Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Lutheran theology 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutheran theology 2

Matthew 25:14-30---- King James Version (KJV)

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I have a question for Lutherans:

Were the servants saved at the point the lord gave them His gifts, IE--"who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods."

What is Lutheran theology on that point?

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Were the servants saved at the point the lord gave them His gifts, IE--"who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods."

It is Lutheran theology. We are God's servants.
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
      It is Lutheran theology. We are God's servants.
      Hi Thekla:

The question was--are those servants whom the lord gave his gifts to in verse 14---saved?

Comment

Hi Thekla:

The question was--are those servants whom the lord gave his gifts to in verse 14---saved?
        Yes

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
        but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Comment

It is a parable spoken to those under the law. A parable has a main point. What is it? Anything else is Scripture twisting as it is not the point the Speaker intended to convey.
          Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
          BJ -Bear
          VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
          WELS

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

It is a parable spoken to those under the law. A parable has a main point. What is it? Anything else is Scripture twisting as it is not the point the Speaker intended to convey.
            I think this parable would be easy to compare to Satan, St. Peter, and Judas

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
              It is a parable spoken to those under the law.
              That's who the gospel primarily went to in the early church.

A parable has a main point. What is it?
              That God will judge His servants in accordance with what they do with His gifts--and that for the "joy of thy lord"--or "outer darkness".

How is that any different than His testimony elsewhere?

John 5:28-29 ---King James Version (KJV)
              28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
              29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Matthew 16:27 ---King James Version (KJV)

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Comment

Yes
                Thanks, Thekla.

That indicates those saved servants will still be judged in accordance with what they do with His gifts--and given their reward accordingly.

Comment

Thanks, Thekla.

That indicates those saved servants will still be judged in accordance with what they do with His gifts--and given their reward accordingly.
                  Lutherans believe that we will be rewarded for doing good works. I do not think that we think we agree on what you mean my judged. They were saved. #3 was not sent to hell because he failed to do good works. While he believed in God he did not believe rightly. see this section of your parable.

This is very much like Adam in the book of Genesis.

3: 12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

You see both blamed God for their sin, not themselves.

Judas who took money to help Jesus be caught by the Jews, was his follower. Instead of asking Christ to forgive him, he committed suicide. I pray that as he hung on the tree he confessed his sin, asked Christ to forgive him and is now in heaven.

Peter who denied knowing Jesus was his follower. Peter confessed his sin, told Christ that he loved him and was made the leader of the Christian church.

So, I don't think we take the same meaning from this parable.

Comment

Lutherans believe that we will be rewarded for doing good works.
                    To be sure--not to enter into "the joy of thy lord".

Lutherans believe one is rewarded in salvation---not for salvation.

IOW--Lutherans exclude all acts of obedience to Jesus Christ in obtaining salvation. They believe it is grace through a faith without works.

Comment

To be sure--not to enter into "the joy of thy lord".

Lutherans believe one is rewarded in salvation---not for salvation.

IOW--Lutherans exclude all acts of obedience to Jesus Christ in obtaining salvation. They believe it is grace through a faith without works.
                      Wow! Yes, that is what we believe! and you do as well. You won't say you do, but several times you have said that you must confess your sins and be forgiven by God. So your good works don't save you your faith in Christ does. Your seeking his forgiveness does. Swearing at someone and then going out and giving money to a poor person doesn't save you with good works does it?

Comment

Wow! Yes, that is what we believe!
                        So--your claim is Lutherans believe His servants are judged in accordance with what they do with the gifts God gives them--and that to enter into the "joy of thy Lord"--or "outer darkness"?

Comment

So--your claim is Lutherans believe His servants are judged in accordance with what they do with the gifts God gives them--and that to enter into the "joy of thy Lord"--or "outer darkness"?
                          I don't understand this question. My statement is very clear.

Comment

I don't understand this question. My statement is very clear.

Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post It is a parable spoken to those under the law.
                              That's who the gospel primarily went to in the early church.

A parable has a main point. What is it?
                              That God will judge His servants in accordance with what they do with His gifts--and that for the "joy of thy lord"--or "outer darkness".

How is that any different than His testimony elsewhere?

John 5:28-29 ---King James Version (KJV)
                              28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
                              29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Matthew 16:27 ---King James Version (KJV)

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Bump for BJ

Comment

Working...
                              X