Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Help With Unbelief

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so happy for your daughter. Rhetorically speaking, I wonder what drives your husband to attend church at all?
    These forum surveys are fine for what they are, but each forum will have their bias, have you considered reading up on these various church origins and why they developed as they have? Modern American Christianity owes much of its teachings and practices from two wells that I'm aware of: C.G. Finney (Finneyism-nervous bench, new measures, consequently altar calls) coupled with the other gross error post reformation pietist which largely can be attributed to Lutheran men of likes of Jakob Spener.

Nic
    1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
    1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

• Originally posted by Faith1960 View Post

Asking here because their office closed already for the day. I was wondering if anyone here might know.
      I was born Lutheran in the LCA Synod. I married a man who belonged to the UCC. My Pastor told me something that blew my mind.Then the chose to allow abortions. I left the Lutheran Church and joined the UCC. I liked it very much when I joined it. The Pastor had been a Lutheran some Lutheran Churches were part of the UCC when it started in the 1950's. I was a member for 7 years. The Pastor retired and we got a new one. He had been from a church like the Baptist church. So we went from believing in baptism and communion to a different way. It upset me very much. My husband and I went to many churches to find one we liked. We finally joined the LCMS and I have been a member since then. We didn't use those names of services that you wrote. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. They are a pretty liberal church.
      Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

ďReason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
      but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.Ē ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Nic View Post
        I'm so happy for your daughter. Rhetorically speaking, I wonder what drives your husband to attend church at all?
        These forum surveys are fine for what they are, but each forum will have their bias, have you considered reading up on these various church origins and why they developed as they have? Modern American Christianity owes much of its teachings and practices from two wells that I'm aware of: C.G. Finney (Finneyism-nervous bench, new measures, consequently altar calls) coupled with the other gross error post reformation pietist which largely can be attributed to Lutheran men of likes of Jakob Spener.

Nic
        He just goes because I want him with me at Christmas, and I think he, himself, wants to go on Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thekla View Post

I was born Lutheran in the LCA Synod. I married a man who belonged to the UCC. My Pastor told me something that blew my mind.Then the chose to allow abortions. I left the Lutheran Church and joined the UCC. I liked it very much when I joined it. The Pastor had been a Lutheran some Lutheran Churches were part of the UCC when it started in the 1950's. I was a member for 7 years. The Pastor retired and we got a new one. He had been from a church like the Baptist church. So we went from believing in baptism and communion to a different way. It upset me very much. My husband and I went to many churches to find one we liked. We finally joined the LCMS and I have been a member since then. We didn't use those names of services that you wrote. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. They are a pretty liberal church.
          What do you like about the LCMS?

Comment

There’s another church I’ve also been considering, but it’s not Lutheran or ND, but U C.C. Their website says that the first a.m.service is a “heritage service” and the second is a “connection service.” Does anyone know what that means?
            Just a guess, but I would equate those services to a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" service. I think that those terms are more commonly used.
            "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

My worshiping elsewhere doesnít matter to my family. Hubby only goes to church on Christmas and my daughter is an adult living in her own place and a recent convert to Catholicism.
              The only.problem my hubby has with all this is he knows that I change my mind a lot and heís concerned that Iíll switch churches and then change my mind about it soon after.
              Iím not planning on making any decisions right now. Iím looking into my options and learning about each church.
              After my wife and I left the Episcopal Church (after spending 17 years there), we spent three years discerning where God was calling us. (To be fair with my wife, she already knew but was waiting on the slow one, i.e., me). We spent most, although not all, of that time at a LCMS congregation. In the end, we came into the Catholic Church. As a Catholic, I obviously would encourage you to stay with the Catholic Church but, in any event, this is a decision that you should think and pray seriously about (as well as discuss with your Christian friends) as opposed to making quick decisions that you may feel the need to change later.
              "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

They are a pretty liberal church.
                To whom do you refer?

On what basis do you make those terms "heritage service" and "connectional service" to be "liberal terms" since you admit that you are unfamiliar with those terms? Yet upon reflection, it seems to me, that the first term is describing a traditional type of service, perhaps more liturgical than the more relational "connectional service".

In my region of NY, there is a United Methodist Church which did / does (?) that sort of thing
                MY FOUR APOLOGETIC AXIOMS

1. Any verse ripped from its context is a pretext 100% of the time

2. We attack lies so others will see the truth; that is proof of our love for all cultists, not our hatred .

3. Inconsistency is a tiny hobgoblin haunting every cult

4. "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

Comment

What do you like about the LCMS?
                  I am taking this to mean you want to know why I prefer this synod over others and are not asking why I like a Luther Church over others.

The LCMS accepts the entire Book of Concord. ELCA is much more liberal. Since I was raised in the LCA (which is now part of ELCA) if I lived in a small town that had ELCA churches and no LCMS I would attend it. So please understand that it is the liberal issues supported by ELCA that I do not like, not the major basis of their beliefs.

I have to explain that the LCMS teaches that it isn't what we do that saves us. Please look at the following verse.

Ephesians 2: 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faithóand this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of Godó 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are Godís handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We know that we are not perfect and that we sin. God has prepared works for us to do and we will do them because we love God. We may do them and not even know that we have. So my love for this church is on its faith in God not man.

I also know that there are small differences between every church. Which songs they sing, what activities the congregation do. I belong to LWML (Lutheran Woman's Missionary League). Every other month, we meet for lunch. It isn't our meeting for what we will do, it is a meeting for friendship and to get to know each other better. We had a great time and I laughed myself silly. I'm in my 70's. I don't get out as much as I used to do, I'm not strong enough to do a lot of things that I used to do. A lot of my friends have moved away and some have died. So I take great joy in this meeting when both the young and the old come together and unite with Christ in loving friendship. So this too is one of the reasons I like LCMS.

Many LCMS churches have coffee and donuts and other sweets after church so everyone can greet each other. If the church you are attending has one, stay for it and talk to some of the members. Believe me, they will be happy to talk to you. Honestly though, some people are shy, so smile and tell some one you are looking for a church to join and I'm sure you will be surrounded by people telling you what you will like about that church. lol

ďReason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                  but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.Ē ― Martin Luther

Comment

• Originally posted by john t View Post

To whom do you refer?

On what basis do you make those terms "heritage service" and "connectional service" to be "liberal terms" since you admit that you are unfamiliar with those terms? Yet upon reflection, it seems to me, that the first term is describing a traditional type of service, perhaps more liturgical than the more relational "connectional service".

In my region of NY, there is a United Methodist Church which did / does (?) that sort of thing
                    I explained why I liked the church and why I didn't. I said I didn't know what the terms meant. I didn't say they were liberal terms. I said the church is liberal and that is why I left it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudder View Post

Just a guess, but I would equate those services to a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" service. I think that those terms are more commonly used.
                      Yeah, I called and thatís what she told me. She said that the older members prefer the Heritage service and yhe younger prefer the Connection service. Iím 58 but would prefer the Connection service. Iíll probably go there weekend after next.

Comment

I explained why I liked the church and why I didn't. I said I didn't know what the terms meant. I didn't say they were liberal terms. I said the church is liberal and that is why I left it.
                        I like that the UCC is theologically liberal but I donít like that theyíre so liberal that they donít oppose abortion. Of course, a UCC member is free to be pro-life if thatís what they feel in their heart and believe.

Comment

I like that the UCC is theologically liberal but I don’t like that they’re so liberal that they don’t oppose abortion. Of course, a UCC member is free to be pro-life if that’s what they feel in their heart and believe.
                          Liberal theological views tend to grow more and more liberal as time marches on. Sometimes the term progressive is used because it sounds more positive, but they are in one in the same in most cases. Unity at the expense of doctrine and fear of offending persons drives liberalism in churches.
                          1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
                          1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

I am taking this to mean you want to know why I prefer this synod over others and are not asking why I like a Luther Church over others.

The LCMS accepts the entire Book of Concord. ELCA is much more liberal. Since I was raised in the LCA (which is now part of ELCA) if I lived in a small town that had ELCA churches and no LCMS I would attend it. So please understand that it is the liberal issues supported by ELCA that I do not like, not the major basis of their beliefs.

I have to explain that the LCMS teaches that it isn't what we do that saves us. Please look at the following verse.

Ephesians 2: 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We know that we are not perfect and that we sin. God has prepared works for us to do and we will do them because we love God. We may do them and not even know that we have. So my love for this church is on its faith in God not man.

I also know that there are small differences between every church. Which songs they sing, what activities the congregation do. I belong to LWML (Lutheran Woman's Missionary League). Every other month, we meet for lunch. It isn't our meeting for what we will do, it is a meeting for friendship and to get to know each other better. We had a great time and I laughed myself silly. I'm in my 70's. I don't get out as much as I used to do, I'm not strong enough to do a lot of things that I used to do. A lot of my friends have moved away and some have died. So I take great joy in this meeting when both the young and the old come together and unite with Christ in loving friendship. So this too is one of the reasons I like LCMS.

Many LCMS churches have coffee and donuts and other sweets after church so everyone can greet each other. If the church you are attending has one, stay for it and talk to some of the members. Believe me, they will be happy to talk to you. Honestly though, some people are shy, so smile and tell some one you are looking for a church to join and I'm sure you will be surrounded by people telling you what you will like about that church. lol
                            Ok, Iíll do that. They do have coffee and something to eat, donuts I think. Are they free or should I be carrying more money?
                            Iím a little shy but I canít wait for the pastor and other staff member I know to come up and talk to me all the time so Iíll talk to people. At the beginning of the service, the pastor tells everyone to greet other members (or are they called parishioners?) and everybody has been very kind and welcoming to me.
                            itís kind of like the Catholic version of the sign of peace, but people at the LCMS are friendlier, less reserved.
                            The Catholic Church Iím coming from only has coffee and donuts occasionally and has less opportunities to meet people.
                            Last edited by Faith1960; 02-12-19, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nic View Post

Liberal theological views tend to grow more and more liberal as time marches on. Sometimes the term progressive is used because it sounds more positive, but they are in one in the same in most cases. Unity at the expense of doctrine and fear of offending persons drives liberalism in churches.
                              I take it you donít like the UCC?

Comment

Both, actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X