Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

glossolalia language research

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “All Biblical references to “tongues” reference real languages”

Real languages no one understands?

I don’t think you’re getting what I mean –

Yes, Biblical “tongues” are real languages. As far as “real languages no one understands”, you have to look at a given passage in context.

As an example, if I attend a worship service in East Haystack, Alabama two things are going to be evident: one; there’s only going to be so many people at that service (i.e. there will be a finite given amount of people there, say 50) and two; the chances that anyone in East Haystack speaks anything but English is pretty slim to nil. If I start praying aloud in Lithuanian, there’s no one at that service that’s going to understand a bloody word I’m saying. Even though I’m speaking a real language, no one there will understand my “tongue”. That does not mean or imply that no one else understands Lithuanian; just no one at that particular service. So it ends up being a “real language no one understands” (within that given context).

This is what is meant with reference to Biblical tongues being real languages that are not understood by the hearers; the ‘hearers’ at that particular time and place and in that particular situation. As in the example above, it does not imply or assume that the speaker’s language is “unknown” elsewhere; thus, the result (in a given context) is a real language no one understands.

Comment

• Oy, again with the punctuation! This posting program does not seem to like apostrophes; it deleted all of them in the above post. Excuse the punctuation errors - they are not mine.

Comment

• For he who speaks in a tongue
        does not speak to men but to God,
        for no one understands him
        (1 Co 14:2).

Originally posted by Kavik View Post
        “All Biblical references to “tongues” reference real languages”

I don’t think you’re getting what I mean –

Yes, Biblical “tongues” are real languages.
        The Lord Jesus Christ Himself states that NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

EXCEPT YOU and LUKE.
        Now you have my attention.

Who do you think you are to oppose God and His apostle Paul?

Comment

• Again, you're not finishing the sentence......no one understands HIM.

It's pretty straightforward - he understands what he's saying (it's his native language) and so does/will anyone else who speaks his language (call it "language X"). If however, he's at a public worship where no one there happens to speak language X, then "no one understands (him)".

Comment

• For he who speaks in a tongue

Originally posted by Kavik View Post

It's pretty straightforward - he understands what he's saying (it's his native language)
            For he who speaks in a tongue

Comment

Working...
            X