Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Name Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Name Change

    There is a Baptist church nearby that has been undergoing some what I call drastic changes over the last couple of years. The church has been in existence for, probably, over 150 years, and as you can imagine has a membership with many older people. They called a new pastor who has initiated most of the change, one of the changes being all contemporary music with a praise band. As a result of the changes several of the members have moved their membership to our church, which is also Baptist. Both of the churches are in the Southern Baptist Convention.

    They have now changed the name of the church, omitting "Baptist," which sent a few more ex-members to our church.

    Changing the name of a church which has been in existence for as long as this particular church seems to me to be a little extreme. I'm afraid that our church may be headed in the same direction under the pastor that we have now. I am against any name change that seeks to downplay the denomination. I would like to hear some of the arguments, pro and con, regarding such a move.
    "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

  • #2
    I think that there is a trend in some church circles to de-emphasize denominational identify by dropping the denomination from the church name. I suppose that it is a free country and people can do what they want to do, but I don't like it because it seems in some small way to be somewhat dishonest. If the church is leaving the denomination for another denomination, or becoming non-denominational, that is one thing. But it appears to be misleading to be denominational without acknowledging that fact.
    "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers particularly have a penchant for writing about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one."
    ---Flannery O'Connor

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by awsmmix View Post
      There is a Baptist church nearby that has been undergoing some what I call drastic changes over the last couple of years. The church has been in existence for, probably, over 150 years, and as you can imagine has a membership with many older people. They called a new pastor who has initiated most of the change, one of the changes being all contemporary music with a praise band. As a result of the changes several of the members have moved their membership to our church, which is also Baptist. Both of the churches are in the Southern Baptist Convention.

      They have now changed the name of the church, omitting "Baptist," which sent a few more ex-members to our church.

      Changing the name of a church which has been in existence for as long as this particular church seems to me to be a little extreme. I'm afraid that our church may be headed in the same direction under the pastor that we have now. I am against any name change that seeks to downplay the denomination. I would like to hear some of the arguments, pro and con, regarding such a move.
      Obviously this is "no big deal," or traffic on the Baptist forum is light, to non-existent. I thought there would be more opinions than this.
      "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

      Comment


      • #4
        Unfortunately, I think that the only forums under General Church Topics that are actually fairly active are the Roman Catholic, Seventh Day Adventist, CoC and Lutheran forums.
        "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers particularly have a penchant for writing about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one."
        ---Flannery O'Connor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

          Obviously this is "no big deal," or traffic on the Baptist forum is light, to non-existent. I thought there would be more opinions than this.
          I wonder if these people who take the name Baptist off the sign also

          1. Take the manufactures emblems off their cars and just call it a horseless carriage ?

          2. Tear the labels off their clothing and call the clothes rainment ?

          3. Take the labels off their prescription bottles and just call them pills ?

          These people are apostates and taking the name Baptist off the sign is just a symptom............the cause goes much deeper.

          No conviction,No conversion
          John 16:8
          And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

          Comment


          • #6
            Bumping thread to get above the Foreigners spam attack.
            No conviction,No conversion
            John 16:8
            And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bigboy View Post
              Bumping thread to get above the Foreigners spam attack.
              I'm told by a former member of that church (there's a lot of them) that they have taken up all the pews and replaced them with folding chairs, and removed all the carpet from the sanctuary. They have also gone to all-contemporary music and no longer use hymnals. All decisions are made by what is called a "what if" committee which is composed of 12 people.

              A friend of mine from that church used to call me about all the things that were going on, and he more or less predicted all this.
              "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

                I'm told by a former member of that church (there's a lot of them) that they have taken up all the pews and replaced them with folding chairs, and removed all the carpet from the sanctuary. They have also gone to all-contemporary music and no longer use hymnals. All decisions are made by what is called a "what if" committee which is composed of 12 people.

                A friend of mine from that church used to call me about all the things that were going on, and he more or less predicted all this.
                Thats a very sad story being repeated in many churches that were once good.

                The church Where the Lord saved me 49 years ago went that same way a couple years ago.
                No conviction,No conversion
                John 16:8
                And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by awsmmix View Post
                  There is a Baptist church nearby that has been undergoing some what I call drastic changes over the last couple of years. The church has been in existence for, probably, over 150 years, and as you can imagine has a membership with many older people. They called a new pastor who has initiated most of the change, one of the changes being all contemporary music with a praise band. As a result of the changes several of the members have moved their membership to our church, which is also Baptist. Both of the churches are in the Southern Baptist Convention.

                  They have now changed the name of the church, omitting "Baptist," which sent a few more ex-members to our church.

                  Changing the name of a church which has been in existence for as long as this particular church seems to me to be a little extreme. I'm afraid that our church may be headed in the same direction under the pastor that we have now. I am against any name change that seeks to downplay the denomination. I would like to hear some of the arguments, pro and con, regarding such a move.
                  Just like changing your own name, proceed with caution.
                  - Treat others, just as you would wish to be treated yourself. This is the foundation of the Law and the Prophets. -

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bigboy View Post

                    Thats a very sad story being repeated in many churches that were once good.

                    The church Where the Lord saved me 49 years ago went that same way a couple years ago.
                    I credit a lot of this stuff to that guy out in California with the mega-church. Lots of churches trying to follow their pattern.
                    "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i certainly dont see the baptist or any other denom turning the world upside down. David Jeremiah pastor a church in calif shadow mountain community church he is southern baptist.. to mnay worship the name over the door instead of who is in the heart

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ezra932 View Post
                        i certainly dont see the baptist or any other denom turning the world upside down. David Jeremiah pastor a church in calif shadow mountain community church he is southern baptist.. to mnay worship the name over the door instead of who is in the heart
                        Some are ashamed of the name over the door (or on the sign) so they change it to conceal who they are and what they believe.
                        "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

                          Some are ashamed of the name over the door (or on the sign) so they change it to conceal who they are and what they believe.
                          i have dealt with southern baptist in a small rural country church as a pastor .needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth .the Church is not what it us to be far to much division

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ezra932 View Post

                            i have dealt with southern baptist in a small rural country church as a pastor .needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth .the Church is not what it us to be far to much division
                            Care to share your experiences? Taking into consideration there are usually two sides to every story.
                            "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

                              Care to share your experiences? Taking into consideration there are usually two sides to every story.
                              not that it really makes any difference i took on the job as a the pastor .i come from a general baptist background but i do not attend general baptist . we had folks willing to work church excited growth was trying to take place . i had one man who thought he ruled the roost who thought he was in control .i had the former pastor daughter who was not happy i mentioned foot-washing along with communion. she threw a Jezebel fit. called me into a meeting which was to be private .between me and her at the church.. i had a crowd she called in some guy from the southern bapt branch in our area . she wanted to know and so do the older man want to know where i got foot washing ..so i opened the Bible up and read the words of JESUS not paul not peter or any other Apostle. i shut them down took their candy away . she created a big stink got several members to say they would leave if i stayed . they called me to a meeting saying it was the will of the church i resign ..really most of the church had no idea about this . see i dont preach church doctrine i go by the Bible i preach in a know so salvation that we can know we are saved,, know you flip the coin my crime was i was ordained years ago in a general baptist Church the church i was saved in.. e took 4 young kids with us the older man did not like kids and he sure didnt like CHANGE .. YOU FLIP THE COIN it really does not matter to me... had the church left me alone i would have transferred to southern baptist .. BUT i would not have been baptized again .carnal minds controlled by the devil . run the church .............. i really dont care how much you believe my story .as i know the truth please understand i was voted in by a %99 voter approval .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X