood

It does.

1John 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.

Regeneration (being "born of God") results in:
- practicing righteousness (1John 2:29);
- no longer "practicing" (ie. habit) sinning (1 John 3:9)
- loving others (1 John 4:7)
- believing that Jesus is Christ (1 John 5:1).

Why do you assume that those who were healed were also regenerated?
Healing can be thought of as a "type" for regeneration, but it is not itself regeneration.
Those who stopped following him were never regenerated to begin with:

1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.

I would assume they stayed healed.

Yes, as a correlation, that is true.
But "healed" doesn't mean "saved".

And the key question (IMO) is where does faith come from?
God, or man?
I will mull this over because I see your side but also the other side. Thank you for your response Theo1689.

praise_yeshua

I was going to say what civic said. He did a better job than I would have.....

brightfame52

No I disagree the passage does not say what you have claimed.

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. 38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Her faith was demonstrated by her works( what she had done for Jesus with the perfume, tears and kissing Him). Because she demonstrated a real faith in Christ the result was her sins were forgiven.

You put the cart before the horse in the text. The text doesn't say what you have implied it says the reverse that her faith came prior to her sins being forgiven.

hope this helps !!!
It means that. Faith doesnt save, the womans faith was in Christ, not in her faith. When scripture says someone's faith saved them, it means Christ the object of their faith saved them.

civic

It means that. Faith doesnt save, the womans faith was in Christ, not in her faith. When scripture says someone's faith saved them, it means Christ the object of their faith saved them.
Her sins were forgiven after her faith not prior to her faith in the passage. And now you have changed your argument and moved the goal posts from your previous post which I quoted and responded to from the text.

brightfame52

Her sins were forgiven after her faith not prior to her faith in the passage. And now you have changed your argument and moved the goal posts from your previous post which I quoted and responded to from the text.
Her sins were always forgiven based on Christs blood and Sovereign Grace ! Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

civic

Her sins were always forgiven based on Christs blood and Sovereign Grace ! Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Sorry we are examining the text in Luke and Jesus teaching in the passage. Try sticking to the topic in the OP which is Luke 7.

civic

Are you denying her sins were forgiven based on the blood of Christ my friend ?
Evasion.

Stick with the text. The text doesn't say what you have implied. And all the questions in the world will not change those facts which are in the text in Luke 7. Nice try but your rabbit trails will not change the truth contained in Luke 7.

You like seth are demonstrating your eisegetical methods of reading your ideas into the text.

brightfame52

Evasion.

Stick with the text. The text doesn't say what you have implied. And all the questions in the world will not change those facts which are in the text in Luke 7. Nice try but your rabbit trails will not change the truth contained in Luke 7.

You like seth are demonstrating your eisegetical methods of reading your ideas into the text.
You evading. Do you deny that her sins are forgiven solely on the Blood and Redemption in Christ ?