Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

LCMS, Creationism and Young Earth Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCMS, Creationism and Young Earth Again

I’ve read a LOT about this subject and I’m still stuck. I know my “new church” promotes a young earth and Genesis literally. My husband told me that if I believe this he’d consider myself as being “misguided.” I don’t know what else I can do to abandon my old earth beliefs. Can anyone help?

The real question is whether you believe that the story of creation in the Bible is true or if it is only a story explaining to us that God created everything in the universe. That is what is important, that God created the world.

John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

This tells us that Jesus existed before he was born and created the universe. Do you believe that?

If you believe this then don't worry about how you believe Genesis. Enjoy studying what the scientists write, but realize that since the beginning of time, science has learned more things and has changed their beliefs. The world isn't flat, we don't float away because of gravity, The earth circles the sun and not vice versa.

Trust our Lord so that in time you will learn what is the truth.
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1960 View Post
      I’ve read a LOT about this subject and I’m still stuck. I know my “new church” promotes a young earth and Genesis literally. My husband told me that if I believe this he’d consider myself as being “misguided.” I don’t know what else I can do to abandon my old earth beliefs. Can anyone help?
      Learn what the YEC's have to say. Well, first, believe your bible.

2 quick ones..

A fossilized dinosaur was removed from the Badlands..from a layer of rock which is supposed to be 65+ MY's old. They discovered soft dinosaur biomaterial inside of the fossilized bones. The question the YEC ask...How did it survive for over 65+ MY's?

Coal has been carbon dated. Carbon 14 has a halflife of 5,730 years. considering coal is supposed to be 360 million to 290 million years old..why is there still carbon 14 in it?

When you look at the flood account, Noahs flood buried the dinosaurs and vegetation which became dinosaur fossils and coal.

The 2 reasons I presented here are an example of a much longer list. There is also much to say on those two examples and I gave you a short and sweet reply.

Visit sites such as Answers in Genesis, Creation.com and Creation Research Society.

Comment

Intelligent design also speaks loudly....though it doesn't answer how old the earth is, it shows intelligence was required to make us.

here's a short video...3 1/2 mins which shows the complexity of a cell. One simply has to ask, how did the process discussed in the video arrive by a process which contains chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
          The real question is whether you believe that the story of creation in the Bible is true or if it is only a story explaining to us that God created everything in the universe. That is what is important, that God created the world.

John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

This tells us that Jesus existed before he was born and created the universe. Do you believe that?

If you believe this then don't worry about how you believe Genesis. Enjoy studying what the scientists write, but realize that since the beginning of time, science has learned more things and has changed their beliefs. The world isn't flat, we don't float away because of gravity, The earth circles the sun and not vice versa.

Trust our Lord so that in time you will learn what is the truth.
          I believe God created everything, just not 6000 years ago and maybe not at full maturity, in completeness.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post

Learn what the YEC's have to say. Well, first, believe your bible.

2 quick ones..

A fossilized dinosaur was removed from the Badlands..from a layer of rock which is supposed to be 65+ MY's old. They discovered soft dinosaur biomaterial inside of the fossilized bones. The question the YEC ask...How did it survive for over 65+ MY's?

Coal has been carbon dated. Carbon 14 has a halflife of 5,730 years. considering coal is supposed to be 360 million to 290 million years old..why is there still carbon 14 in it?

When you look at the flood account, Noahs flood buried the dinosaurs and vegetation which became dinosaur fossils and coal.

The 2 reasons I presented here are an example of a much longer list. There is also much to say on those two examples and I gave you a short and sweet reply.

Visit sites such as Answers in Genesis, Creation.com and Creation Research Society.
            I have been, and studying this like a madwoman. I really value my husbands opinion and that of my daughter (though she doesn’t know I’m so fixated on this topic), and wish he and I were on the same page. I think that if I’d become a creationist, he’d think I lost my mind.

Comment

I have been, and studying this like a madwoman. I really value my husbands opinion and that of my daughter (though she doesn’t know I’m so fixated on this topic), and wish he and I were on the same page. I think that if I’d become a creationist, he’d think I lost my mind.
              If God used evolution to make man as many Thiestic Evolutionist suggest...then the bible is wrong where it say .....Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned Romans 5:12

1 man brought about sin...Evolution required a popuation of proto-humans to sin. The Thiestic Evolutionist must diverge from the bible and tell us mankind didn't fall ecause of an act of disobedience. In fact they can't even tell how or why mankind fell.

Comment

Hi! What do you consider to be the strongest reason or argument against a relatively recent creation?
                Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
                BJ -Bear
                VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                WELS

Comment

I believe God created everything, just not 6000 years ago and maybe not at full maturity, in completeness.
                  PERSONALLY I've always held to the "Gap Theory' as a knee-jerk operational hypothesis - which in a nutshell, assumes a chronological "Gap" between Gen 1:1, and Gen 1:2. It then goes on to postulate that there were other things (other creations) occurring on earth (like the dinosaur kingdom, etc.) during that undefined time period, which were erased through judgemental action by God leaving the earth in a condition of "Tohu" (formless), and "Bohu" empty, before the "Adamic Creation" detailed starting in Gen 1:2 came along.

The "Creation Science" folks go to great lengths to "fit" everything we know about Earth into 6000 years. I agree that an Infinitely powerful God could have carried out the whole thing in 144 hours if He chose to. Personally, I couldn't care less as to the actual Methodology of Creation. it's unimportant, and I'll ask later. For the time being, I'll stick with "OEC", and the "Gap" theory.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

Hi! What do you consider to be the strongest reason or argument against a relatively recent creation?
                    The opinions of really intelligent, well respected scientists who are in the majority. I once found some Wiki article (I know, not trustworthy) that listed all the scientists who are creationists, their field of expertise etc. The article made virtually all those listed as being a joke or that their fields were unrelated to the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post

Yes, we learned that last week in a class I’m taking on Genesis, at the LCMS church I keep talking about.

Comment

Are your husband and daughter Christians?

If they are, then they should believe the Bible above unsaved, godless, evolutionist scientists, who have an axe to grind and who do not want to be accountable to God.

If they are not, then evolutionism probably has a hold on them, which reason and facts, on their own, will not shake.

Having said the above, there are MANY reasons why molecules to man evolution is scientifically IMPOSSIBLE.

1) There is no mechanism by which the FIRST life could have formed naturally.

2) There is no mechanism for the MASSIVE increases in genetic information that would be required supposedly to change from one kind of creature to another. (N.B. natural selection REDUCES the pool of genetic information and mutations are from DAMAGED genes that are only beneficial in special cases where the damage is useful, like blind fish in a cave without light).

3) Creation is DETERIORATING genetically (as well as all other ways). If the Earth were the millions of years old required by evolution, then we would all be so mutated that none of us could survive.

4) Many parts of man and animals are irreducibly complex. They CANNOT have been produced by chance mutations and natural selection, because the alleged previous, useless, structures would not be selected for.

etc, etc.

There are similarly insurmountable difficulties with the so-called "Big Bang".
                        John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Comment

Originally posted by David1701 View Post

Are your husband and daughter Christians?

If they are, then they should believe the Bible above unsaved, godless, evolutionist scientists, who have an axe to grind and who do not want to be accountable to God.

If they are not, then evolutionism probably has a hold on them, which reason and facts, on their own, will not shake.

Having said the above, there are MANY reasons why molecules to man evolution is scientifically IMPOSSIBLE.

1) There is no mechanism by which the FIRST life could have formed naturally.

2) There is no mechanism for the MASSIVE increases in genetic information that would be required supposedly to change from one kind of creature to another. (N.B. natural selection REDUCES the pool of genetic information and mutations are from DAMAGED genes that are only beneficial in special cases where the damage is useful, like blind fish in a cave without light).

3) Creation is DETERIORATING genetically (as well as all other ways). If the Earth were the millions of years old required by evolution, then we would all be so mutated that none of us could survive.

4) Many parts of man and animals are irreducibly complex. They CANNOT have been produced by chance mutations and natural selection, because the alleged previous, useless, structures would not be selected for.

etc, etc.

There are similarly insurmountable difficulties with the so-called "Big Bang".
                          My husband considers himself Christian but doesn’t go to church. My daughter became Catholic about three years ago.

Comment

My husband considers himself Christian but doesn’t go to church. My daughter became Catholic about three years ago.
                            Roman Catholicism is not Christianity. This is a large topic but the office of the so-called "Pope" (a blasphemous title meaning "Father") is the anti-Christ. He even has a title passed down from the Roman Caesars "Pontifex Maximus", another blasphemous title, meaning "Greatest Bridge-builder" (i.e. between God and man). Drunk with the blood of the saints (e.g. the Inquisition), the organisation is rich beyond belief, prides itself on changing God's ways, demands that everyone accept the primacy of the "Pope", claims that even atheists can be saved, encourages idolatry (worship of a wafer) and the placing of tradition above the Bible, etc, etc.

Pray for your daughter to be delivered from this evil system!

Rev. 18:4 (HCSB) Then I heard another voice from heaven: Come out of her, My people, so that you will not share in her sins or receive any of her plagues.

Many people consider themselves to be Christians, but only those who have been born of God really are. These ones have a deep love for the Lord Jesus Christ and want to please him in their daily lives (albeit imperfectly). Their lives have been transformed, by the power of God, from what they were before. They also want to meet together with other Christians, to worship the Lord, hear godly sermons and fellowship with their brothers and sisters in Christ.
                            John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Comment

Originally posted by David1701 View Post

Roman Catholicism is not Christianity. This is a large topic but the office of the so-called "Pope" (a blasphemous title meaning "Father") is the anti-Christ. He even has a title passed down from the Roman Caesars "Pontifex Maximus", another blasphemous title, meaning "Greatest Bridge-builder" (i.e. between God and man). Drunk with the blood of the saints (e.g. the Inquisition), the organisation is rich beyond belief, prides itself on changing God's ways, demands that everyone accept the primacy of the "Pope", claims that even atheists can be saved, encourages idolatry (worship of a wafer) and the placing of tradition above the Bible, etc, etc.

Pray for your daughter to be delivered from this evil system!

Rev. 18:4 (HCSB) Then I heard another voice from heaven: Come out of her, My people, so that you will not share in her sins or receive any of her plagues.

Many people consider themselves to be Christians, but only those who have been born of God really are. These ones have a deep love for the Lord Jesus Christ and want to please him in their daily lives (albeit imperfectly). Their lives have been transformed, by the power of God, from what they were before. They also want to meet together with other Christians, to worship the Lord, hear godly sermons and fellowship with their brothers and sisters in Christ.
                              Save that speech for the Catholicism sub forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X