Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

is Jesus divine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Jesus divine?

JohnR/highrigger
    is Jesus divine?
    iow
    Is Jesus the Christ the pre-existent, 2nd Person of the Trinity, God -incarnate?
    One of the ekklēsia

Originally posted by tester View Post
    JohnR/highrigger
    is Jesus divine?
    iow
    Is Jesus the Christ the pre-existent, 2nd Person of the Trinity, God -incarnate?
    Yes - next QUestion???

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Yes - next QUestion???
      watch for JohnR's answer
      One of the ekklēsia

Comment

watch for JohnR's answer
        His answer will change nothing.

Comment

His answer will change nothing.
          no: but it will show all who we are dealing with: his Biblical understanding, and his credibility.
          If JohnR is wrong about about who Jesus is: does any thing else he says about Scripture matter?
          One of the ekklēsia

Comment

no: but it will show all who we are dealing with: his Biblical understanding, and his credibility.
            If JohnR is wrong about about who Jesus is: does any thing else he says about Scripture matter?
            That's a downright FOUNDATIONAL issue for sure.

Comment

That's a downright FOUNDATIONAL issue for sure.
              ...and if JohnR is in a leadership/teaching position within his UMC...then it is also an indictment against his church
              One of the ekklēsia

Comment

For sure some segments of the UMC have left their Orthodox beliefs far back in the dust.

Comment

...and if JohnR is in a leadership/teaching position within his UMC...then it is also an indictment against his church
                  I have to say that in my experience I have not run into a single Methodist, other than JohnR I suppose, who took the position that Jesus is not divine. The UMC as a church does espouse an orthodox view of the Trinity.
                  "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

JohnR/highrigger
                    is Jesus divine?
                    iow
                    Yes to all of those things .Do YOU disbelieve any of them? If you do not believe Jesus, you are NOT A CHRISTIAN.
                    God's Word (Scripture) will convince me. YOUR argument is your own.

I want to be so full of Jesus that if a mosquito bites me, he will fly away singing 'there's power in the blood. . .' (author unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Morefish View Post

Yes to all of those things .Do YOU disbelieve any of them? If you do not believe Jesus, you are NOT A CHRISTIAN.
                      i believe: JohnR does not, yet claims he is a Christian
                      One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Interesting. I have not run across a direct quote from John denying the divinity of Jesus, but every time it comes up, he skirts the issue. So I would really like to know from him, his stance on the divinity of Jesus, the Trinity, as well as the resurrection of Jesus.

John, please state your beliefs clearly for us so we know where you stand.
                        Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

from previous threads
                          Is Jesus divine?
                          Originally posted by highrigger View Post

tester,

You need to read a book on the subject. Christ means anointed or messiah or King of the Jews. It does not imply divinity. Jesus never claimed to be divine and neither does the entire NT. What the NT does teach however is that God was in Jesus Christ reconciling the World to Himself. This is known as the doctrine of the Incarnation. Jesus Christ is also taken in the Nicene Council to be a persona of the Trinity. This means that the nature of God can be known in the life of Jesus as in Col 1:15, "Jesus is the image of the Unseen God."

So your question can be answered in that manner. If you insist on a simply yes or no answer I would have to say that Jesus was not a god. He never said that he was and in fact insisted that He was not.

Certainly to say that Mary is a "mother of God" or a "God bearer" is never taught in the NT and detracts from the humanity of Jesus.

Hope you are satisfied with this answer. I have given it to you before.

JohnR

tester,

Easily explained. My New English Bible says "..what God was, the Word was."
                          Jesus is Gods Word to us. God is Love and the life of Jesus was Love. This simply explains the Incarnation. Paul - "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself." It does not say Jesus is God. That is a Pagan concept never taught in the NT.

JohnR

tester,

Simple to understand that a word represents a thought intended to go from one mind to another.
                          Jesus is Gods thought to us. I could say that my thoughts are me. So it is that Gods thoughts are Him. But he and I express our thoughts through words. It is simply speaking of the Incarnation.

I keep telling you the same thing but you keep coming back with the same argument.
                          Time to call it a day on this discussion. You may believe anything you want and I will do the same. But I will not believe that Mary was a God-Bearer. That is what made Nestorian upset. Me too.

JohnR
                          Last edited by tester; 03-31-18, 12:55 PM.
                          One of the ekklēsia

Comment

from previous threads
                            Is Jesus divine?
                            That made my heart hurt and my eyes hurt reading those words. Thank you for those quotes and confirmation. I was not here back in 2016 when he said those things.

I pray he is not in leadership in his church. I pray that his church has not gone rogue and his particular church community believe this blasphemy.

Hopefully we will here from John, if there needs to be clarification.
                            Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

Originally posted by Peitho View Post

I pray that his church has not gone rogue and his particular church community believe this blasphemy.
                              That poster states that he is Methodist. Based on my experiences, the United Methodist Church does not share those particularly heretical viewpoints of the nature of Our Lord. The Methodists know that Jesus is the Incarnate Second Person of the Trinity and, hence, divine.
                              "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

Working...
                              X