Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Samples of Calvary Chapel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samples of Calvary Chapel

Struggling with Hatred?

Skip Heitzig

There are a few things I'm just not a fan of: traffic jams, when somebody is going slow in the passing lane, bad coffee, and pigeons. Those are all things I really hate.

But when it comes to hating other people, the Bible takes hatred very seriously (see Leviticus 19:17; Galatians 5:19-20). There are two kinds of hatred: one that is directed toward you and one that comes from within you. Today I want to look at the second kind.

In Luke 9, we read that Jesus and His disciples entered a Samaritan village, where the people rejected Jesus. So James and John said, "'Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?' But [Jesus] turned and rebuked them, and said, 'You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them'" (vv. 54-56).

Now, there had been a centuries-long rivalry and prejudice between the Samaritans and the Jews. But talk about the Galilean Mafia. How did Jesus handle James and John's hatred? And how can you deal with hatred in your own heart?

1. Your words must be rebuked (see Revelation 3:19). Yes, rejecting Christ is sinful and shameful, but hating people for it is reprehensible. The disciples' words were destructive to the people God loves. So Jesus rebuked them—and your words must be as well if this type of hateful speech comes from you.

2. Your attitude must be checked. James and John had Scripture in their heads—they knew that Elijah called down fire from heaven—but they had no love in their hearts. So even if they had the ability to call down fire from heaven, their attitude was wrong. To Jesus, attitude is more important than aptitude. Your attitude is the rudder that controls everything in your life—what you say and do. So check your attitude when you're dealing with someone. Instead of viewing them as an inconvenience or a bad person, how about seeing them as an opportunity for you to grow?

3. Your prejudice must be surrendered to God. James and John were blinded by their prejudice from seeing what God's purpose was for the Samaritans: to save them (see 2 Peter 3:9). God's purpose for people always trumps our prejudice toward people.

In Acts 8, we find that a revival broke out in Samaria after John and Peter preached the gospel there. What would have happened if they had nuked that village? There'd be no Samaritans to hear the gospel and be saved.

So start asking yourself, "Are my words, my attitude, or my prejudice standing in the way of God's purpose for someone else?" Whenever we meet someone, we tend to look at how they present themselves, and we make certain assessments and size them up in our heads. How about we start stripping all that away and instead see them as a person for whom God has a purpose—to be saved?
    "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Do You Know the Promise of Heaven?
    by Skip Heitzig

In Luke 23, we discover a deathbed conversation. While describing Jesus' crucifixion, Luke said two criminals were crucified on either side of Him. Both men started out mocking Jesus (see Matthew 27:44). But suddenly there was a change of heart in one of them.

"The other [criminal], answering, rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said to Jesus, 'Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom'" (vv. 40-42).

And Jesus made him a promise: "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise" (v. 43). No one in Scripture is given more explicit assurance of forgiveness and heaven than this man. But how could Jesus promise instant heaven to this guy? He hadn't been baptized. He hadn't gone to church. He didn't have time to do good works. Even his prayer was pretty self-centered.

This is one of the greatest demonstrations of salvation by grace through faith, not works (see Titus 3:4-5). Here was a criminal on his deathbed who had rebelled against authority, stolen, and pillaged, and he was promised heaven that day.

Let's unpack the path this criminal took. First of all, he confessed his guilt (see v. 40). He feared God and was concerned about what would happen when he died and stood before an almighty, righteous judge.

Second, he trusted Christ: "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom" (v. 42). He recognized Jesus not just as Lord but also as King, because only kings have kingdoms. He also must have believed in a resurrection, because he recognized that though Jesus was going to die, He would live again. And he recognized that Jesus was sinless and he himself was not.

Third, he made it personal: "Remember me" (v. 42, emphasis added). There are no two-for-one specials with salvation. You personally must turn to Christ.

Fourth, he did it publicly. If Jesus could hear him speak, presumably others at the cross could also hear him, because what he said is recorded. That's significant, because everyone else was mocking, and he had enough courage to make it public that he was going to trust Christ.

Now, the fact that Jesus died among criminals was not accidental; it was intentional. Isaiah predicted that He would be "numbered with the transgressors" (Isaiah 53:12). It was always God's plan that Jesus would die among sinners. Why? Because Jesus was the friend of sinners.

And Jesus is the ultimate answer for sinners—including criminals. Only He offers real transformation: a change of heart and a change of life. And that's an offer He continues to make to any one of us, if we turn to Him, acknowledge our guilt, and personally trust in Him.

"The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Jesus' Plan for the Addict

by Skip Heitzig

Addiction isn't usually talked about in church. But the idea of addiction shows up all over the Bible. It's the idea of being captive to or mastered by a repetitive, ongoing behavior, whether that manifests in one more drink or one more click of the mouse or one more shopping trip.

Addiction comes in many different forms, and it's always a present danger posed by our sinful nature. So what special words of hope does Jesus have for those who find themselves in addictive behavior? And how would He have us, His followers, treat addicts?

First of all, Jesus has good news for addicts. In Luke 4, Jesus began His public ministry by reading from Isaiah: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord" (vv. 18-19).

That's a messy bunch of folks: poor, brokenhearted, captive, blind, oppressed. But this describes all of us, including those who struggle with addiction. And Jesus has a special message for us: He came to preach the gospel—the good news—and to proclaim liberty to the captives, including those who are in the bondage of addiction. More than that, He came "to set at liberty those who are oppressed" (v. 18). In other words, Jesus was saying, "I don't just have a nice sermon for addicts—I have a plan to break the cycle they're caught in."

Sometimes God takes away an addiction instantly, but that's not the norm. Usually He does it supernaturally naturally: as you cooperate with Him, He gives you the supernatural power to beat an addiction through a natural process. But above all, it takes relying on the Lord. Effectiveness in recovery is more than saying no to the menace—it's saying yes to the Maker.

And that Maker has a good reputation among addicts. Jesus socialized with alcoholics, prostitutes, and probably men who were addicted to sex with the prostitutes (see Matthew 9:10-11; 11:19; Luke 15:1-2; 19:7). He was known as the friend of sinners, and He accepted that title as a badge of honor.​​​​​​​

So here's my challenge to the church: As the body of Christ, we are the representatives of Jesus in this world. Let's represent Him well. Our hands ought to reach out to people in His name. Our feet ought to walk toward people in His name. Our mouths ought to bring the good news of the gospel to people in His name.​​​​​​​

If Jesus saved you, don't you think He can save others through you, including those who struggle with addiction? He loves to do that. And His blood can make even the foulest clean. My prayer is that more of us would become addicted to Christ, addicted to serving our Lord, and addicted to loving people in a transforming way in His name.​​​​​​​
      Last edited by inertia; 12-11-18, 11:19 PM.

Heisenberg

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post
        Do You Know the Promise of Heaven?
        by Skip Heitzig

In Luke 23, we discover a deathbed conversation. While describing Jesus' crucifixion, Luke said two criminals were crucified on either side of Him. Both men started out mocking Jesus (see Matthew 27:44). But suddenly there was a change of heart in one of them.

"The other [criminal], answering, rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said to Jesus, 'Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom'" (vv. 40-42).

And Jesus made him a promise: "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise" (v. 43). No one in Scripture is given more explicit assurance of forgiveness and heaven than this man. But how could Jesus promise instant heaven to this guy? He hadn't been baptized. He hadn't gone to church. He didn't have time to do good works. Even his prayer was pretty self-centered.

This is one of the greatest demonstrations of salvation by grace through faith, not works (see Titus 3:4-5). Here was a criminal on his deathbed who had rebelled against authority, stolen, and pillaged, and he was promised heaven that day.

Let's unpack the path this criminal took. First of all, he confessed his guilt (see v. 40). He feared God and was concerned about what would happen when he died and stood before an almighty, righteous judge.

Second, he trusted Christ: "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom" (v. 42). He recognized Jesus not just as Lord but also as King, because only kings have kingdoms. He also must have believed in a resurrection, because he recognized that though Jesus was going to die, He would live again. And he recognized that Jesus was sinless and he himself was not.

Third, he made it personal: "Remember me" (v. 42, emphasis added). There are no two-for-one specials with salvation. You personally must turn to Christ.

Fourth, he did it publicly. If Jesus could hear him speak, presumably others at the cross could also hear him, because what he said is recorded. That's significant, because everyone else was mocking, and he had enough courage to make it public that he was going to trust Christ.

Now, the fact that Jesus died among criminals was not accidental; it was intentional. Isaiah predicted that He would be "numbered with the transgressors" (Isaiah 53:12). It was always God's plan that Jesus would die among sinners. Why? Because Jesus was the friend of sinners.

And Jesus is the ultimate answer for sinners—including criminals. Only He offers real transformation: a change of heart and a change of life. And that's an offer He continues to make to any one of us, if we turn to Him, acknowledge our guilt, and personally trust in Him.
        Bumping up to help fight spam.

Heisenberg

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post

Bumping up to help fight spam.
          Why did Jesus come to live among us?

Heisenberg

Comment

Working...
          X