Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A Biblicist and Lent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Biblicist and Lent

An Imaginary Conversation About Lent That’s Not All That Imaginary Because I’ve Had This Conversation 157 Times
    by Hans Fiene

"Lent isn't in the Bible,” says the Biblicist as he flails his arms and surmises that the source of my confusion stems from that one time Luther wrote a couple screeds called 1 Lent and 2 Sacrament, stuffed them in between the Pauline epistles, and convinced his fellow semi-******* they were canonical.

“Well, Lent just means ‘spring,’ so technically the word does show up in the Bible,” I reply.

“But the Bible doesn’t tell us to celebrate the season of Lent. And unless the Bible tells us to worship a certain way, we shouldn’t worship that way,” the Biblicist clarifies, then checks weather.com to see how warm it’s going to be for his congregation’s 3rd annual 5k prayer walk.

“I don’t think we should confuse ‘not mandated’ with ‘forbidden,’ my friend,” I say. “While the Bible doesn’t specifically tell us to celebrate the season of Lent, the Bible does tell us to do everything that we do in Lent.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” I say, “Lent is a special time of the church year when we focus on repentance. Doesn’t the Bible tell us to repent of our sins like a million times?”

“3,597, actually,” he grumbles.

“Also, Lent is about disciplining our flesh against sinful desires. The Bible definitely tell us to do that, right?”

“1 Corinthians 9:27, yeah,” the Biblicist says.

“And finally, Lent is a time of year where we meditate on the sufferings of Christ. Isn’t that what God is also telling us to do in Isaiah 53and Psalm 22 and the passion narratives in all four Gospels, just to name a few examples?”

“OK, sure.”

“So, really,” I say, “Lent is nothing more than aiming to keep the words of Hebrews 12:1-2, ‘Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.’”

“But we should do that stuff all the time, not just a couple times a year,” the Biblicist shouts. “I mean, it’s not like this is communion.”

“And, in fact, we do do that stuff every Sunday,” I say.

The Biblicist laughs.

“You said doo-doo.”

“Right,” I say and rub my eyes. “Nonetheless, during Lent, we just place a bit more emphasis on that stuff. Perhaps it helps to look at the church year the way we look at a book of the Bible, where certain themes take center stage at one point, and other themes do so at another point, but all those themes are still present throughout. For example, just because John focuses on the incarnation more at the beginning of his Gospel doesn’t mean that incarnational theology isn’t found in the rest of it. And just because Paul highlights the end times in 1 Corinthians 15, this doesn’t mean he’s ignoring eschatology in the rest of that book’s chapters. So if those who wrote the Bible focused on one theme at one time and another theme at another, those of us who believe the Bible should certainly be free to do the same in our worship.”

The Biblicist squints and taps his fingers on his chin a few times.

“I get what you’re saying,” he says. “But you’re forgetting the main reason why we shouldn’t celebrate Lent.”

“Why’s that,” I ask.

“Because Lent isn’t in the Bible.”

SOURCE
    1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
    1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Originally posted by Nic View Post
    An Imaginary Conversation About Lent That’s Not All That Imaginary Because I’ve Had This Conversation 157 Times
    by Hans Fiene

"Lent isn't in the Bible,” says the Biblicist as he flails his arms and surmises that the source of my confusion stems from that one time Luther wrote a couple screeds called 1 Lent and 2 Sacrament, stuffed them in between the Pauline epistles, and convinced his fellow semi-******* they were canonical.

“Well, Lent just means ‘spring,’ so technically the word does show up in the Bible,” I reply.

“But the Bible doesn’t tell us to celebrate the season of Lent. And unless the Bible tells us to worship a certain way, we shouldn’t worship that way,” the Biblicist clarifies, then checks weather.com to see how warm it’s going to be for his congregation’s 3rd annual 5k prayer walk.

“I don’t think we should confuse ‘not mandated’ with ‘forbidden,’ my friend,” I say. “While the Bible doesn’t specifically tell us to celebrate the season of Lent, the Bible does tell us to do everything that we do in Lent.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” I say, “Lent is a special time of the church year when we focus on repentance. Doesn’t the Bible tell us to repent of our sins like a million times?”

“3,597, actually,” he grumbles.

“Also, Lent is about disciplining our flesh against sinful desires. The Bible definitely tell us to do that, right?”

“1 Corinthians 9:27, yeah,” the Biblicist says.

“And finally, Lent is a time of year where we meditate on the sufferings of Christ. Isn’t that what God is also telling us to do in Isaiah 53and Psalm 22 and the passion narratives in all four Gospels, just to name a few examples?”

“OK, sure.”

“So, really,” I say, “Lent is nothing more than aiming to keep the words of Hebrews 12:1-2, ‘Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.’”

“But we should do that stuff all the time, not just a couple times a year,” the Biblicist shouts. “I mean, it’s not like this is communion.”

“And, in fact, we do do that stuff every Sunday,” I say.

The Biblicist laughs.

“You said doo-doo.”

“Right,” I say and rub my eyes. “Nonetheless, during Lent, we just place a bit more emphasis on that stuff. Perhaps it helps to look at the church year the way we look at a book of the Bible, where certain themes take center stage at one point, and other themes do so at another point, but all those themes are still present throughout. For example, just because John focuses on the incarnation more at the beginning of his Gospel doesn’t mean that incarnational theology isn’t found in the rest of it. And just because Paul highlights the end times in 1 Corinthians 15, this doesn’t mean he’s ignoring eschatology in the rest of that book’s chapters. So if those who wrote the Bible focused on one theme at one time and another theme at another, those of us who believe the Bible should certainly be free to do the same in our worship.”

The Biblicist squints and taps his fingers on his chin a few times.

“I get what you’re saying,” he says. “But you’re forgetting the main reason why we shouldn’t celebrate Lent.”

“Why’s that,” I ask.

“Because Lent isn’t in the Bible.”

SOURCE
    Christmas and Easter aren't in the Bible either. Maybe we should celebrate Passover and Hanukkah. They are in the Bible.

Oopsie, Hanukkah isn't in the Bible either, just its story. I guess the Jews celebrate a lot like us.
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Working...
    X