Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Did The Corinthians Become Drunk By Abusing The Lordís Supper ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did The Corinthians Become Drunk By Abusing The Lordís Supper ?

1Cor.11

There seems to be some mis-understanding concerning the Lord's supper in in this chapter..

I have noticed people believe the drunkenness occurred Because of the Lord's table and it's abuse.

This is not the case.

They were becoming drunk before the observance of the supper.

Notice:

1 Corinthians 11:19-21

For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

In addressing the heresies he says they were coming together and eating this was NOT the Lord's supper.

He goes on to say they were eating their OWN supper they had brought to church.

They were feasting and being drunk , NOT because of the Lord's supper

rather by eating their OWN supper.

He then tells them :

1 Corinthians 11:22

What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

Eat at home before you come to church.

They were not becoming drunk because of the Lords supper, they were becoming drunk because of their feasting and drinking and reviling in what They Themselves had brought and ate BEFORE, the Lord's supper.

What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

Eat at home, this was the apostles instruction .

This could not have been the Lord's supper he was referring to, seeing the Lord's supper is a church ordinance, he therefore was not telling them to eat the Lord's supper at home.

He was telling them instead of bringing their OWN supper, and consuming it at the assembly, and consuming alcohol and becoming drunk feasting on their OWN supper then approaching the Lord's supper, in the assembly. eat at Home.

The apostle continues and says :

1 Corinthians 11:33-34

Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Wait for one another when "you come together to eat" this is speaking of eating the Lord's supper as they assembled.
    No conviction,No conversion
    John 16:8
    And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Originally posted by Bigboy View Post
    1Cor.11

There seems to be some mis-understanding concerning the Lord's supper in in this chapter..

I have noticed people believe the drunkenness occurred Because of the Lord's table and it's abuse.

This is not the case.

They were becoming drunk before the observance of the supper.

Notice:

1 Corinthians 11:19-21

For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

In addressing the heresies he says they were coming together and eating this was NOT the Lord's supper.

He goes on to say they were eating their OWN supper they had brought to church.

They were feasting and being drunk , NOT because of the Lord's supper

rather by eating their OWN supper.

He then tells them :

Eat at home before you come to church.

They were not becoming drunk because of the Lords supper, they were becoming drunk because of their feasting and drinking and reviling in what They Themselves had brought and ate BEFORE, the Lord's supper.

Eat at home, this was the apostles instruction .

This could not have been the Lord's supper he was referring to, seeing the Lord's supper is a church ordinance, he therefore was not telling them to eat the Lord's supper at home.

He was telling them instead of bringing their OWN supper, and consuming it at the assembly, and consuming alcohol and becoming drunk feasting on their OWN supper then approaching the Lord's supper, in the assembly. eat at Home.

The apostle continues and says :

1 Corinthians 11:33-34

Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Wait for one another when "you come together to eat" this is speaking of eating the Lord's supper as they assembled.
    The custom of the early Church was that they would bring their own bread and wine from home and have it blessed by the priest.

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post

The custom of the early Church was that they would bring their own bread and wine from home and have it blessed by the priest.
      Really..... could you point me to the Book .....Chapter .....Verse that teaches that ?
      And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

"When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in?" - Paul to the Corinthians. The Bible says the Corinthians were abusing the Communion wine by using it to get drunk. Their debauchery caused Paul to say their practice of the Lords Supper was invalid.

The Baptist spin is that they brought their own wine and drank it at church, and that the actual Communion wine is just grape juice. Baptist devotion to unbiblical nonsense is truly astonishing (but Pentecostals are even worse).

If they brought their own, then why does Paul complain about some going hungry, apparently because of the gluttony of others? Isn't it then their fault for not bringing anything, and not the fault of anyone else? Also, how many times have you gathered with other people and everyone brought their own food? I've never seen it. By their "own" it just means what they took from the potluck or host for themselves.

It doesn't make a difference if they brought their own. They were still bringing alcohol to church - and Paul didn't tell them bring grape juice instead of wine. Paul didn't even tell them not to drink, in the first place. Paul didn't even tell them not to get drunk. He just told them to keep their [recreational] drinking at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruk View Post
          "When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in?" - Paul to the Corinthians. The Bible says the Corinthians were abusing the Communion wine by using it to get drunk. Their debauchery caused Paul to say their practice of the Lords Supper was invalid.

The Baptist spin is that they brought their own wine and drank it at church, and that the actual Communion wine is just grape juice. Baptist devotion to unbiblical nonsense is truly astonishing (but Pentecostals are even worse).

If they brought their own, then why does Paul complain about some going hungry, apparently because of the gluttony of others? Isn't it then their fault for not bringing anything, and not the fault of anyone else? Also, how many times have you gathered with other people and everyone brought their own food? I've never seen it. By their "own" it just means what they took from the potluck or host for themselves.

It doesn't make a difference if they brought their own. They were still bringing alcohol to church - and Paul didn't tell them bring grape juice instead of wine. Paul didn't even tell them not to drink, in the first place. Paul didn't even tell them not to get drunk. He just told them to keep their [recreational] drinking at home.

Paul is the one who said this :

1 Corinthians 11:20-21
          20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. 21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

The words NOT & OWN. Disagree with your opinions.

Comment

Paul is the one who said this :

1 Corinthians 11:20-21
            20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. 21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

The words NOT & OWN. Disagree with your opinions.
            I'm sorry, you understand neither the Bible nor what I've said. If you had any understanding of what I've said, you would know I already addressed both NOT and OWN, but you point them out as if you think I hadn't seen them. If you had any understanding of the Bible, you would know that Paul isn't telling that is NOT the Lord's Supper, unless they considered that it was Lord's Supper.

Comment

I'm sorry, you understand neither the Bible nor what I've said. If you had any understanding of what I've said, you would know I already addressed both NOT and OWN, but you point them out as if you think I hadn't seen them. If you had any understanding of the Bible, you would know that Paul isn't telling that is NOT the Lord's Supper, unless they considered that it was Lord's Supper.

Your yeah butís donít donít override scripture . Lol

Comment

They were still bringing alcohol to church - and Paul didn't tell them bring grape juice instead of wine. Paul didn't even tell them not to drink, in the first place. Paul didn't even tell them not to get drunk. He just told them to keep their [recreational] drinking at home.

Really so he just allowed everyone to get drunk .....except the preacher......lol

1 Timothy 3:3
                3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Comment

Really so he just allowed everyone to get drunk .....except the preacher......lol

1 Timothy 3:3
                  3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
                  Yes, Paul did not criticize them for getting drunk, just for getting drunk at church [instead of at home] with Communion wine.

The phrase "not given to wine" doesn't mean doesn't drink, but means not a drunkard or abuser. Why don't you think 1 Tim 3:3 prohibits preachers from drinking grape juice?

Comment

The phrase "not given to wine" doesn't mean doesn't drink, but means not a drunkard or abuser. Why don't you think 1 Tim 3:3 prohibits preachers from drinking grape juice?
                    1 Timothy 3:2-3
                    2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

The qualifications for a Pastor are listed in 1Tim 3 : 1-7.......Lets focus on our subject of wine for the Pastor in the qualifications.

First word Vs 2 is the word Sober.....That word can mean serious or calm ........It is widely recognized as meaning free from the effects of Alcoholic drink.

Second word or phrase in Vs 3 is “ Not Given to Wine “ . The pastor is Not to give himself to Wine.

The pastor is to be sober....free from the effects of alcohol.

Comment

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

The qualifications for a Pastor are listed in 1Tim 3 : 1-7.......Lets focus on our subject of wine for the Pastor in the qualifications.

First word Vs 2 is the word Sober.....That word can mean serious or calm ........It is widely recognized as meaning free from the effects of Alcoholic drink.

Second word or phrase in Vs 3 is “ Not Given to Wine “ . The pastor is Not to give himself to Wine.

The pastor is to be sober....free from the effects of alcohol.
                      You engage in Bull, muddy thinking, to distort the Bible. 1 Timothy 3:2 means sober, as in a clear thinker, which excludes anyone who thinks the Bible condemns drinking.

Comment

The Pastor would not be blameless ......in a NON-Sober condition.

The Pastor will very likely be the husband of MORE than one wife .........if he has been living a drunken life style .

The Pastor cant be Vigilent while intoxicated .

The Pastor will be unable to teach while intoxicated .

The pastor is to be SOBER....free from the effects of alcohol.
                        Could he give himself to wine.....yes....but he would be BREAKING a qualification that he Must meet in order to be a Pastor.

Comment

Really..... could you point me to the Book .....Chapter .....Verse that teaches that ?
                          The same book, chapter, and verse you got this from:

"He goes on to say they were eating their OWN supper they had brought to church."

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post

The same book, chapter, and verse you got this from:

"He goes on to say they were eating their OWN supper they had brought to church."
                            1 Corinthians 11:21
                            21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

Every one eateth his OWN supper..............seems like the word OWN is causing you to be confused here is the definition :

g2398. ἴδιος idios; of uncertain affinity; pertaining to self, i.e. one's own; by implication

Each had their OWN ............very simple.

Comment

1 Corinthians 11:21
                              21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

Every one eateth his OWN supper..............seems like the word OWN is causing you to be confused here is the definition :

g2398. ἴδιος idios; of uncertain affinity; pertaining to self, i.e. one's own; by implication

Each had their OWN ............very simple.
                              So what seems to be the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X