Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Were any of you there on New Years eve, in 1981 with Chuck Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Were any of you there on New Years eve, in 1981 with Chuck Smith

    I usually post in the Mormonism Forum, one poster there who attends Calvary Chapel was surprised that I brought up 1981 new years eve. I described it as a party that the guest of honor did not come too.

    Were any of you Calvary Chapel members at that historic meeting, and what were your feelings like towards the church when Christ did not appear, and the world was not destroyed.?

  • #2
    Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
    I usually post in the Mormonism Forum, one poster there who attends Calvary Chapel was surprised that I brought up 1981 new years eve. I described it as a party that the guest of honor did not come too.

    Were any of you Calvary Chapel members at that historic meeting, and what were your feelings like towards the church when Christ did not appear, and the world was not destroyed.?
    I was in a Mormon church...believing I could become a God...and have all the same Power and Knowledge that he did.

    Chuck screwed up, and as far as I now repented and learned a huge lesson. Something the LDS church should consider. Maybe they can start with an apology to African Americans.



    But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Markk View Post

      I was in a Mormon church...believing I could become a God...and have all the same Power and Knowledge that he did.

      Chuck screwed up, and as far as I now repented and learned a huge lesson. Something the LDS church should consider. Maybe they can start with an apology to African Americans.
      There are 40 year anniversary celebrations marking the date. To my knowledge there has not been an apology requested from Black members or the Black community regarding 1978.

      Chuck may have screwed up, and, or he may have helped a lot of people come to Christ.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post

        There are 40 year anniversary celebrations marking the date. To my knowledge there has not been an apology requested from Black members or the Black community regarding 1978.

        Chuck may have screwed up, and, or he may have helped a lot of people come to Christ.
        Are you saying that if someone wrongs someone they should not apologize unless the person they wronged ask? That is nt I was taught nor LDS or Christian woould I teach my children that.




        But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Markk View Post

          Are you saying that if someone wrongs someone they should not apologize unless the person they wronged ask? That is nt I was taught nor LDS or Christian woould I teach my children that.
          Has Calvary Chapel apologized for the abusive pastors that they shuffled to other congregations, or hired knowing about their past? Has it apologized for the 1000’s of people who left after Christ did not return in 1981?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
            Has Calvary Chapel apologized for the abusive pastors that they shuffled to other congregations, or hired knowing about their past? Has it apologized for the 1000’s of people who left after Christ did not return in 1981?
            I don't know but if they haven't that is a sin and wrong. I know Bob Coy apologized for his sexual sins. I don't like that they hide the history of Lonnie Frisbee, that is wrong.

            Two wrongs don't make a right Lloyd.
            But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Markk View Post

              I don't know but if they haven't that is a sin and wrong. I know Bob Coy apologized for his sexual sins. I don't like that they hide the history of Lonnie Frisbee, that is wrong.

              Two wrongs don't make a right Lloyd.
              There is a 40 yr celebration broadcast in June, as this is a subject of interest for you I invite you to watch it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                There is a 40 yr celebration broadcast in June, as this is a subject of interest for you I invite you to watch it.
                Okay...although I read about a few weeks ago and the people like Gladys Knight will be their.

                Do you believe they should apologize, and if they do what is the premise of the apology. How would your apology be phrased?
                But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Markk View Post

                  Okay...although I read about a few weeks ago and the people like Gladys Knight will be their.

                  Do you believe they should apologize, and if they do what is the premise of the apology. How would your apology be phrased?
                  I trust that the revelation and the spirit that attended those faithful who received it did more than what an apology would do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                    I trust that the revelation and the spirit that attended those faithful who received it did more than what an apology would do.
                    So no apology to those that were discriminated against...that is why African American membership is so low. That is such a shallow ******* statement.

                    We both know why there will not be a real apology...in that to do so would say that prophets got it wrong in the beginning and that they equally got it wrong when they rescinded the so called revelation. In other words if it was wrong, then every prophet and apostle up until SWK were clueless that it was wrong.

                    Could you imagine if the German people after ww2 did the same as your post above, and state the Jews and others that were persecuted and murdered would understand and not need the German people to be publicly sorry.

                    To say that only the blacks that received the ban were blessed is quite a statement Lloyd...it implies those that rejected it were less than faithful for not willingly submitting to discrimination based on their skin color. I would be ashamed if I were you Lloyd, I really would.

                    True repentance means a change of heart, and change of heart would allow a true apology...it appears that the church has not repented for their discrimination and to tell you the truth the celebration is nothing more than a further slap in the face to the Black race.

                    And you wonder why people believe Mormonism is a cult.
                    But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Markk View Post

                      So no apology to those that were discriminated against...that is why African American membership is so low. That is such a shallow ******* statement.

                      We both know why there will not be a real apology...in that to do so would say that prophets got it wrong in the beginning and that they equally got it wrong when they rescinded the so called revelation. In other words if it was wrong, then every prophet and apostle up until SWK were clueless that it was wrong.

                      Could you imagine if the German people after ww2 did the same as your post above, and state the Jews and others that were persecuted and murdered would understand and not need the German people to be publicly sorry.

                      To say that only the blacks that received the ban were blessed is quite a statement Lloyd...it implies those that rejected it were less than faithful for not willingly submitting to discrimination based on their skin color. I would be ashamed if I were you Lloyd, I really would.

                      True repentance means a change of heart, and change of heart would allow a true apology...it appears that the church has not repented for their discrimination and to tell you the truth the celebration is nothing more than a further slap in the face to the Black race.

                      And you wonder why people believe Mormonism is a cult.
                      Comparing Nazi Germany’s atrocities towards Jews, with how Blacks were treated by the Mormon Church is irresponsible, misguided and abhorrent.

                      If anyone should be apologizing...my goodness.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                        Comparing Nazi Germany’s atrocities towards Jews, with how Blacks were treated by the Mormon Church is irresponsible, misguided and abhorrent.

                        If anyone should be apologizing...my goodness.

                        I never compared the atrocities, I compared the need for apologies by someone, a group, that did a wrong to a group of people based on there ethnicity.

                        If you think stating that all black people are black becasue it was a sign of a curse by God...and their leaders saying things like ..."You must not think, from what I say, that I am opposed to slavery. No! The negro is damned, and is to serve his master till God chooses to remove the curse of Ham." Or " For instance, the descendants of Cain cannot cast off their skin of blackness, at once, and immediately, although every should of them should repent.... Cain and his posterity must wear the mark which God put upon them; and his white friends may wash the race of Cain with fuller's soap every day, they cannot wash away God's mark." OR " Now we are generous with the Negro. We are willing that the Negro have the highest education. I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it. I would be willing that they have all the advantages they can get out of life in the world. But let them enjoy these things among themselves. I think the Lord segregated the Negro and who is man to change that segregation? It reminds me of the scripture on marriage, "what God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Only here we have the reverse of the thing -- what God hath separated, let not man bring together again." is okay... then I really can't say too much more.
                        But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Double post
                          Last edited by CTR-Lloyd; 05-28-18, 11:14 PM. Reason: double pist

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Markk View Post
                            I never compared the atrocities, I compared the need for apologies by someone, a group, that did a wrong to a group of people based on there ethnicity.

                            If you think stating that all black people are black becasue it was a sign of a curse by God...and their leaders saying things like ..."You must not think, from what I say, that I am opposed to slavery. No! The negro is damned, and is to serve his master till God chooses to remove the curse of Ham." Or " For instance, the descendants of Cain cannot cast off their skin of blackness, at once, and immediately, although every should of them should repent.... Cain and his posterity must wear the mark which God put upon them; and his white friends may wash the race of Cain with fuller's soap every day, they cannot wash away God's mark." OR " Now we are generous with the Negro. We are willing that the Negro have the highest education. I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it. I would be willing that they have all the advantages they can get out of life in the world. But let them enjoy these things among themselves. I think the Lord segregated the Negro and who is man to change that segregation? It reminds me of the scripture on marriage, "what God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Only here we have the reverse of the thing -- what God hath separated, let not man bring together again." is okay... then I really can't say too much more.

                            no one is thrilled with what leaders said before 1978. Everything uttered in defense of the Ban was incorrect.

                            it was racist policy, should never have existed.

                            rather than rehash the past, the church is focused on the present and future.

                            The church repented, changed and turned 180° the other way on the ban.

                            Just like people repent and move forward the church did the same

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post


                              no one is thrilled with what leaders said before 1978. Everything uttered in defense of the Ban was incorrect.

                              it was racist policy, should never have existed.

                              rather than rehash the past, the church is focused on the present and future.

                              The church repented, changed and turned 180° the other way on the ban.

                              Just like people repent and move forward the church did the same
                              Can you show me any acknowledgement of this repentance?

                              I appreciate your honesty though, but until the church cops to making the mistake...many Mormons will still believe "it was not revealed why we did it" as some of my family members and friends explain the ban today. And celebrating it as a church is kinda sick without full acknowledgement.

                              If I started a thread on this at the Mormon board, and you did not let them know about our conversation here...how many members would have the strength that you just showed to admit it was wrong?

                              I am proud of you Lloyd.

                              But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. Joseph Smith...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X