Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Catholic teaching on Miracles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Catholic teaching on Miracles

    "Traditionally understood, a miracle is a supernatural sign or wonder, brought about by God, signifying His glory and the salvation of mankind. As a sign, a miracle is perceived by the senses and makes present the supernatural order, God's governance of nature, and His loving plan of salvation. Miracles are a call to faith."

    "As supernatural wonders, miracles can be authenticated only by those who have a grasp of nature and her normal workings. Scientists can verify that a wondrous event has "no known natural cause." Scientists can also see that miracles do not annul or abolish the laws of nature, but instead go beyond them."

    "Miracles require divine intervention. The merely remarkable, improbable, or in today's parlance "awesome" is not enough to qualify. A true miracle by definition is a supernatural phenomenon."

    "Most miracles are evident to the senses. As signs of God's presence, they must in some sense be perceptible."

    "Miracles will always have as their primary purpose the glorification of God and the calling of people to salvation. The signs worked by Jesus attest to His divine authority and invite belief in Him (cf. Catechism, no. 548). After His Ascension and Pentecost, Christ's disciples worked miracles in the name of Christ, thus giving the people signs of His divinity and proofs that He is who they said He is. In the same way later saints worked miracles to testify to a higher authority and that people are called to His kingdom."

    "Their essential purpose is to indicate that the human person is destined and called to the kingdom of God. These signs therefore confirm in different ages and in the most varied circumstances the truth of the Gospel, and demonstrate the saving power of Christ who does not cease to call people (through the Church) on the path of faith."

    https://www.catholiceducation.org/en...-miracles.html

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mercedes View Post
    "Traditionally understood, a miracle is a supernatural sign or wonder, brought about by God, signifying His glory and the salvation of mankind. As a sign, a miracle is perceived by the senses and makes present the supernatural order, God's governance of nature, and His loving plan of salvation. Miracles are a call to faith."

    "As supernatural wonders, miracles can be authenticated only by those who have a grasp of nature and her normal workings. Scientists can verify that a wondrous event has "no known natural cause." Scientists can also see that miracles do not annul or abolish the laws of nature, but instead go beyond them."

    "Miracles require divine intervention. The merely remarkable, improbable, or in today's parlance "awesome" is not enough to qualify. A true miracle by definition is a supernatural phenomenon."

    "Most miracles are evident to the senses. As signs of God's presence, they must in some sense be perceptible."

    "Miracles will always have as their primary purpose the glorification of God and the calling of people to salvation. The signs worked by Jesus attest to His divine authority and invite belief in Him (cf. Catechism, no. 548). After His Ascension and Pentecost, Christ's disciples worked miracles in the name of Christ, thus giving the people signs of His divinity and proofs that He is who they said He is. In the same way later saints worked miracles to testify to a higher authority and that people are called to His kingdom."

    "Their essential purpose is to indicate that the human person is destined and called to the kingdom of God. These signs therefore confirm in different ages and in the most varied circumstances the truth of the Gospel, and demonstrate the saving power of Christ who does not cease to call people (through the Church) on the path of faith."

    https://www.catholiceducation.org/en...-miracles.html
    OK, So miracles happen without the catholic church involved.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DMBD View Post

      OK, So miracles happen without the catholic church involved.
      How do you observe the charism of miracles in your faith life? What is one miracle that you recognise as a supernatural gift given by God for faith?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mercedes View Post
        As signs of God's presence, they must in some sense be perceptible.
        cough...cough...ahem....except the Catholic Eucharist.

        The "miracle" under the "appearances and accidents" of a non-miracle.

        LOL.

        ...

        "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mercedes View Post

          How do you observe the charism of miracles in your faith life? What is one miracle that you recognise as a supernatural gift given by God for faith?
          Anytime God intervenes for people because of their faith and prayers is a miracle. I don't need some better than thou trying to tell me what a miracle is and what is not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atemi View Post

            cough...cough...ahem....except the Catholic Eucharist.

            The "miracle" under the "appearances and accidents" of a non-miracle.

            LOL.

            ...
            Exactly!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mercedes View Post

              How do you observe the charism of miracles in your faith life? What is one miracle that you recognise as a supernatural gift given by God for faith?
              I think that this is a good example of a miracle ( and it took place at the site where 2 girls claimed to have seen the Blessed Mother 500+ years ago):

              Act of God! Landslide tumbles down Italian mountainside but STOPS yards short of 420-year-old church (SpiritDaily.com)

              Blessings
              Last edited by Philomena; 06-10-18, 05:12 PM.
              May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Philomena View Post

                I think that this is a good example of a miracle ( and it took place at the site where 2 girls claimed to have seen the Blessed Mother 500+ years ago):

                Act of God! Landslide tumbles down Italian mountainside but STOPS yards short of 420-year-old church (SpiritDaily.com)

                Blessings
                "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth [will let], until he be taken out of the way.

                And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

                [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

                And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved
                ." (2Th 2:7-10 KJV)
                Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word. (Ps. 119:41-42)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by boldirishlass View Post

                  [COLOR=#0000CD]"For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth [will let], until he be taken out of the way.

                  And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

                  [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

                  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved[/B]." (2Th 2:7-10 KJV)
                  And what does this have to do with miracles?

                  Here's another one:


                  "Throughout the 1800s, the United States dealt with repeated scourges of Rocky Mountain locusts. They would come and go periodically, but in 1873 they descended with a vengeance upon much of the upper Midwest. Every summer, the grasshoppers hatched from eggs laid the previous year and the plagues started all over again. This went on for four years.


                  The grasshoppers consumed pretty much anything they came into contact with, including crops, fruit, wood, and even clothes. Citizens of the midwest tried to fight back, but the swarms of grasshoppers were so large that humans couldn’t compete with them.

                  In April, 1877, Minnesota governor John Pillsbury enacted a statewide day of prayer, but this still did not dent the grasshoppers. Believing perhaps something more was needed, Father Leo Winter suggested his two Stearns County congregations should petition the Virgin Mary for relief from the grasshoppers. His parishioners agreed, and in July, construction began on a hilltop chapel overlooking Cold Spring.

                  Mysteriously, around the same time that construction began, the swarms of grasshoppers flew away. By the time the church was complete and Masses began, not a single grasshopper could be found. Since the grasshoppers did not remain long enough that summer to lay eggs, they did not return the next year. Furthermore, they did not return any other year and the species went on to become extinct less than 30 years later, making North America the only continent, besides Antarctica, to lack a major locust species." https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/grasshopper-chapel


                  Blessings

                  May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Philomena View Post

                    And what does this have to do with miracles?

                    Here's another one:


                    "Throughout the 1800s, the United States dealt with repeated scourges of Rocky Mountain locusts. They would come and go periodically, but in 1873 they descended with a vengeance upon much of the upper Midwest. Every summer, the grasshoppers hatched from eggs laid the previous year and the plagues started all over again. This went on for four years.


                    The grasshoppers consumed pretty much anything they came into contact with, including crops, fruit, wood, and even clothes. Citizens of the midwest tried to fight back, but the swarms of grasshoppers were so large that humans couldn’t compete with them.

                    In April, 1877, Minnesota governor John Pillsbury enacted a statewide day of prayer, but this still did not dent the grasshoppers. Believing perhaps something more was needed, Father Leo Winter suggested his two Stearns County congregations should petition the Virgin Mary for relief from the grasshoppers. His parishioners agreed, and in July, construction began on a hilltop chapel overlooking Cold Spring.

                    Mysteriously, around the same time that construction began, the swarms of grasshoppers flew away. By the time the church was complete and Masses began, not a single grasshopper could be found. Since the grasshoppers did not remain long enough that summer to lay eggs, they did not return the next year. Furthermore, they did not return any other year and the species went on to become extinct less than 30 years later, making North America the only continent, besides Antarctica, to lack a major locust species." https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/grasshopper-chapel


                    Blessings
                    "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

                    That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness
                    ." (2Th 2:11-12 KJV)
                    Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word. (Ps. 119:41-42)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by boldirishlass View Post

                      "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

                      That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness
                      ." (2Th 2:11-12 KJV)
                      Acts 19:11-12
                      Save Your people, O Lord, and bless Your inheritance. Grant victory to your Church over evil, and protect Your people by Your Cross.
                      [Troparion of the Exaltation of the Precious, Holy and Life-Creating Cross (Byzantine-Ruthenian usage)]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Curious Joe View Post

                        Acts 19:11-12
                        2 Corinthians 12:12; Mark 3:14-15; Acts 2:43; 4:33; 5:12,15.
                        Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word. (Ps. 119:41-42)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by boldirishlass View Post

                          And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

                          That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." (2Th 2:11-12 KJV)
                          John 14:12 I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father.


                          Blessings
                          May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Philomena View Post
                            John 14:12 I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father.
                            Who is the Catholic that performed the landslide "miracle"?
                            Who is the Catholic that performed the grasshopper "miracle"?

                            "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Atemi View Post

                              Who is the Catholic that performed the landslide "miracle"?
                              Who is the Catholic that performed the grasshopper "miracle"?
                              Does it matter? The faithful put their trust in God and He responded. Miracles are for God's glory, not ours.

                              Here's another one for you:

                              GREEN BAY — On Oct. 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed four square miles of the city and killed 250 people. That same night, the storm system that fueled the Chicago fire also spawned the Peshtigo Fire. This series of blazes, firestorms and fire tornadoes destroyed 2,400 square miles — roughly the size of the state of Delaware — and killed 1,500 to 2,500 people.

                              Two people affected by that fire — who later met and shared their stories — were Adele Brise of the Chapel at Robinsonville (now Champion) and Fr. Peter Pernin, a Canadian missionary priest serving as pastor at St. Mary in Peshtigo and Our Lady of Lourdes in Marinette. (Marinette and its neighbor, Menominee, Mich., were also extensively damaged in the fires.)

                              Fires had been burning in the area around and north of Green Bay for months that year. Drought conditions had dried up local creeks and marshes, and the flourishing lumber industry had left huge amounts of tree debris and branches — called slash — from local forests. Peshtigo was a city built, literally, on sawdust.

                              Sr. Pius Doyle, one of the foundresses of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Cross, recorded events of late summer and fall 1871, noting how immigrant farmers were also clearing surrounding timberland for fields. Prairie fires resulted.

                              “Early in August in the afternoon,” Sr. Pius wrote, “the sun would be obscured, owing to the fire which steadily worsened so that, towards the end of the month, it was becoming frightful.”

                              Nothing, though, can describe the horror of the firestorm that hit — including fire tornadoes and whirlwinds that witnesses described as sounding like freight trains. The fire was so intense that it had the power of a thermonuclear bomb and temperatures so high that people were cremated as they fled.

                              Fr. Pernin managed to save the tabernacle from his church and carry it, while dragging his wagon to the river. In the jostling and bedlam, the wagon was pushed into the water and the tabernacle floated away. The next day it was found, resting upright and dry, on a log in the river — with the sacred species safe inside.

                              Fr. Pernin described the scene at the river in his memoir, The Finger of God Was There.
                              "I chanced to look either to the right or left, before me or upwards, I saw nothing by flames … I saw nothing but immense volumes of flames covering the firmament, rolling one over the other with stormy violence..."

                              Fr. Pernin survived that night by staying in the river, though his eyes were damaged by the heat and he became sick from the chill of being soaked in the cold water.

                              Further south and east of Peshtigo, lower Door County and northern Brown and Kewaunee counties were also burning. (The town of Brussels was destroyed by the fire.) Adele Brise and her companions at the chapel knew they could not escape the fire. So they took up the statue of Mary and bore it in procession around the grounds. They were joined by local people fleeing to the site. Fr. Pernin, in recording what Adele told him later, said they processed on their knees, praying the rosary.

                              “When the flame and wind blew so strongly in the direction of the chapel as to prevent their farther progress, unless they exposed themselves to suffocation,” Fr. Pernin wrote, “they awaited a lull in the storm or turning in another direction continued to hope and pray.”

                              By morning, he continued, all “the houses and fences in the neighborhood had been burned with the exception of the school, the chapel and fence surrounding the six acres of land consecrated to the Blessed Virgin.”
                              Fr. Pernin noted that the area not burned by the fire, a “winding path surrounding the enclosure being only eight or ten feet wide… now shone out like an emerald island amid a sea of ashes."” the compassnewsdotorg



                              Blessings
                              Last edited by Philomena; 06-11-18, 11:52 AM.
                              May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X