Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

"Your faith has saved you..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Your faith has saved you..."

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    But you DID make the erroneous statement that ONLY grace saves us--not works, and NOT FAITH. Yet Jesus proves you wrong in Luke 7:50: "You FAITH has saved you. Go in peace." Was Jesus wrong? Did He lie? Should I believe Jesus or YOU?
    Do Lutherans believe our faith saves us--or does God's grace save us?

IOW--if we believe all the "save" scriptures to mean eternal life--do they also believe eternal life is given to one's own self--and those who hear us?

1 Timothy 4:16--- King James Version (KJV)
    16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

We believe Jesus and what He said in Luke 7:50....why don't YOU?
    Was Jesus wrong? Lying? What?

What does "believe" mean, dberrie, as when Paul told the Philippian jailer, when he asked what he must do to be saved? Remember? "BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your whole household."

"I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

We believe Jesus and what He said in Luke 7:50....why don't YOU?
      Then please explain how one is saved independent of God's grace.(by faith) If it's by faith--then we don't need His grace. And since it was before Jesus' Atonement--how was mankind to be saved prior to the Atonement?

Also--if we are to believe the Biblical witness--are you claiming you believe one saves their own selves?

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Was Paul wrong? Was he lying? Why don't you believe Paul?

Bonnie--one has to have an explanation to that, or dismiss them altogether as an unreliable witness.

So--what is your explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Then please explain how one is saved independent of God's grace.(by faith) If it's by faith--then we don't need His grace. And since it was before Jesus' Atonement--how was mankind to be saved prior to the Atonement?

Also--if we are to believe the Biblical witness--are you claiming you believe one saves their own selves?

Was Paul wrong? Was he lying? Why don't you believe Paul?

Bonnie--one has to have an explanation to that, or dismiss them altogether as an unreliable witness.

So--what is your explanation?

I asked you first. Please just answer my simple question about Luke 7:50: was Jesus WRONG? Was Jesus LYING? Yes or no, dberrie.

I am waiting.
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Do Lutherans believe our faith saves us--or does God's grace save us?
          Faith in that passage, Luke 7:50, is a noun. What is her faith? Your question rests on a false dichotomy.
          Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
          BJ -Bear
          VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
          WELS

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
            Faith in that passage, Luke 7:50, is a noun. What is her faith? Your question rests on a false dichotomy.
            It's a question of what Lutherans believe saves one unto eternal life.

Is it our faith--or God's grace--or something else?

Comment

I asked you first.
              Bonnie--it's my OP.

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post Do Lutherans believe our faith saves us--or does God's grace save us?
              Care to engage the OP question?

Comment

Bonnie--it's my OP.

Care to engage the OP question?
                So what? You don't OWN this thread or this website.

Now kindly answer my question as it is certainly pertinent to this thread, which YOU started, about Luke 7:50. So therefore, you have to put up with questions about it.

Jesus told the woman that her FAITH had saved her. Yet you claim that we are saved ONLY by grace and NOT by faith OR works. Yet Jesus here tells the woman her FAITH had saved her. Therefore ,i ask you, was Jesus lying? Was He just plain wrong?

Answer this question, dberrie. it is simple enough and not an essay question...

And one more question: should I believe what YOU say--or Jesus Christ Himself and what HE says?

Comment

So what? You don't OWN this thread or this website.
                  It's still my thread--and the question I posed for Lutherans was this one:

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post Do Lutherans believe our faith saves us--or does God's grace save us?
                  Bonnie--I believe it to be a fair question, and it is my thread.

Comment

It's still my thread--and the question I posed for Lutherans was this one:

Bonnie--I believe it to be a fair question, and it is my thread.
                    I said we believe what Jesus told the woman in Luke 7:50. Do YOU?

WE also believe Paul in Eph. 2:8-9. And I have also stated that faith and grace are two sides to the same coin and BOTH are gifts of God, as per Eph. 2:8-9. .

Also, all over the NT it says when we BELIEVE in Jesus Christ, we are saved. What does 'believe in" mean? It means "trust, have confidence in, have FAITH IN."

Now, I ask YOU MY faith question, since you wrote elsewhere that ONLY grace saves us and not faith or works: Was Jesus mistaken in what He told the woman? Or was He lying?

I think THAT is a fair question.

Comment

I said we believe what Jesus told the woman in Luke 7:50. Do YOU?

WE also believe Paul in Eph. 2:8-9. And I have also stated that faith and grace are two sides to the same coin and BOTH are gifts of God, as per Eph. 2:8-9. .
                      My question did not argue about gifts--but what saves one.

Do you believe it is our faith which saves--or God's grace?

IOW--if one believes it is one's faith which saves--then why would they need God's grace?

Comment

It's a question of what Lutherans believe saves one unto eternal life.

Is it our faith--or God's grace--or something else?
                        Read Luke 7:36-50. Your question makes no sense in light of what is written there. After you've read it then answer according to what is written there the question of what is her faith?

Peace,
                        BJ -Bear
                        WELS

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
                          Read Luke 7:36-50. Your question makes no sense in light of what is written there. After you've read it then answer according to what is written there the question of what is her faith?
                          The question being--does one believe the woman is saved by her faith--or God's grace?

If she is saved by her faith--then she does not need God's grace to be saved--if "saved" means she received eternal life.

So--does one also save their own selves?

Do husbands save their wives?

1 Corinthians 7:16---King James Version (KJV)
                          16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether [B]thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Did Paul have the power to save people?

1 Corinthians 9:22---King James Version (KJV)
                          22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Are women saved because they bear children?(that would really render faith alone theology false!!!)

1 Timothy 2:15---King James Version (KJV)
                          15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Either "saved" there is in another meaning other than receiving eternal life---or we really don't need God to save us.

Comment

The question being--does one believe the woman is saved by her faith--or God's grace?
                            Repeating the same nonsensical question doesn't make it any less nonsensical.

"Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
                            Read Luke 7:36-50. Your question makes no sense in light of what is written there. After you've read it then answer according to what is written there the question of what is her faith?"

Peace,
                            BJ -Bear
                            WELS

Comment

If she is saved by her faith--then she does not need God's grace to be saved--if "saved" means she received eternal life.

So--does one also save their own selves?

Do husbands save their wives?

1 Corinthians 7:16---King James Version (KJV)
                              16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether [B]thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Did Paul have the power to save people?

1 Corinthians 9:22---King James Version (KJV)
                              22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Are women saved because they bear children?(that would really render faith alone theology false!!!)

1 Timothy 2:15---King James Version (KJV)
                              15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Either "saved" there is in another meaning other than receiving eternal life---or we really don't need God to save us.

Your bible verses have nothing to do with Luke 7:50. They are just a diversionary tactic.

Now--What did JESUS actually tell the woman?

"Your FAITH HAS SAVED YOU; go in peace."

Deny the clear words of Scripture all you want to, but this is what Jesus said. Should we believe YOU or Jesus Christ Himself?

Comment

Working...
                              X