Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Roman Catholic Priesthood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Catholic Priesthood

Did Jesus Christ institute a New Testament priesthood?
    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
    The Priesthood continues the Apostolic model. Jesus saw fit to specially choose a group of men who were receptive to His Spirit and taught them not only about the New Covenant God was making with His people... but importantly about His very nature as both a man and God , what we describe as "consubstantial with the Father". This group operated as a brotherhood of leaders commissioned to stand for Christ after His ascension into heaven. They were privy to His mysteries in a way that the following generations would need to accept by faith. "Blessed are those who have not seen but yet believe" (John 20 29) Their commission involved real communion and agreement on essential beliefs to preserve the truth. They taught strongly against the type of disagreement that resulted in broken communion and literal division on matters of faith and morals.

So my faith in the institution of the Church and requirement to submit to and obey it (Heb 13 17)... is confirmed by the Apostolic model of collegial brotherhood (Priesthood)the Church has maintains to this day.
    The crones love their cliques!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercedes View Post

The Priesthood continues the Apostolic model.
      So my faith in the institution of the Church and requirement to submit to and obey it (Heb 13 17)... is confirmed by the Apostolic model of collegial brotherhood (Priesthood)the Church has maintains to this day.
      Your faith is in an institution? I figured.
      1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
        Their faith is built on sand propped up by laws and bylaws,

Comment

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Obviously yes.
          “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Comment

Just as Paul articulated to the Ephesians and to us all... Eph 4 11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

Comment

Yes.

Luke 22:19 and 1 Corinthians 11:24.

Comment

Christ instituted His Church with law and order. I know such a concept of law and order might be foreign to you, but it is what it is.
                Ubi Petrus, Ibi Ecclesia, Ibi Deus
                "Where Peter is, there is the Church, there is God."

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Obviously yes.
                  Why would Christ institute a NT priesthood to mediate salvation to men and forgiveness of sins through confession and penance?
                  RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

The Priesthood continues the Apostolic model. Jesus saw fit to specially choose a group of men who were receptive to His Spirit and taught them not only about the New Covenant God was making with His people... but importantly about His very nature as both a man and God , what we describe as "consubstantial with the Father". This group operated as a brotherhood of leaders commissioned to stand for Christ after His ascension into heaven. They were privy to His mysteries in a way that the following generations would need to accept by faith. "Blessed are those who have not seen but yet believe" (John 20 29) Their commission involved real communion and agreement on essential beliefs to preserve the truth. They taught strongly against the type of disagreement that resulted in broken communion and literal division on matters of faith and morals.

To bad your "faith" isn't in the Lord Jesus Christ. Then you would be guided by the Holy Spirit to fully understand that Scripture teaches that the entire priesthood and the sacrificial system have been abolished by Jesus Christ. There is no more human priesthood and no more sacrifice for sin, merc. Therefore, in the NT, there is no mention made of any group of men set apart to minister as priests. The NT specifically teaches that Christ has become the fulfilment of the OT priesthood, and He is now the only mediator between God and man. (1Tim. 2:5). The human priesthood established under the Mosaic Law has been set aside, fulfilled in and by Christ. He has come and has perfectly fulfilled the requirements for salvation. He Himself is the perfect sacrifice and priest. There is no need for continuing sacrifices or a continuing priesthood because He has been sacrificed once for all, and made a priest forever. The allusion to Melchizedek is to emphasize the eternal and exclusive nature of the priesthood of Christ.

Comment

was that always so or else when did it happen?

major differences in the 'faith' of catholics and that of one who is born again. My faith is in Christ alone and I submit my life to Him, not man.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Submit to their Authority and Dominion over you
                        ++edit++
                        ++edit++

have you never read

Matt.20:24
                        Jesus called them unto him, and said,
                        Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them,
                        and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
                        +++edit+++ to the direct command of Christ
                        26 But it shall not be so among you:
                        ++++edit+++
                        Christ gave no man nor any council of men in any size, shape, for nor fashion
                        any Authority nor Dominion over the Church
                        in fact; he even fobade that to his Apostles
                        yes, that includes Peter

+++edit+++
                        "You cannot serve man and God"
                        Last edited by Mod9; 07-10-18, 03:11 PM. Reason: Edited for personl comments

Comment

Originally posted by thatcatholicguy View Post

Christ instituted His Church with law and order. I know such a concept of law and order might be foreign to you, but it is what it is.

Just as Paul articulated to the Ephesians and to us all... Eph 4 11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.
                          You're either begging or pirating; Jesus never instituted a Church which would inquisition to death and take away Bibles from blood washed redeemed sinners, and teach two sinless mediators and advocates.
                          1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Why would Christ institute a NT priesthood to mediate salvation to men and forgiveness of sins through confession and penance?
                            Because they're a participation of His priesthood, where he receives our confessions and forgives us for our sins?

By the way, we should all agree that Jesus did institute the priesthood of believers at the very least.
                            “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Comment

To bad your "faith" isn't in the Lord Jesus Christ. Then you would be guided by the Holy Spirit to fully understand that Scripture teaches that the entire priesthood and the sacrificial system have been abolished by Jesus Christ. There is no more human priesthood and no more sacrifice for sin, merc. Therefore, in the NT, there is no mention made of any group of men set apart to minister as priests. The NT specifically teaches that Christ has become the fulfilment of the OT priesthood, and He is now the only mediator between God and man. (1Tim. 2:5). The human priesthood established under the Mosaic Law has been set aside, fulfilled in and by Christ. He has come and has perfectly fulfilled the requirements for salvation. He Himself is the perfect sacrifice and priest. There is no need for continuing sacrifices or a continuing priesthood because He has been sacrificed once for all, and made a priest forever. The allusion to Melchizedek is to emphasize the eternal and exclusive nature of the priesthood of Christ.
                              Working backwards my answer is that of Simon Peter when Jesus asked the Apostles if they were leaving Him too. ôLord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6 68

When Paul spoke the words to the Ephesians that I quoted above, I'm drawn to all those things by my faith in Christ and I genuinely cannot find such a communion of gifts like that apart from the Apostolic model of Church of Catholicism. So my faith in Jesus Christ draws me powerfully into the Church and His Real Presence..

Eph 4 11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

Comment

Working...
                              X