Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Peace be with you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace be with you.

Peace be with you.

What is the relationship, if any (I think there is), between Jesus telling his disciples peace be with you and justification?

Thanks,
    Nic
    1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
    1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Well I think He meant we have peace with God, since our relationship with Him has been restored by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
      Well I think He meant we have peace with God, since our relationship with Him has been restored by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.
      Hi Bonnie, thank you for your reply. I agree. Romans expresses the relationship between having been justified and having peace.

​​​​​​
      Romans 4:24-5:2
      It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification. Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
      I suppose I'm sometimes alone and, or late, if not very late to the party, but when I've read:
      John 14:27
      Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid,
      I understood this as a greeting of reassurance and comfort yet haven't read it as Jesus telling us us about the chief doctrine of faith.
      I suppose I'm reading it today as, we are justified by him and because of him. Or maybe, justification I leave with you, my justification I give you. Then it's summarily echoed as often scripture does, in the former of reassurance and a reminder,
      Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
      Why? Because we have his peace given to us by him. We have his justification.
      ​​​​​​Anyway, that's more or less what I was wanting to express and, or explore a bit.
      It's justification without using the term justification.
      Thanks again for your response.

Nic

​​​​
      1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
      1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

You are most welcome, my dear brother in Christ Jesus. We have peace with God because we ARE justified in Christ Jesus. He is the propitiation for all our sins, which has reconciled us to the Father. We need no longer fear the consequences for our sins, for Jesus paid for them completely on the cross.

When Jesus said that about peace in John 14, that was right before He was arrested and put to death. He knew that they were going to be tried as never before. Most of them still just did NOT 'get it" but thought He was talking in parables, for the most part. So, He was encouraging them and giving them HIS peace, not the kind the world gives which isn't worthy much, but HIS peace, which is better than any other kind.
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Well, as someone late to this party I say +1.
          Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
          BJ -Bear
          VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
          WELS

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
            Well, as someone late to this party I say +1.
            Thanks BJ and hello there, somethings when reading the gospel in the narrow sense esp. when I see some things as new, I get as giddy as a child. Which reminds me, I once heard a pastor say the gospel (narrow sense) should always surprise us. I take it this would include the good news as being new in some way or another.

Nic

​​​
            Last edited by Nic; 08-02-19, 01:58 AM.

Comment

You are most welcome, my dear brother in Christ Jesus. We have peace with God because we ARE justified in Christ Jesus. He is the propitiation for all our sins, which has reconciled us to the Father. We need no longer fear the consequences for our sins, for Jesus paid for them completely on the cross.

When Jesus said that about peace in John 14, that was right before He was arrested and put to death. He knew that they were going to be tried as never before. Most of them still just did NOT 'get it" but thought He was talking in parables, for the most part. So, He was encouraging them and giving them HIS peace, not the kind the world gives which isn't worthy much, but HIS peace, which is better than any other kind.
              Hi Bonnie
              What lovely and sweet greeting my dear sister in Christ! What you write here affirms what I'm loving about the greeting "Peace be with you," not only as initially reference when Christ spoke it but also I see more of the same assurance coming through in Paul's greetings when he expresses peace. The first one I randomly selected for highlighting such an example was, Philemon 3
              Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
              Doesn't that alone just comfort you? It serves to remind us of God's being The source of grace and peace. It reminds me of his promises, his love, his atoning work, all FOR OUR BENEFIT! Or as BJ often cites, "While we were sinners, Christ died FOR US!" Dr. Rosenbladt agrees the emphasis is on the phrase "FOR US!" I especially love what you wrote above in your first paragraph. Your following close is super nice for aiding additional understanding too!

Nic
              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post
                Hi Bonnie
                What lovely and sweet greeting my dear sister in Christ! What you write here affirms what I'm loving about the greeting "Peace be with you," not only as initially reference when Christ spoke it but also I see more of the same assurance coming through in Paul's greetings when he expresses peace. The first one I randomly selected for highlighting such an example was, Philemon 3
                Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
                Doesn't that alone just comfort you? It serves to remind us of God's being The source of grace and peace. It reminds me of his promises, his love, his atoning work, all FOR OUR BENEFIT! Or as BJ often cites, "While we were sinners, Christ died FOR US!" Dr. Rosenbladt agrees the emphasis is on the phrase "FOR US!" I especially love what you wrote above in your first paragraph. Your following close is super nice for aiding additional understanding too!

Nic
                ​​​​
                I thought I wrote this the first day but I don't see it here so something must have gone wrong.

Jesus probably said Shalom Aleichem That is what it means. Jews and Muslims have been saying that for mileniums.
                Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Thanks BJ and hello there, somethings when reading the gospel in the narrow sense esp. when I see some things as new, I get as giddy as a child. Which reminds me, I once heard a pastor say the gospel (narrow sense) should always surprise us. I take it this would include the good news as being new in some way or another.

Nic

​​​
                  I hear you, I am the same way especially when sharing the gospel with someone feeling the weight of their sin and they are filled with joy and peace. It will be quite the event and life when we share this giddiness together with the Lord and the rest of the saints.
                  Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
                  BJ -Bear
                  VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                  WELS

Comment

Nic

​​​
                    I remember the rush of adrenaline I felt, when I read reread Romans 4:1-4, and especially the part where he say that the "righteous requirements of the Law are fulfilled in us, when we walk NOT in the flesh, but in the SPIRIT." In other words, when we walk in faith by the indwelling HS. Then all of the law of God is fulfilled in us, not by works, but by our faith in the One Who loves us and gave His life for us as the propotiation for our sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post

I thought I wrote this the first day but I don't see it here so something must have gone wrong.

Jesus probably said Shalom Aleichem That is what it means. Jews and Muslims have been saying that for mileniums.
                      Hi Thekla,
                      That's too funny, I didn't appreciate Paul's greeting in the same appreciable way til a few days in. I started to write that response and ran out of time so it took a few log in sessions to make it happen.

Your second paragraph escapes me, what does it mean? (Esp.Shalom Aleichem)

Thanks!

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

I hear you, I am the same way especially when sharing the gospel with someone feeling the weight of their sin and they are filled with joy and peace. It will be quite the event and life when we share this giddiness together with the Lord and the rest of the saints.
                        Amen!
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I remember the rush of adrenaline I felt, when I read reread Romans 4:1-4, and especially the part where he say that the "righteous requirements of the Law are fulfilled in us, when we walk NOT in the flesh, but in the SPIRIT." In other words, when we walk in faith by the indwelling HS. Then all of the law of God is fulfilled in us, not by works, but by our faith in the One Who loves us and gave His life for us as the propotiation for our sins.
                          Yes that still brings out the adrenaline in me. LOL
                          BJ and I had a chat about the cartoon character Mr. MaGoo. He told me he appreciated the cartoon as well and used it as am example of how Christian's are to walk by faith and not by sight.

Nic

Comment

Hi Thekla,
                            That's too funny, I didn't appreciate Paul's greeting in the same appreciable way til a few days in. I started to write that response and ran out of time so it took a few log in sessions to make it happen.

Your second paragraph escapes me, what does it mean? (Esp.Shalom Aleichem)

Thanks!

Nic
                            Shalom Alechem means, Peace be with you.
                            Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                            but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Hi Thekla, I knew about the word Shalom, but the capitalization of the second word left me wondering, thanks for clearing that up!

Nic

Comment

Working...
                              X