Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Heb 10:25-26 (and surrounding if needed): What does it mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heb 10:25-26 (and surrounding if needed): What does it mean?

Heb 10:25-26 (and surrounding if needed): What does it mean?

This is not a debate question. I'm only interested in CoC views. And my interest is to see if there are different views in the more hardline or sectarian CoC's versus the mainline CoC. So please state what position a view is coming from if you respond.

Interested or not, I'm going to tell you that this is not about the weekly assembly, per se'. But, that would be the typical Church of Christ take-away.

Anyone who knows the central theme of the Book of Hebrews and its importance would not even bring up such minutiae.
    Law makes a demand; Grace makes a provision.

Grace terrifies legalists.

Comment

Originally posted by notreligus View Post
      Interested or not, I'm going to tell you that this is not about the weekly assembly, per se'. But, that would be the typical Church of Christ take-away.

Anyone who knows the central theme of the Book of Hebrews and its importance would not even bring up such minutiae.
      I bring it up because I know the central theme.

Comment

It's about the weekly assembly. I attend a right centered (not far right) COC.
        Avery

Comment

Originally posted by UncleAbee View Post
          It's about the weekly assembly. I attend a right centered (not far right) COC.
          Not sure talking about right, center, left, makes sense for worship doctrine designations. But I was raised in a very strict sectarian type COC, and what I always heard was "Not forsaking the assembly of ourselves together" and that missing one Sunday morning service was "forsaking the assembly."

However, when I looked closely at the KJV, I noticed they were misquoting, by accident I'm sure: "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together"

And I came to see that as making a difference. I.e. Its not about forsaking an assembly but the assembling, which means it translates into modern English like "not forsaking the assembling" = "not ceasing to assemble" not "not missing an assembly"

So I'm wondering if perhaps more "mainstream" COC understands it the way I'm suggesting here.

Then if you look in a more modern translation, you might find something like "not giving up meeting together" (NIV2011) (i.e. same as what I suggested above, "not ceasing to assemble")... I was thinking this traditional COC interpretation of compulsory attendance on pains of eternal torment might die out with larger acceptance of other translations (where the distinction between -ly and -ling is not necessary to be debated), yet I notice contrary to this comment by notreligious,

Originally posted by notreligus View Post
          most translations paraphrase it in line with the traditional sectarian COC view actually, so maybe many modern "translations" will buttress rather than kill off this view. For instance, HCSB "not staying away from our worship meetings" or TLB "Let us not neglect our church meetings"

In other words, rather than a particular assembly, I think the author is saying "Don't lapse back into Judaism and stop going to church" not "never miss a Sunday service"....but I see an uphill battle for that interpretation in the COC. And looking at translations other than the NIV, in the way they paraphrase this, I think the traditional over-the-top COC view may be coming to a mainstream Protestant church near you, notreligious.

Comment

Working...
          X