Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

2 major decisions from the UMC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 major decisions from the UMC

First is the plan to soften stand against homosexuality. This, near as I can tell, was not actually voted on, but left until next year (February?) when a special meeting has been set up to come up with a resolution, and probably make a change to the Book of Discipline.
    Personally, regardless of where you may stand on this, I rather suspect that the church will be greatly divided on this, possibly to point of formally and officially splitting.

The second not as many talk about. But in the recent meeting, a constitutional amendment stating God is not Male of Female was only barely defeated. Approx. 100 votes separated the two. (Not exactly sure on the numbers...the article here states 65.5% favored the change, 66.7% said no. Just sayin')

Your thoughts?

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

"That's Nice" Agnes Brown

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Originally posted by dale1257 View Post
    First is the plan to soften stand against homosexuality. This, near as I can tell, was not actually voted on, but left until next year (February?) when a special meeting has been set up to come up with a resolution, and probably make a change to the Book of Discipline.
    Personally, regardless of where you may stand on this, I rather suspect that the church will be greatly divided on this, possibly to point of formally and officially splitting.

The second not as many talk about. But in the recent meeting, a constitutional amendment stating God is not Male of Female was only barely defeated. Approx. 100 votes separated the two. (Not exactly sure on the numbers...the article here states 65.5% favored the change, 66.7% said no. Just sayin')

Your thoughts?
    The article says 66.5% voted in favor of it which means only 33.5% could have voted against it.

It didn't pass because a two-thirds super majority (2/3 is 66.7%) is required to pass.
    "He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:4, NKJV)"

Comment

Your thoughts?
      Update: I just read this AM that the vote will be re-taken due to a mistake in the wording. It seems that it was changed, but the original was on the ballot, and not the revised.
      The amendment that failed to pass on Monday was centered on gender equality, but a sentence "that should not have been included in the amendment was removed by a vote of 746Ė56" was "inadvertently included in the version that was distributed," the denomination said in a statement.
      For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Comment

First is the plan to soften stand against homosexuality.This, near as I can tell, was not actually voted on, but left until next year (February?) when a special meeting has been set up to come up with a resolution, and probably make a change to the Book of Discipline.

Your thoughts?
        Why would a church that claims to be a church of God ignore what God has to say about homosexuality? (For the record, God says that it's sin, period.) We are to love the sinner, but not the sin.

1 Cor 6:9-11
        9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Verse 11 states that "some of you were", which, by implication, means that they had changed. The individual is supposed to change, not the church. Paul plainly stated the qualifications required for holding an official office within the church. There is no evidence that God has "softened" on these requirements. It's a change that should not have even been considered.
        Allen (Unless noted otherwise, Bible quotations are from the 1984 edition of the NIV)

Faith--Sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible.

Comment

There is no evidence that God has "softened" on these requirements. It's a change that should not have even been considered.
          That may be true, however, there are clear indications that the UMC may well 'soften' it's stance, as others have already done. Which will likely lead to a major split, which is what I said to start with.

Comment

That may be true, however, there are clear indications that the UMC may well 'soften' it's stance, as others have already done. Which will likely lead to a major split, which is what I said to start with.

2 Peter 2:1-2
            But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them ó bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.

1 Tim 6:3-5
            If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

Allen (Unless noted otherwise, Bible quotations are from the 1984 edition of the NIV)

Faith--Sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible.

Comment

In regard to this matter of homosexuality, I remember back in the early 1960's my (then) Presbyterian pastor and some elders(?) went to the annual synod. When they returned, the pastor gave a talk about what was decided at the meeting. One of the issues they discussed was about homosexuality. It was decided that it would no longer be considered a sin by the Presbyterian USA council. My pastor was a man of God who was a Bible-believing man. He told us that we owned the church building and the land it was on, and we were leaving the Presbyterian USA organization. My respect for my pastor went up several notches.

Comment

Not an entirely bad thing. Let the sheep be removed from among the goats, and let a smaller but stronger Methodist Church carry the banner.

Comment

Working...
                X