Your Favorite Casseroles

Bonnie

On cruises with Royal Caribbean, lobster is usually served on the last day before docking back at the port. One one of our shorter cruises, it had lamb and lobster on the last day. Quite the dilemma for my husband, as he loves both! He eventually chose the lamb, though he could have had both, had he wished, but he didn't think he could eat all of that, plus the sides, and dessert.

I had no problem choosing! :)

balshan

On cruises with Royal Caribbean, lobster is usually served on the last day before docking back at the port. One one of our shorter cruises, it had lamb and lobster on the last day. Quite the dilemma for my husband, as he loves both! He eventually chose the lamb, though he could have had both, had he wished, but he didn't think he could eat all of that, plus the sides, and dessert.

I had no problem choosing! :)
I bet he enjoyed his choice.

There is no point cooking what they don't like. LOL. I have to be careful with what I eat and drink due to intolerances. We have to alter recipes for that and then I normally increase vegetables in a recipe and add more herbs and spices. I see recipes as a guide.

I also make my own sauces and spice mixes.
Sounds healthy. But it just so happened that my nephew is allergic to mangoes. The whole family eats mangoes and no problem, and my nephew has an allergy.

balshan

Sounds healthy. But it just so happened that my nephew is allergic to mangoes. The whole family eats mangoes and no problem, and my nephew has an allergy.
I am blessed because I don't like mangoes. I cannot eat stone fruits. I miss peaches, cherries.

Whateverman

I came across a bonafide casserole recipe that looked good enough to make, so I made it - and it came out great! Not too messy; it only used a single pot and a casserole dish. It's also pretty variable - in that you can use fresh or frozen veggies; you can also change the cheese (I used pepperjack instead of cheddar). It used up the ham in my fridge, but others report using rotisserie chicken or sausage.

Anyhoo, here's the original:

balshan

I came across a bonafide casserole recipe that looked good enough to make, so I made it - and it came out great! Not too messy; it only used a single pot and a casserole dish. It's also pretty variable - in that you can use fresh or frozen veggies; you can also change the cheese (I used pepperjack instead of cheddar). It used up the ham in my fridge, but others report using rotisserie chicken or sausage.

Hmm that sounds yummy.

balshan

I have decided to put this aside for when the family visit because I love the fact that it can be made ahead.

Whateverman

I have decided to put this aside for when the family visit because I love the fact that it can be made ahead.
Absolutely. It gives instructions about letting it warm at room temp before baking, if you've stored it in the fridge. I would also recommend using freshly-trimmer broccoli florets; they were great...

balshan

Absolutely. It gives instructions about letting it warm at room temp before baking, if you've stored it in the fridge. I would also recommend using freshly-trimmer broccoli florets; they were great...
I started a thread for bread, maybe you have a great recipe for that as well. I must admit I prefer fresh vegetables.

balshan

Your post was to someone asking about a salt-free dry rub for pork - but your comment made me think of few lamb recipes I have lying around. Have you tried lamb tangine? It's Moroccan, like a spiced version of a slightly drier beef stew with lamb and veggies in place of the beef and potatoes. I've only seen recipes which call for onions, but can you use leeks in their place?

ps. this is more like a stew than a casserole. Sorry for being off-topic ;)
Hmm just regoing over this thread and saw this and thought that is a must do.

No going off topic where food is concerned.

We had a leg of lamb and slow cooked it last night. Leftovers - I can see shepherd's pie in the future. Very close future.

balshan

Yes, we could have tea and crumpets with my jam--for Americans out there, crumpets are similar to English muffins. :) I would probably prefer ice tea. :)
It would be so much fun. I have found iced tea too sweet. I do not have sugar in my cuppa.:)

Bonnie

It would be so much fun. I have found iced tea too sweet. I do not have sugar in my cuppa.:)
You can drink ice tea plain--my husband and his sister do. I put Splenda in mine. But I don't like sweetened tea in restaurants. Maple syrup on ice, as Dr. Phil would say...

balshan

You can drink ice tea plain--my husband and his sister do. I put Splenda in mine. But I don't like sweetened tea in restaurants. Maple syrup on ice, as Dr. Phil would say...
I will try that when it is warmer here. At the moment hot tea or chocolate is the way to go.

balshan

You eat ROO there? Well, why not....they are herbivores and might taste good to some people...is the flesh very lean, dark--what?
Some do. Aborigines always have. Very, very lean and very healthy. I don't like the flavour and also just mentally seemed sooooo wrong.

Bonnie

Some do. Aborigines always have. Very, very lean and very healthy. I don't like the flavour and also just mentally seemed sooooo wrong.
Mentally wrong? Because they are so cute? :) I guess it is like some eating horsemeat...seems somehow "wrong" to eat an animal that arguably was man's best friend, even more than the dog. :)