Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Sprinkled as a symbol of cleansing from sin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinkled as a symbol of cleansing from sin

Psalm 51:1-14 (KJV)
    1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
    4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
    5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
    6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
    7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
    9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
    10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
    12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
    13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

Note verse 7

Psalm 51:7 (KJV)
    7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalm 51:7 (NET1)
    7 Sprinkle me[19] with water[20] and I will be pure;[21] wash me[22] and I will be whiter than snow.[23]

Hyssop was a plant used as an aid in sprinkling persons or things in an act of purification

HYSSOP

Small (about 27 inches), bushy plant, probably Origanum maru, the Syrian marjoram. Stalks of hyssop bear numerous, small, white flowers in bunches. Hyssop was thus well suited for use as a “brush” to dab the lintels of Israelite homes with the blood of the Passover lambs (Exod. 12:22). The associations of hyssop with the events of the exodus perhaps led to its use in other rites, the cleansing of lepers (Lev. 14:4,6,49,51-52) and the cleansing of those unclean from contact with a corpse (Num. 19:6,18; see Heifer). Psalm 51:7 applies the well-known image of hyssop to spiritual cleansing from sin.

A branch of hyssop bore the sponge used to offer vinegar to Christ at His crucifixion (John 19:29; Matt. 27:48; Mark 15:36 mention a reed). Various attempts to resolve this tension have been offered. Most exegetes have attempted to harmonize the parallel accounts: (1) by suggesting that Christ was offered vinegar twice, once using a reed and once hyssop; (2) by suggesting both a reed and hyssop were simultaneously used to support the sponge; (3) by emending John’s text to read “spike” which is more easily harmonized with reed; (4) by taking hyssop to refer to a plant other than marjoram which could be described as a reed, such as Sorghum vulgare. An alternative approach is concerned primarily with the question of why (theological significance) rather than the details of what. These interpreters stress that John intends to link Jesus’ death with the exodus event that marked liberation from Egyptian slavery and/or with the OT cleansing rituals involving hyssop. Hebrews 9:19 says the people were sprinkled with hyssop at the reading of the covenant. The account of Exod. 24:6-8 lacks this detail. See Plants.

Joseph E. Glaze, Mitchell G. Reddish, and Charles R. Wade

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary.

HYSSOP

A bush with clusters of small branches. In religious ceremonies, hyssop was sometimes dipped in a liquid and then used to sprinkle people or objects.

Contemporary English Version.

HYSSOP

An indigenous plant to Western Asia and Northern Africa. 1 Kings 4:33.

Israelites used, in sprinkling the blood of the Paschal lamb upon the lintels of their doors. Exod. 12:22.

In sprinkling blood in purifications. Lev. 14:4; Heb. 9:19.

Used in the sacrifices of separation. Num. 19:6.

Used in giving Jesus vinegar on the cross. John 19:29.

Used in a figurative sense, of spiritual cleansing. Ps. 51:7.

Holman Concise Topical Concordance.
    Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Luke 7:24 - And when the messengers of John were departed, he began to speak unto the people concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness for to see? A reed shaken with the wind

Now why would our Lord reference a reed shaking in the wind when speaking of John the Baptist? Perhaps a reference to a hyssop reed and the purging of Psalm 51:7 for the Jews went to see John because he baptized.
    One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.

Comment

Originally posted by uncleanlips View Post
      Luke 7:24 - And when the messengers of John were departed, he began to speak unto the people concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness for to see? A reed shaken with the wind

Now why would our Lord reference a reed shaking in the wind when speaking of John the Baptist? Perhaps a reference to a hyssop reed and the purging of Psalm 51:7 for the Jews went to see John because he baptized.
      No way to confirm this is there?
      Not a strong argument.

Comment

Working...
      X