Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Christian Dogmatics by Frances Peiper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washedluminary
    started a topic Christian Dogmatics by Frances Peiper

Christian Dogmatics by Frances Peiper

Has anyone here ever read Frances Peiper's multi Volume "Christian Dogmatics"? I just aquired a copy and wondered what any of you Lutheran's (or anyone else) thought of it.

• BJ BEAR
    replied
    Originally posted by Washedluminary View Post
    Has anyone here ever read Frances Peiper's multi Volume "Christian Dogmatics"? I just aquired a copy and wondered what any of you Lutheran's (or anyone else) thought of it.
    I've read a good chunk of it. He makes some good points but is sometimes a little too tendentious to suit my taste.

My $.02. The who killed Mac Dougal analogy in that other guy's work is just awful.

Leave a comment:

• Washedluminary
    replied
    Originally posted by Jethro77 View Post

Have you ever found a good reason to read any "dogmatics"/ "dogmatica" ?

I've seen it seems to only lead to dissension, deception, and confusion, obscuring the truth instead of revealing the truth.
    I've actually found a very helpful to read theologies/Dogmatics. I've read grudem and berkhof systematic theologies and I'm currently reading geerhardus Vos' biblical theology. I already know where I stand in my beliefs and I definitely disagree with them on points but it helps me to think things through and see things from different angles.

Leave a comment:

• Nic
    replied
    I haven't had the luxury of owning any scholarly dogmatic works. The one you cite has a good reputation. It doesn't mean everything in these texts are error free, but are largely truthful and (IMHO) beneficial. Different theologians have their strengths and weaknesses and usually when an author is being advocated for any particular expression in these works, those are likely areas of their strengths. Occasionally I'll hear someone preface a particular work and remind the audience with something like, "Recall so and so, is thought to be a little weak in this particular area...." But those reminders are few and far and in between. So overall the works are solid in how they agree with scripture and consequently Lutheran theology. I'm thankful Thekla mentioned they are found online. I have found other works online in the past, that were being translated at the time of my discovery. I think some copywrite may have expired on the one I'm thinking of, the person doing some translating was seeking a few others for same. His name was Tom Cotton and last I heard he was in Japan serving as an assistant pastor at my former affiliate of Calvary Chapel. Tom clearly knows German and before Japan he hailed from Austrailia.
    The Henkel family or one of the sons, comes to mind and wrote of the sacraments of hearing and sound waves. :○)
    Last edited by Nic; 02-04-19, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jethro77
    replied
    Have you ever found a good reason to read any "dogmatics"/ "dogmatica" ?

I've seen it seems to only lead to dissension, deception, and confusion, obscuring the truth instead of revealing the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Thekla
    replied
    I've never heard of it before. I looked it up online. I'll try to read it later. I'm going to have lunch now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X