Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is It Possible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible

For a lutherite to give a clear concise answer to a lost sinner who asks what must I do to be saved ?
    No conviction,No conversion
    John 16:8
    And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Originally posted by Bigboy View Post
    For a lutherite to give a clear concise answer to a lost sinner who asks what must I do to be saved ?
    Only if they're Born again themselves. Many Lutherans are.

There are in my experience even saved Baptists. I was led to the Lord by one (with the conviction of the Holy Spirit as the prime mover)!!

Comment

lol.......

Why don't you respond to the lutherans in the first place before you start spamming the forums with EDITED threads?
      Last edited by Mod10; 11-30-18, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Not a great fan of hypotheticals, but do we get to be in prison praying and singing hymns and then there is an earthquake that opens the doors and looses our bonds? And d OK es the guard who has been listening to us all night and who now fears for his life then ask us, what must I do to be saved?

That may seem tongue in cheek, but the point is that there was a lot of preparation of the questioner prior to his question. What is the preparation of the questioner in your hypothetical and how much does the Christian know of that preparation?
        Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
        BJ -Bear
        VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
        WELS

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Only if they're Born again themselves. Many Lutherans are.

There are in my experience even saved Baptists. I was led to the Lord by one (with the conviction of the Holy Spirit as the prime mover)!!
          And most Baptists are our dear brothers and sisters in Christ.
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
          "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
          "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

Not a great fan of hypotheticals, but do we get to be in prison praying and singing hymns and then there is an earthquake that opens the doors and looses our bonds? And d OK es the guard who has been listening to us all night and who now fears for his life then ask us, what must I do to be saved?

That may seem tongue in cheek, but the point is that there was a lot of preparation of the questioner prior to his question. What is the preparation of the questioner in your hypothetical and how much does the Christian know of that preparation?
            Jesus once offered this as a response to that very question.
            Mark 10:17-21
            17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” 21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
            I think it's of interest to note Jesus let the law and gospel work without Jesus saying something like,
            'Now wait a minute don't go away sad, I was halfway kidding, let me clear it up a bit and tell you what I meant to say was just confess your past sins and you'll be set to inherit eternal life.'
            Last edited by Nic; 11-30-18, 04:07 PM.
            1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
            1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

And most Baptists are our dear brothers and sisters in Christ.
              Yes, but there seems to be an air about baptists when it comes to being locked into what may be well deemed as Baptist absolutes. It's as if a legal wrangling is always going on just beneath the surface, that is so persistent, it doesn't take much for it to break the surface in conversations.
              I like baptists as much as any other genuine believer, but I get a bit amused when I see this stuff so prevalent. Oh course every group most likely has some variation on this theme. Some charismatic types are guilty of using their ideas of tongues, prophecy and prayer language as what I regard as hyper-mystical or spookiness (official theological jargon ) to them when I visit with them. Some of these go so far as to condemn other professing Christians who are not Azusa Street new teaching adherents. But that's enough for examples.

Nic
              Last edited by Nic; 11-30-18, 04:15 PM.
              1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
              1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post

Jesus once offered this as a response to that very question.
                Mark 10:17-21
                17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” 21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
                I think it's of interest to note Jesus let the law and gospel work without Jesus saying something like,
                'Now wait a minute don't go away sad, I was halfway kidding, let me clear it up a bit and tell you what I meant to say was just confess your past sins and you'll be set to inherit eternal life.'
                Great post, Nic!

Peace,
                BJ -Bear
                WELS

Comment

So far the lutherites have NO answer.
                  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

Bigboy,
                    Jesus provided an answer yet he too failed your pop quiz. If Jesus failed we are all in good company, no?

p.s.
                    I was going to answer your last question of me, but I can't find it in the midst of the recent thread activity. Maybe you can help me find it?

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post

Yes, but there seems to be an air about baptists when it comes to being locked into what may be well deemed as Baptist absolutes.

Nic
                      It's one of the most amazing things I've seen. To declare some justified by faith then judge them in minutiae. I know not all the radical reformed are this way but they all seem to have specific rules on the proper application of something that the say only gets you wet.

Comment

yah we have. We've answered your questions time and time again. But since legalism is your true motive you tend to stick your fingers in your ears and yell LALALALALALA until you get the desired answer. It's why you never respond to our arguments.

Comment

This is the kind of stuff that happens when the gospel ceases to be objective true good news to and for all men.

It also looks like another demonstration of the error of trying to make an inviolable doctrine or command out of an example depicted in Scripture. What else can it be called when the presentation of the Lord's answer is considered to not be an answer?

Like the Lord we care more about the person than emulating a legalistically stacked game of out of context Bible trivia.

Peace,
                          BJ -Bear
                          WELS

Comment

The answer is Repent and be baptized.
                            Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                            but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post

The answer is Repent and be baptized.
                              The theif on the cross repented........but no baptism.........so your answer is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X