Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The New Perspective on Paul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The New Perspective on Paul

    Originally posted by Nic View Post
    Hi DBerry,

    How do you collate the gospel in the broad sense?
    How do you collate the gospel in the narrow sense?
    I believe Nic has hit upon something which needs to be considered.

    Has anyone ever considered this?


    New Perspective on Paul—

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul


    The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
    Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

    I believe Nic has hit upon something which needs to be considered.

    Has anyone ever considered this?


    New Perspective on Paul—

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul


    The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
    Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.
    Bump for the Lutherans

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post


      Has anyone ever considered this?
      Extensively. You can't purchase your way into heaven through good works. NPP is a fringe element developed by heretics that wish to sideline the gospel of Christ in favor of one that allows you to work your way into heaven. It's no surprise that Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Mormons would enamored by such a false doctrine because it's one they've always believed in.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dropkick View Post
        Extensively. You can't purchase your way into heaven through good works. NPP is a fringe element developed by heretics that wish to sideline the gospel of Christ in favor of one that allows you to work your way into heaven. I
        Maybe you could explain for us how you are relating working your way into heaven--and the position of The New Perspective on Paul?


        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul


        The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
        Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

          Maybe you could explain for us how you are relating working your way into heaven--and the position of The New Perspective on Paul?


          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul


          The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
          Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.
          So do you really think that it took 2,000 years for the Holy Spirit to find someone who would have a "new" perspective and it would be right?
          Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

          “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
          but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther


          Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post Maybe you could explain for us how you are relating working your way into heaven--and the position of The New Perspective on Paul?

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul

            The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
            Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.
            Originally posted by Thekla View Post
            So do you really think that it took 2,000 years for the Holy Spirit to find someone who would have a "new" perspective and it would be right?
            I believe the ""new Perspective on Paul" is exactly the position Paul had 2,000 years ago.

            Comment


            • #7
              New Perspective on NT Wright, not what he is cracked up to be.
              1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
              1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dropkick View Post Extensively. You can't purchase your way into heaven through good works. NPP is a fringe element developed by heretics that wish to sideline the gospel of Christ in favor of one that allows you to work your way into heaven.
                Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post
                Maybe you could explain for us how you are relating working your way into heaven--and the position of The New Perspective on Paul?

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul

                The new perspective on Paul represents a significant shift in the way some scholars, especial Protestant scholars, interpret the writings of the Apostle Paul.
                Paul, especially in his epistle to the Romans, advocates justification through faith in Jesus Christ over justification through works of the Law. In the historic Lutheran and Reformed perspective, known as sola fide, theologians understood Paul as arguing that Christians' good works would not factor into their salvation - only their faith would count. But according to the "new" perspective, Paul was questioning only observances such as circumcision, dietary laws, and Sabbath laws (these were the 'boundary markers that set the Jews apart from the other nations), not good works in general.
                Bump for Dropkick

                Comment

                Working...
                X