Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Bible Study Rules For conducting an Accountability Group and Discussion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible Study Rules For conducting an Accountability Group and Discussion?

I could not find a Bible Study topic on the forum, so i decided to post this here.

Hello, My name is Joseph Sauer and I am looking for advice to help start and run a bible study.
    I am a bit of an eccentric and have a reputation in my church for controversial ideas,
    But I am trying to mature and be more receptive to other believers thoughts on the scripture.
    I feel and think that the scripture should not be read in a vacuum.
    The whole point of having a bible study is to not be in an echochamber.
    This is not meant to be a substitution for individual reading, prayer, and devotions,
    but to be a companion to it.

That being said, i wanted to start a bible study and accountability group to get through the scriptures each year.
    What I want from you all my friends, is suggestions on rules and principles to run a group more efficiently and helpfully.
    I want to do it every morning or night everyday, so that lazy people like myself have structure and routine to their lives.
    Better to go to church everyday than to sit at home and play videogames.

So what are your ideas?

Originally posted by JosephSauer View Post
    I am a bit of an eccentric and have a reputation in my church for controversial ideas
    Why is that, Joseph?

Why are you eccentric?

Why do you have a reputation for controversial ideas? (are you sure that's the label others actually use, or are they being polite?)

What fruit does it bear?

Are you knowledgeable about what the Bible says about those with an affinity for controversy?

I read where you're "trying to mature." Am I to understand the two conditions, the eccentricity and reputation for controversial ideas versus the maturity are related?
    All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

i wanted to start a bible study and accountability group to get through the scriptures each year.
      Study groups and accountability groups are two different types of groups. In Bible Study the focus is on God and correctly understanding His written word and then applying it to our lives. Accountability has a focus on the the (intimate) needs and errors of the believer and apply (presumably known) standards to those conditions in an honest and forthcoming manner that inextricably bears change.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

I want to do it every morning or night everyday, so that lazy people like myself have structure and routine to their lives.
        Replacing one rote behavior with another is not living.

Comment

Try smallgroupsdotcom. Lots of recommendations, guidelines and resources there.

If the goal is to go through the Bible in one year then begin at the beginning and do so either as written or chronologically (or both, one year as written and the next chronologically).

Or start the group using a study guide on how to study the Bible.

Comment

I could not find a Bible Study topic on the forum, so i decided to post this here.

Hello, My name is Joseph Sauer and I am looking for advice to help start and run a bible study.
            I am a bit of an eccentric and have a reputation in my church for controversial ideas,
            But I am trying to mature and be more receptive to other believers thoughts on the scripture.
            This is not meant to be a substitution for individual reading, prayer, and devotions,

That being said, i wanted to start a bible study and accountability group to get through the scriptures each year.
            What I want from you all my friends, is suggestions on rules and principles to run a group more efficiently and helpfully.

So what are your ideas?
            n>Welcome to CARM.
            Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
            “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

... in my church ...
              n>Which church?
              “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

... a bible study and accountability group to get through the scriptures each year...
                n>I think that goal is a mistake.
                1) The Bible is huge. That goal might require people over an hour each day.
                2) That goal implies all parts of the Bible have equal/similar value. That does not make much sense to people who know about the Bible. Solomon's writings and the Book of Lamentations have less impact on people that do the Gospels, for example. Also, there are similar portions... so you'd be repeating similar ideas. Suggestion: an emphasis on the life and teachings of Jesus will probably change lives in many more ways than other sections of the Bible.
                3) That goal implies also that everyone in the audience is in a similar life-situation.
                4) I suggest you also look into a Bible study method called "Inductive".

Comment

Thank you all for your comments!

So I hope to answer all your questions and address your concerns.

I am a member of Olive Street Presbyterian Church a congregation in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
                  I have mixed opinions on the congregation and from what I know about the presbytery and denomination as a whole.

I have coined the phrase, "All Scripture is God-Breathed, but Some Scripture is more God-breathed than others."
                  Yes, the bible is huge, and in my humble opinion it is not all equal, but I seek to have a better understanding of the whole of it.

Yes, a bible study and an accountability group are different, so I guess I want a hybrid group between them.
                  I plan to have it take a couple to several hours a week. yes I have way too much time on my hands.

"
                  Why is that, Joseph?
                  Why are you eccentric?
                  Why do you have a reputation for controversial ideas? (are you sure that's the label others actually use, or are they being polite?)
                  What fruit does it bear?
                  Are you knowledgeable about what the Bible says about those with an affinity for controversy?
                  I read where you're "trying to mature." Am I to understand the two conditions, the eccentricity and reputation for controversial ideas versus the maturity are related?"

I was trying to walk the fine line between acknowledging my own limitations and being aware of my home churches shortcomings.
                  I have a high opinion of the board of elders and also the deacons, as well as other members who do not hold office.
                  But I have a number of objections and constructive criticisms for the congregation. especially when it comes to doctrine and dogma.
                  I think my interpretations of the scripture is more congruent with what the scripture actually says. But everyone thinks their right in their own eyes.
                  I was trying to be polite, now I have moved from being borderline heretical to being simply unorthodox.
                  In the Calvinist-Arminian debate, I am a compatibilist. To put it simply if arminianism is watered down Pelagianism, then I think it fair to say that Calvinism is watered down Fatalism
                  That is one example of how I disagree in principle with the church, but I am even more cross about the practices of the church.
                  The church has ministries other than sunday service, but every idea for new ones seems to die in committee,
                  We have a about a half dozen men in my church that have degrees related to the faith (divinity/ministry/theology etc), and I have suggested making a school or institute and start equipping not only the members, but the surrounding community for the ministry, but nothing has ever come of it, they won't even let me start a fund to lay the ground work.
                  I also differ with the church on women deacons/elders/pastors, but I can understand where they come from.
                  I do not really like contemporary church music, but I am not opposed to allowing it like some other members. who may leave if it is introduced. and the elders tiptoe around it.
                  The elders seem to like the status quo, which is slowing causing the church to die. I know that quantity of members does not make a healthy church.
                  And that quality is not measured by degrees and worldly accomplishments, like popularity and reputation, but the church seems to have neither quality or quantity.
                  We lack vision, passion, and foresight. and those that do have the drive and insight to make change happen are suppressed by elders.

Sorry to gripe I do love my church, but it lacks the flexibility to address are calling to serve the lord and our community.

Comment

I am a member of Olive Street Presbyterian Church a congregation in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)

Consider looking for an EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church), you'll still get the reformed doctrines with the conservative evangelical perspective.

I was trying to walk the fine line between acknowledging my own limitations and being aware of my home churches shortcomings. I have a high opinion of the board of elders and also the deacons, as well as other members who do not hold office. But I have a number of objections and constructive criticisms for the congregation. especially when it comes to doctrine and dogma. I think my interpretations of the scripture is more congruent with what the scripture actually says. But everyone thinks their right in their own eyes. I was trying to be polite, now I have moved from being borderline heretical to being simply unorthodox.
                    In the Calvinist-Arminian debate, I am a compatibilist. To put it simply if arminianism is watered down Pelagianism, then I think it fair to say that Calvinism is watered down Fatalism
                    That is one example of how I disagree in principle with the church, but I am even more cross about the practices of the church.
                    The church has ministries other than sunday service, but every idea for new ones seems to die in committee, We have a about a half dozen men in my church that have degrees related to the faith (divinity/ministry/theology etc), and I have suggested making a school or institute and start equipping not only the members, but the surrounding community for the ministry, but nothing has ever come of it, they won't even let me start a fund to lay the ground work. I also differ with the church on women deacons/elders/pastors, but I can understand where they come from. I do not really like contemporary church music, but I am not opposed to allowing it like some other members. who may leave if it is introduced. and the elders tiptoe around it. The elders seem to like the status quo, which is slowing causing the church to die. I know that quantity of members does not make a healthy church. And that quality is not measured by degrees and worldly accomplishments, like popularity and reputation, but the church seems to have neither quality or quantity. We lack vision, passion, and foresight. and those that do have the drive and insight to make change happen are suppressed by elders.

Sorry to gripe I do love my church, but it lacks the flexibility to address are calling to serve the lord and our community.
                    Only that last comment answers myany of my questions.

Apparently, you're pretty judgmental (another word for "gripe"). I was asking about you and most of what I received was about others. I'd like you to note and pay attention to that as you go about trying to make this small group thing happen. If you want church to be better then begin with yourself and be willing to accept correction without offense, especially when the message is correct even if delivered poorly. Message, not messenger.

Consider the middle part of Gal. 5:19-21. There Paul notes that the works of flesh include dissension, divisiveness, enmity, factionalism, etc. All of us are working to keep our doctrinal affiliations from being idols. This is not the same with having an attitude or spirit of contention. The former debates here will either iron out of you or exacerbate. The latter is something no one here can help you with, at least not until it is confessed and repented. So ask God to help you see what's really going on inside because you did not get a reputation for controversy because of what others do or say.
                    In the Calvinist-Arminian debate, I am a compatibilist. To put it simply if arminianism is watered down Pelagianism, then I think it fair to say that Calvinism is watered down Fatalism.

Take that statement to the Arminiaism and Calvinism board and many there will set you straight. Btw, the most frequently occurring problem in that board is posters who don't know their own soteriology.

Welcome to the board, Joseph. I want you to feel even more welcome but this last post is a pile of dross. You are going to have to rise to much greater levels of discourse if you hope to benefit from this forum. Posters here will use much stronger language and deploy more forceful judgments than "pile of dross." There are plenty of Calvinists here so oyou should be able to find fellowship and encouragement here and learn a lot. There are also lots of different povs. There are many here well-practiced, well-educated, and very intelligent and articulate posters here. We also have our share of fools. You'll figure out the trolls soon enough.

Read the forums rules (the link is at the top of every page on the left and it opens in a new tab).
                    Bone up on the basics of Bible exegesis.
                    Bone up on the basics of logical fallacies.
                    Cite the scripture references for claims made.

Comment

So what are your ideas?
                      Hi Mr Joseph
                      Welcome to CARM forum.

Firstly you need to FULLY understand why YESHUA said these words in Matt 24: 1, 4, 11 & 24 ,, Matt 15: 8-9 ,, Matt 22: 14 , Matt 7: 21-23 ,, Rev 21: 14 ,, Matt 22: 37 ,, Rev 2: 1-2,, Rev 14: 12 ,,Rev 12: 17

Once you have worked out why YESHUA gave those warnings / Messages above , then you will need to make a Bible study to work out who the WOLFMAN49 is ?

So, let me start by asking you to answer the questions below;-

2 Corinthians 12:16
                      16 "Be that as it may, I have not been a burden to you. Yet, crafty fellow that I am, I CAUGHT YOU BY TRICKERY"

Which of these quotes would you advise your bible students to follow?

Rom 5: 20 or Heb 10: 26 ?

Rom 2: 13 or Gal 2: 16 ?

Heb 13: 17 or Acts 5: 29 ? Obey man or GOD?

Rom 8: 1 or 2nd Cor 5: 10 ?

Gal 5: 14 or Matt 22: 37-40 ? ONE or TWO?

Acts 15: 7 say Peter was God's chosen Apostle to the Gentiles

Acts 9: 15 says Paul is God's chosen Apostle to the Gentiles .

which of these would you advise your readers to accept as truth ? Acts 15: 7 or Acts 9: 15?

Blessings

Danno
                      Last edited by DANNO; 02-13-19, 11:48 AM.
                      Fear God and keep his commandments,
                      for this is the duty of ALL mankind. Ecc 12: 13

Comment

So what are your ideas?
                        What's your sense of urgency? What's your goal, to hear what God's written word says or to hear how God speaks to your heart? The latter is mysticism. All of us are guilty of it and it's plagued the church just like moralism. Different churches read through God's word often peppered with unfortunate commentary.

​​​​​​Nic
                        1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
                        1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

Working...
                        X