Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Closed Communion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Closed Communion

    i went to another Protestants (Lutherans) vs Catholics class tonight and just heard that LCMS practice closed Communion. I have been taking Communion there for months but now I’m wondering if I’m supposed to?
    First of all, I disagree with them about the age of the earth, and,
    Second, I haven’t taken their class they require to become a member of their congregation.
    Im taking it next time it’s offered,I think in September.
    A few months ago one of their pastors (not the lead pastor) told me it was ok since I believe in Jesus and had my First Communion at my Catholic Church years ago.

    Can I take Communion there?

  • #2
    Each congregation can make that decision. Back 20 years ago, if I was traveling on vacation I would go to an elder or the Pastor and ask if I could take communion in their church. I told them I was Lutheran. Most of the times, I got a card from my Pastor telling them I was Lutheran. Most of the churches I knew were closed communion only open to other LCMS.

    They have gotten a little more open now.I wouldn't worry about you not believing in the age of the earth, that isn't important to salvation. You need to love and worship God. Believe that Christ saves you. Most people don't know the entire Bible. They don't all agree on things. You should get a catechism, you will learn what you should believe if you want to take communion. Anyway, your Pastor told you that you can take communion so don't worry about it. Praise God and take it.
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

    “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther


    Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Thekla View Post
      Each congregation can make that decision. Back 20 years ago, if I was traveling on vacation I would go to an elder or the Pastor and ask if I could take communion in their church. I told them I was Lutheran. Most of the times, I got a card from my Pastor telling them I was Lutheran. Most of the churches I knew were closed communion only open to other LCMS.

      They have gotten a little more open now.I wouldn't worry about you not believing in the age of the earth, that isn't important to salvation. You need to love and worship God. Believe that Christ saves you. Most people don't know the entire Bible. They don't all agree on things. You should get a catechism, you will learn what you should believe if you want to take communion. Anyway, your Pastor told you that you can take communion so don't worry about it. Praise God and take it.
      Ok, thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        My husband thinks that it is better to say "close" communion, as in "close' to you. However, it is up to the pastor of individual churches if non-LCMS people are allowed to partake of Holy Communion at that church. The "close" part is NOT elitism, but an effort to be true to Scripture and protect non-members spiritually. But again, it is up to the individual pastor and congregation. In our church, visitors who are not LCMS members are always asked to speak to the pastor or an elder before services, about partaking of HC with us. If their beliefs about it are different, they cannot partake, but can still go to the altar and receive a blessing from the Pastor.
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
        "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          My husband thinks that it is better to say "close" communion, as in "close' to you. However, it is up to the pastor of individual churches if non-LCMS people are allowed to partake of Holy Communion at that church. The "close" part is NOT elitism, but an effort to be true to Scripture and protect non-members spiritually. But again, it is up to the individual pastor and congregation. In our church, visitors who are not LCMS members are always asked to speak to the pastor or an elder before services, about partaking of HC with us. If their beliefs about it are different, they cannot partake, but can still go to the altar and receive a blessing from the Pastor.
          Thanks. That explains why the pastor ok’d my receiving Communion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Faith1960 View Post
            Can I take Communion there?
            Sure!! They'll never know the difference, and just because THEY may see "Communion" as a "Sacramental thing", doesn't mean that it is ACTUALLY anything more than a church ordinance, which is generally done for the wrong reasons anyway. The "Lord's Body" that we're supposed to "Discern" is the Congregation of Born Again Christians who ARE the "Lord's Body" on earth.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

              Sure!! They'll never know the difference, and just because THEY may see "Communion" as a "Sacramental thing", doesn't mean that it is ACTUALLY anything more than a church ordinance, which is generally done for the wrong reasons anyway. The "Lord's Body" that we're supposed to "Discern" is the Congregation of Born Again Christians who ARE the "Lord's Body" on earth.
              She can take it Bob, I'm sure the Pastor would tell you no.
              Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

              “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
              but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther


              Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Faith1960 View Post

                Thanks. That explains why the pastor ok’d my receiving Communion.
                Our Communion statement is in our church bulletins. I will bring it home and put it on here for you.
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                  Sure!! They'll never know the difference, and just because THEY may see "Communion" as a "Sacramental thing", doesn't mean that it is ACTUALLY anything more than a church ordinance, which is generally done for the wrong reasons anyway. The "Lord's Body" that we're supposed to "Discern" is the Congregation of Born Again Christians who ARE the "Lord's Body" on earth.
                  "Body" does not always mean the church in Paul's epistles. It depends upon the context. Here it is:

                  1 Cor. 1:11, NIV:

                  For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

                  27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.
                  Jesus called the bread His body and the wine His blood. So,partaking in an unworthy manner is sinning against the body AND blood of the Lord. Paul did not mean against the church and Jesus's blood, but against HIS body and blood. Saying body means church here makes no real sense. ""For those who eat and drink without discerning the church of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves..."
                  "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                  "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                  “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                  "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                  "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                    Saying body means church here makes no real sense.
                    The "Church gathered" (Born Again People) IS "His body on earth" and not discerning THEM, is the major issue in the church, which, for the most part DOESN'T doesn't "discern others" as "Jesus Body" beyond saying empty platitudes about it.

                    When the Visible Church of Ephesians 4 becomes a reality, THEN Jesus' words will have been fulfilled.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                      The "Church gathered" (Born Again People) IS "His body on earth" and not discerning THEM, is the major issue in the church, which, for the most part DOESN'T doesn't "discern others" as "Jesus Body" beyond saying empty platitudes about it.

                      When the Visible Church of Ephesians 4 becomes a reality, THEN Jesus' words will have been fulfilled.
                      The way to reach a right understanding of Scripture is to read it according to its God given perfect immediate context. The Apostle just recounted the night in which the Lord was betrayed, the night in which He defined the body and bread.

                      He immediately follows that with whoever eats and drinks in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. There is no transition to an other body and an other blood of the Lord.

                      The bottom line is the interpretation you offer is illogical and false as it attempts to cut and paste out of context ideas into that section of Scripture.
                      Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

                      Peace,
                      BJ -Bear
                      VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                      WELS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

                        The way to reach a right understanding of Scripture is to read it according to its God given perfect immediate context. The Apostle just recounted the night in which the Lord was betrayed, the night in which He defined the body and bread.

                        He immediately follows that with whoever eats and drinks in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. There is no transition to an other body and an other blood of the Lord.

                        The bottom line is the interpretation you offer is illogical and false as it attempts to cut and paste out of context ideas into that section of Scripture.
                        SO you don't accept that YOU are of the Body of Christ, then.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                          The "Church gathered" (Born Again People) IS "His body on earth" and not discerning THEM, is the major issue in the church, which, for the most part DOESN'T doesn't "discern others" as "Jesus Body" beyond saying empty platitudes about it.

                          When the Visible Church of Ephesians 4 becomes a reality, THEN Jesus' words will have been fulfilled.
                          How do you know who is and who isn't born again? I believe and have been baptized but have been damned to hell many times with no proof at all.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                            SO you don't accept that YOU are of the Body of Christ, then.
                            How do you explain the body of believers is the body spoken of in regards to the Lord's supper in light of John 6 and 1 Cor 11?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                              SO you don't accept that YOU are of the Body of Christ, then.
                              Sure he does. I am part of the body of Christ, i.e., the church, as well. Beej is just saying that the body of believers is not what Paul was talking about in this particular instance. And he is correct.
                              "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                              "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                              “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                              "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                              "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X