Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why are baptists so immoral?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are baptists so immoral?

You people are as bad as or worse than atheists. Is it your belief in faith alone and OSAS that leads you baptists to be so puffed up with pride, arrogant, and judgmental?
    "He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:4, NKJV)"

Originally posted by logix View Post
    You people are as bad as or worse than atheists. Is it your belief in faith alone and OSAS that leads you baptists to be so puffed up with pride, arrogant, and judgmental?
    Is this post an example of the moral high ground?
    Let not conscience make you linger
    Nor of fitness fondly dream
    All the fitness He requires
    Is to feel your need of Him

Comment

Why don’t you tell us what Is needed for salvation.............Let me guess water and works..... I just don’t know WHICH works.........come on enlighten us.
      No conviction,No conversion
      John 16:8
      And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

Two things:
        1. A theological liberalization of preaching. In some circles, sin is allowed to flourish because the pastors are simply not doing their job. We are to walk in good works in light of the gospel, but when pastors teach sermons on how to have a better marriage or how to create a budget sin flourishes. Not that Baptists are unique on this account. As a whole, Baptists work harder than most other Christians in fighting against such forces.
        2. Sheer numbers. The number of Baptists in the US is enormous. 1/10 people in the US are Baptists. With that many people, bad apples are sure to exist and in number.

In reality, we only believe in faith alone or OSAS because such is taught in Scripture, and even if believing such leads to pride, arrogance, and being judgmental, such says nothing about whether or not these doctrines are true.

God Bless

Comment

There is much of Baptist doctrine with which I do not agree as a Catholic, but I have not seen that Baptists are any more immoral, prideful, arrogant or judgmental than any other people. Many are very good Christian folks.
          "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

Originally posted by Rudder View Post

There is much of Baptist doctrine with which I do not agree as a Catholic, but I have not seen that Baptists are any more immoral, prideful, arrogant or judgmental than any other people. Many are very good Christian folks.
            You haven't met the ones where I live. Always boasting about how great they are (merely because they believed something about Jesus and avoid the outward sins) and how they are one of God's chosen elect while thumbing their noses down at the "unbelievers" who don't agree with them and disobeying what Jesus called the more important part of the law. Whenever I read about the Pharisees in scripture, it always reminds me of baptists and "born again" "evangelicals" especially these verses:

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. [in other words, the obey the outward parts of the law to be seen by men] But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. (Matt 23:23, NIV)"

"You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. (Matt 23:25, NIV)"

"You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness. (Matt 23:27-28, NIV)"

"You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:“‘These people honor me with their lips,but their hearts are far from me." (Matt 15:7, NIV)"

These people drone on and on about Jesus, every fifth word is Jesus, they complain when Catholics/Christians don't mention Jesus enough, talk about how Jesus saved them, how they're passionate about Jesus, etc. They appear righteous to unbelievers because they avoid outward sins like drunkenness, idolatry, stealing, and do good works like reading the bible, praying, going to church, donating to charity, mission trips, etc.

However, like the Pharisees, their behavior is reflective of hearts full of sin and wickedness (like dung they believed God threw snow on top of to make them appear righteous). They lie constantly, are puffed up with pride, make unrighteous judgments about their neighbors, look down upon those who don't accept their religious traditions, show no mercy toward men of God who have sinned, no justice toward those accused of sin (assuming everyone accused is guilty), and have no real love for their neighbors (helping them only when it makes them look good) or God (refusing to worship God as He desires, obeying His commandments, and turning from sin).
            "He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:4, NKJV)"

Comment

Oh. I thought you said immortal.

If you don't judge, then your problem is solved.

Happy to help!

What Does the Bible Say About Judging Others? - OpenBible.info

- Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

Does your own unproven allegation display pride, arrogance, and an unrighteous judgmental attitude on your part?

Perhaps you try to conclude too much based on your own imperfect observations of a few professed Baptists/

Comment

You haven't met the ones where I live. Always boasting about how great they are (merely because they believed something about Jesus and avoid the outward sins) and how they are one of God's chosen elect while thumbing their noses down at the "unbelievers" who don't agree with them and disobeying what Jesus called the more important part of the law. Whenever I read about the Pharisees in scripture, it always reminds me of baptists and "born again" "evangelicals" especially these verses:

These people drone on and on about Jesus, every fifth word is Jesus, they complain when Catholics/Christians don't mention Jesus enough, talk about how Jesus saved them, how they're passionate about Jesus, etc. They appear righteous to unbelievers because they avoid outward sins like drunkenness, idolatry, stealing, and do good works like reading the bible, praying, going to church, donating to charity, mission trips, etc.
                  Are these bad things? Would you prefer that they get drunk, practice idolatry, steal, don't do good works like reading the bible, going to church, donating to charity, going on mission trips?

However, like the Pharisees, their behavior is reflective of hearts full of sin and wickedness (like dung they believed God threw snow on top of to make them appear righteous). They lie constantly, are puffed up with pride, make unrighteous judgments about their neighbors, look down upon those who don't accept their religious traditions, show no mercy toward men of God who have sinned, no justice toward those accused of sin (assuming everyone accused is guilty), and have no real love for their neighbors (helping them only when it makes them look good) or God (refusing to worship God as He desires, obeying His commandments, and turning from sin).
                  It's hard to read tone sometimes in writing, but are your words here reflective of that which you yourself seem to despise? How do you come to these conclusions without judging an entire group in the same way you accuse them of judging others? Do you judge righteously?

How many of them lie? How many do you personally know that you can personally attest to have lied to you?

Do you know any baptists that have real love for neighbors? Even one?

You have said a lot here, but none of it seems to be very helpful other then to condemn others of what you seem to despise.

Comment

Sounds like you are about as bad as you make them out to be. At least on the judgmental side of things.
                    It all seems so arbritary. I applied at this company because they were hiring, I took a desk at the back because it was empty. But no matter how you get there or where you end up, humans have a miraculous gift to make that place home. -creed bratton

Comment

People often judge the Master by His servants. Stop doing this! If, while building a house, I hit a nail with my hammer and the nail bends, I don't stop building the house. I just get another nail! If you have observed a local Church fill with pride, find another Church. What you are describing is not common, and certainly not a fair evaluation of Baptists.
                      Salvation: You don't get it by anything you do. And, you can't lose it by anything you fail to do.

Comment

Even worse than your judgment of them? They must be bad!
                        - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

Really would not be saying we are immoral. But we are humans. And that we need Jesus for our salvation and sin is into this world which we fall short of. And pride and arrogance is our downfall of sins. As that is why we need Jesus Christ!
                          Blessed Is He Who Comes In the Name of the Lord!

Comment

I'm thinking that it has to do more with another part of their belief system, than OSAS. From what I have seen, and Baptists, correct me if I'm wrong, Baptist churches focus on the fact that people are sinners, more than they do on specific sins. They don't get in people's faces over sins like lust, greed, anger, resentment, and pride. At altar calls, they don't do like John the Baptist did but calling out specific sins. At altar calls they don't say things like "You cheating your employees is what put Jesus on the cross", "You holding a grudge against your cousin for stealing from you is what put Jesus on the cross", "You lusting after your coworker is what put Jesus on the cross", "You stealing cable and cheating on your taxes is what put Jesus on the cross", "Your laziness, your fits of rage, your overeating, and lack of concern for the needy is what put Jesus on the cross!". They say things like, "You must realize that you are a sinner and that Jesus died for you to be saved." I don't think most people have trouble recognizing that they are sinners, that they would have to be convinced of that Romans 3:23. It's a lot harder for people to be confronted with their specific sins. And after a person is allegedly saved, there's little to no accountability. It's all done at a community level. Baptists don't follow scriptures like
                            Hebrews 3:12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.

They typically don't go beyond "the sinner" and deal with "the sin". And since the Baptist leadership doesn't make this an expectation, this leaves room for a lot of sin to go unaddressed and struggles to go unsupported. Granted, everyone has individual responsibility before God, but the Bible does have a lot of one another scriptures (e.g. - Hebrews 10:24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,)

This is from my experience and from others I've spoken to. I do not say this applies to every single Baptist congregation, but it is my guess that what I described is the norm.
                            Last edited by Rejoran; 01-01-19, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejoran View Post
                              I'm thinking that it has to do more with another part of their belief system, than OSAS. From what I have seen, and Baptists, correct me if I'm wrong, Baptist churches focus on the fact that people are sinners, more than they do on specific sins. They don't get in people's faces over sins like lust, greed, anger, resentment, and pride. At altar calls, they don't do like John the Baptist did but calling out specific sins. At altar calls they don't say things like "You cheating your employees is what put Jesus on the cross", "You holding a grudge against your cousin for stealing from you is what put Jesus on the cross", "You lusting after your coworker is what put Jesus on the cross", "You stealing cable and cheating on your taxes is what put Jesus on the cross", "Your laziness, your fits of rage, your overeating, and lack of concern for the needy is what put Jesus on the cross!". They say things like, "You must realize that you are a sinner and that Jesus died for you to be saved." I don't think most people have trouble recognizing that they are sinners, that they would have to be convinced of that Romans 3:23. It's a lot harder for people to be confronted with their specific sins. And after a person is allegedly saved, there's little to no accountability. It's all done at a community level. Baptists don't follow scriptures like
                              Hebrews 3:12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.

They typically don't go beyond "the sinner" and deal with "the sin". And since the Baptist leadership doesn't make this an expectation, this leaves room for a lot of sin to go unaddressed and struggles to go unsupported. Granted, everyone has individual responsibility before God, but the Bible does have a lot of one another scriptures (e.g. - Hebrews 10:24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,)

This is from my experience and from others I've spoken to. I do not say this applies to every single Baptist congregation, but it is my guess that what I described is the norm.
                              Tell us how you Campbellites do it .
                              No conviction,No conversion
                              John 16:8
                              And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

Working...
                              X