Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The crucible of history: The loss of community the anthropology of antichristianity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crucible of history: The loss of community the anthropology of antichristianity

Interesting article by Hieromonk Gabriel,

In the most recent article of my series on the anthropology of Antichristianity, I discussed loneliness as the defining characteristic of the modern age, stating that: “We have become existentially unmoored, and so it is no surprise at all that we feel lost, purposeless, and alone.” Faced with such a dilemma, as I see it modern man has only three real choices: Christianity, Antichristianity, or suicide (the latter of which comes in any number of forms). But before examining these choices, I want to give a rather broad and cursory overview of the history of modernity, of the way in which we have come to find ourselves thus “existentially unmoored.”

The twentieth century witnessed the large-scale disintegration of almost every significant social bond which had previously held mankind together. Two horrific world wars — followed swiftly by new realities ushered in by the forces of economic and cultural globalization — nearly demolished the nationalism which had burgeoned during the nineteenth century (it very much remains to be seen whether the recent resurgence of populist sentiment in many Western nations will last for any meaningful period of time).

But nineteenth-century nationalism was itself, in many ways, merely a symptom of the loss of the Christian identity which had previously defined the West for over a thousand years. The collapse of Christendom, effected principally by the Reformation (but finding its true cause much earlier in the history of Western Christianity), is the defining event of the past millennium, and the true progenitor of the modern age.

Once Christendom in the West has been shattered by the Reformation, for a time the chief identity of a society (or of a family within that society) became either Protestant or Catholic — but the catastrophic religious wars of the sixteenth-seventeenth centuries led to the widespread adoption of state secularism (whether de facto or de jure). Religion was not suppressed, but rather privatized — indeed, there is no more fitting adjective with which to describe the character of religion in modernity than “private.” And naturally, that which is a purely private affair cannot possibly form the basis of a social or cultural identity. And though of course religion has endured up until the present day, it has by now become so “private” as to be almost totally inconsequential, even to many of those who still profess to believe. It has been compartmentalized into oblivion. (continued in link.)

https://www.rememberingsion.com/2018...oss-community/
    In accordance with the Apostolic faith delivered to us by tradition from the Fathers, I have delivered the tradition, without inventing anything extraneous to it. What I have learned, that I inscribed, comfortably with the Holy Scriptures

Originally posted by Iakobos View Post
    Interesting article by Hieromonk Gabriel,

In the most recent article of my series on the anthropology of Antichristianity, I discussed loneliness as the defining characteristic of the modern age, stating that: “We have become existentially unmoored, and so it is no surprise at all that we feel lost, purposeless, and alone.” Faced with such a dilemma, as I see it modern man has only three real choices: Christianity, Antichristianity, or suicide (the latter of which comes in any number of forms). But before examining these choices, I want to give a rather broad and cursory overview of the history of modernity, of the way in which we have come to find ourselves thus “existentially unmoored.”

The twentieth century witnessed the large-scale disintegration of almost every significant social bond which had previously held mankind together. Two horrific world wars — followed swiftly by new realities ushered in by the forces of economic and cultural globalization — nearly demolished the nationalism which had burgeoned during the nineteenth century (it very much remains to be seen whether the recent resurgence of populist sentiment in many Western nations will last for any meaningful period of time).

But nineteenth-century nationalism was itself, in many ways, merely a symptom of the loss of the Christian identity which had previously defined the West for over a thousand years. The collapse of Christendom, effected principally by the Reformation (but finding its true cause much earlier in the history of Western Christianity), is the defining event of the past millennium, and the true progenitor of the modern age.

Once Christendom in the West has been shattered by the Reformation, for a time the chief identity of a society (or of a family within that society) became either Protestant or Catholic — but the catastrophic religious wars of the sixteenth-seventeenth centuries led to the widespread adoption of state secularism (whether de facto or de jure). Religion was not suppressed, but rather privatized — indeed, there is no more fitting adjective with which to describe the character of religion in modernity than “private.” And naturally, that which is a purely private affair cannot possibly form the basis of a social or cultural identity. And though of course religion has endured up until the present day, it has by now become so “private” as to be almost totally inconsequential, even to many of those who still profess to believe. It has been compartmentalized into oblivion. (continued in link.)

https://www.rememberingsion.com/2018...oss-community/
    I feel like I could clip quotes from that article and use them to create a book of lamentations.

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post

I feel like I could clip quotes from that article and use them to create a book of lamentations.
      Probably could. The Hieromonk is spot on imo.
      In accordance with the Apostolic faith delivered to us by tradition from the Fathers, I have delivered the tradition, without inventing anything extraneous to it. What I have learned, that I inscribed, comfortably with the Holy Scriptures

Comment

Originally posted by Iakobos View Post

Probably could. The Hieromonk is spot on imo.
        He certainly is. I like his description of the "breakdown" in Western society. No religion. No nationality. No family. Just individuals united by nothing, each going their own way .

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post

He certainly is. I like his description of the "breakdown" in Western society. No religion. No nationality. No family. Just individuals united by nothing, each going their own way .
          His ending is should be a big warning to all.

In the modern age, we worship ourselves — and without any doubt, we too are jealous gods. It is ultimately our own self-love that has destroyed us, and that cannot help but destroy even that which it holds most dear. We have placed everything in the world upon the altar of our own will and our own desire — and in the holocaust of such a sacrifice, there is absolutely nothing which can endure.

If you get a chance you might like Fr. Stephans series on the Modern Project

https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/glory...odern-project/

Comment

Working...
          X