Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

History of the Church of Christ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of the Church of Christ

I talk with a man at work who is staunch CoC. So often he points the fingers are many churches and how they all seem to have come out of the Catholic church in one form or another and then he brings the conversation back to asking what did God say would be the Name of His church. The accusations he makes about 'all ' of these churches are the very same things that cults have said as well. I speak of Jehovah's Witness, 7th day adventists, Mormons and you could add to this list. There is always a problem with these churches so a man comes forward to straighten the way forward........

Why is it that the CoC is the 'true' church? The answer of 'we follow the bible' is not sufficient because that becomes a matter of interpretation. Exactly why do you believe the CoC is the true church? And why are all other churches supposedly false?

Be slow to speak and always listen. Always ask questions before you input your opinion. You might learn something.

Well since the COC didnít come into existance till the mid 1800ís they are late to the party.

I see your co-worker is still keeping you fascinated.
    No conviction,No conversion
    John 16:8
    And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
      I talk with a man at work who is staunch CoC. So often he points the fingers are many churches and how they all seem to have come out of the Catholic church in one form or another and then he brings the conversation back to asking what did God say would be the Name of His church. The accusations he makes about 'all ' of these churches are the very same things that cults have said as well. I speak of Jehovah's Witness, 7th day adventists, Mormons and you could add to this list. There is always a problem with these churches so a man comes forward to straighten the way forward........

Why is it that the CoC is the 'true' church? The answer of 'we follow the bible' is not sufficient because that becomes a matter of interpretation. Exactly why do you believe the CoC is the true church? And why are all other churches supposedly false?
      There are many if not most CoCs that no longer believe they are the only true church. Although most of us still believe that teachings on how one gets saved make a big difference on that. Most CoCs believe that CoCs are "part of" God's true church, but not the only ones in there. You seem to have run into one of the few who still hold on to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejoran View Post
        There are many if not most CoCs that no longer believe they are the only true church. Although most of us still believe that teachings on how one gets saved make a big difference on that. Most CoCs believe that CoCs are "part of" God's true church, but not the only ones in there. You seem to have run into one of the few who still hold on to that.

Why is that beginning to change? This mans' argument is very cultic. He is very quick to point out 'all these churches have their own manmade doctrine and all came out of the Catholic church'. HIs arguments are those of cults. It seems to me that he has been fed CoC script in order to point out supposed facts. He gets very worked up over these things and I often wonder what percentage of people make up his personality in the CoC?

In any case I often challenge him to show me the lineage of the CoC through history. All he points to is the bible. I tell him that is not a lineage. That is an origin and the CoC did not begin in the bible. It began with Alexander Campbell who came from someone else who then came from someone else and so on. He generally deflects the conversation because he doesn't seem to have an answer for that.

He is very black and white in his thinking and I often see his demeanor as a reflection of his church...................................but of the Hardline CoC can they produce anything demonstrating that their church is the true church?
        Be slow to speak and always listen. Always ask questions before you input your opinion. You might learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigboy View Post
          Well since the COC didn’t come into existance till the mid 1800’s they are late to the party.

I see your co-worker is still keeping you fascinated.
          Yep, 1800s. I tell this guy 'you know what else came into existence in the 1800s?' Cults.

He keeps me fascinated because I ask him questions for my own benefit. I want to know how a ******** COC member thinks and how they skew the bible because they do skew the bible. The sad thing is he is retiring March 2019. I tell him it will be a sad day for me since I won't be able to talk bible with him. I only do it in the secret places because he get very vocal and argumentative and shows no wisdom in the public place for keeping things civil.. He is just a grouchy old man.

Comment

Why is that beginning to change?
            It isn't beginning to change. It's long since changed or been changing. Your co-worker worker is now in the diminishing fringe or his group is.

This mans' argument is very cultic. He is very quick to point out 'all these churches have their own manmade doctrine and all came out of the Catholic church'.
            Chronologically speaking, all of us did. After the New Testament church deteriorated into the Catholic church, they were the only game in town for a while.

HIs arguments are those of cults. It seems to me that he has been fed CoC script in order to point out supposed facts. He gets very worked up over these things and I often wonder what percentage of people make up his personality in the CoC?
            Certainly, the minority. I believe the majority of CoCs these days are much more what you would expect from Jesus's followers. But some maintain some negative attitudes. I'm surprised that your co-worker would specifically denigrate Catholics. Maybe he personally came out of the Catholic Church, I don't know. The fact that he is older is much worse. Yes part of it may be the script he's been given due to the fact that he can't give you a satisfactory Biblical answer. But it sounds to me like it's also his own emotional and spiritual immaturity, which I hope he will grow out of. Most of us, at least those I know, when we believe others are in error, know that a contentious attitude won't help anyone. We must learn how to love and present the truth in the Spirit that Jesus would as much as possible.

In any case I often challenge him to show me the lineage of the CoC through history. All he points to is the bible. I tell him that is not a lineage. That is an origin and the CoC did not begin in the bible. It began with Alexander Campbell who came from someone else who then came from someone else and so on. He generally deflects the conversation because he doesn't seem to have an answer for that.
            My understanding on that. The Restoration Movement from which the Church of Christ I mentioned earlier originated, was begun by Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone, and a few other participants. I have no problem saying that. Romans 16:16 shows that it was "one of" the names the New Testament church called itself, and so we decided to use that name. We could have just as well used any of the other names "Church of God", "The way", etc. as long as it was Biblical. With regard to lineage, I defer to
            Matthew 3:9 and do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

Chronological lineage does not validate a person or a group. What validates a group is whether or not they teach accurately from the Bible and if they live it out as a whole. Not even the New Testament Church was perfect, as is reflected in the corrections and rebukes throughout the epistles. It makes no difference if a church can trace their lineage to the New Testament, and it makes no difference if a new congregation sprouts up today, so long as they are abiding by the Bible. This is my take, anyway.

He is very black and white in his thinking and I often see his demeanor as a reflection of his church...................................but of the Hardline CoC can they produce anything demonstrating that their church is the true church?
            It may very well reflect the attitude of his congregation, or it may be just him. You'd actually have to visit his congregation or talk with others from his group to know. In either case, I would encourage you to visit a CoC that is more like what I'm describing, at least to get that bad taste out of your mouth, and to get a good representation.

Even if your co-worker has some doctrinal things on right, he's gonna have a hard time getting people to listen if he doesn't feel love for them and show it 1 Corinthians 13:2.
            Last edited by Rejoran; 12-18-18, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Yep, 1800s. I tell this guy 'you know what else came into existence in the 1800s?' Cults.

He keeps me fascinated because I ask him questions for my own benefit. I want to know how a ******** COC member thinks and how they skew the bible because they do skew the bible. The sad thing is he is retiring March 2019. I tell him it will be a sad day for me since I won't be able to talk bible with him. I only do it in the secret places because he get very vocal and argumentative and shows no wisdom in the public place for keeping things civil. He is just a grouchy old man.
                Many people skew the Bible, and CoCs are vulnerable just like anyone else. We all have to watch ourselves. But I'm sorry to hear you've encountered such a bad attitude from someone at a CoC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejoran View Post
                  Many people skew the Bible, and CoCs are vulnerable just like anyone else. We all have to watch ourselves. But I'm sorry to hear you've encountered such a bad attitude from someone at a CoC.
                  I pity them personally. A reason I continue to talk with him is to probe him and reason with him. He has more built up within him other than CoC stuff. There is a racial element going on in him as well that blends together with what he calls his faith.

There are many people at work who have a strong dislike for him while others just tease him to get a rise out of him. It doesn't take much. When a person doesn't like their job even the smallest of things become burdensome. So it is with him. I exhort him to treat his job as an outside of the walls church. He is there to serve the heathen but get paid for it. Do his job for the Glory of God and when issues comes up where someone irritates him just walk away. He listens because he tells me I teach him a lot but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

He retires March 31, 2019. I am not looking forward to that date because then I won't talk to him anymore. I have been to his church before. He invited me to come and I actually got a business card from a visiting preacher after talking about my outreach to Jehovah's Witnesses. Many of those people were very nice but I reminded myself that many of them have the mindset of this guy at work. Just get them talking about salvation and it will come through.

Comment

Why is it that the CoC is the 'true' church?
                    Standard CULT mindset. The "Campbellite Church of Christ" is THE ONLY TRUE CHURCH IN THE WORLD - because they SAY they are.

Just like the Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Church of the Latter day Saints, Oneness Pentecostals, and a host of OTHER "US FOUR and NO MORE" lunatic fringe church systems.

Since the CofC seems to have NO operational sense of the Ministry of the Holy SPIRIT in the church in 2019, and preach "Salvation by WORKS", and "Baptismal Regeneration", the likelyhood is that few people in it are even Born Again of the Holy Spirit, so in many cases they're not even "Christians" just "Religious Pagans".

Comment

Indeed - why CoC claims - was a goal - to be "first century Christians" by abandoning Church Doctrines and putting the words in their Bible above the words that came much later in various Doctrine statements of Churches. That was their goal at the start - to be inclusive of all by not letting Creeds divide them. Then it got worse and they turned on themselves, many folded, and Campbell's group spawned several Churches - oddly enough Campbell stayed with those who became the Instrumental group - Christian Church. Today many are about where Baptists were 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X