Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What councils do you accept, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What councils do you accept, and why?

As many of you are aware, most Christians of all churches and communities recognize at least one Church council, that of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts.
    And as many of you probably know, there have been more since that time.

Of all of these church councils, which is the last council you accept as teaching orthodox Christianity?
    And why do you reject the succeeding council, whatever that may be?
    “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Personally, for what it matters, I accept the seven ecumenical councils. I feel like the Roman councils are synods binding only on the Roman Church.

And while I have the chance I'd like to say, once again, I wish the Church would reunite and settle its differences.

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post
      Personally, for what it matters, I accept the seven ecumenical councils. I feel like the Roman councils are synods binding only on the Roman Church.

And while I have the chance I'd like to say, once again, I wish the Church would reunite and settle its differences.
      Hmm. I'm detecting an Eastern flair to this.
      “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Comment

I think this question is a real conundrum for lots of nonCC's because to accept any Council is to accept that there was a collegial body overseeing the whole of the Church. A fundamental of the nonCC movement is to reject any collegial body with a catholic authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercedes View Post
          I think this question is a real conundrum for lots of nonCC's because to accept any Council is to accept that there was a collegial body overseeing the whole of the Church. A fundamental of the nonCC movement is to reject any collegial body with a catholic authority.
          I have to agree! I really wish one of our Protestant friends would address this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

I have to agree! I really wish one of our Protestant friends would address this question.
            I hope so also.

Comment

The better question to ask is what Protestant synod or council adopted the canon of the Protestant Bible.

JoeT
              Sigillum Militum Χρisti † / "Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

Totus Tuus, "Totally yours . . . Keep me in this union".

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT View Post
                The better question to ask is what Protestant synod or council adopted the canon of the Protestant Bible.

JoeT
                is there such a thing as a protestant council?

Comment

Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

Itís called a bible study, and itís not Ecumenical.
                  Arise, O Lord, and go to thy resting place, thou and the ark of thy might. [Psalm 132:8 (RSVCE)]

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Joe View Post

It’s called a bible study, and it’s not Ecumenical.
                    amen

Comment

Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

I never heard of one myself, but if they were of THE One Unified faith as Born Again OSAS-ers it would seem they would need a Bible.

JoeT
                      Sigillum Militum Χρisti † / "Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

Totus Tuus, "Totally yours . . . Keep me in this union".

Comment

As many of you are aware, most Christians of all churches and communities recognize at least one Church council, that of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts.
                        Nah. I do not recognize councils of men. I recognize the Word of God. In the case of Jerusalem, the latter confirmed the former.

That is the problem with Catholics: they vow to believe and obey any and everything their councils teach or will ever come up with in the future.

This shows a total lack of love for the truth. This is the result of the cult mind at full throttle.

Christ followers do not seek councils, but instead always seek to follow the Word of God and the witness of the Apostles.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

There is no "question" to address.

The Apostles did not teach anyone to make sure to believe and obey whatever future supposed "councils" dictate. That would be as dumb as all get out, and Christ followers know better.

The Apostles and the early church did not need nor did they even nod to any of your silly councils. They knew nothing of them, and they meant nothing to them, as the Apostles and the churches they planted turned their world upside down for Christ.

Of course, even Roman Catholics cherry pick the parts of their councils they want to believe and obey...and the parts they take upon themselves to ignore. We are all supposed to be impressed by this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

There is no "question" to address.

The Apostles did not teach anyone to make sure to believe and obey whatever future supposed "councils" dictate. That would be as dumb as all get out, and Christ followers know better.

The Apostles and the early church did not need nor did they even nod to any of your silly councils. They knew nothing of them, and they meant nothing to them, as the Apostles and the churches they planted turned their world upside down for Christ.

Of course, even Roman Catholics cherry pick the parts of their councils they want to believe and obey...and the parts they take upon themselves to ignore. We are all supposed to be impressed by this.

The Jerusalem Council, Acts 15:1-35

That set a precedent, Atemi.

Blessings
                            May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Philomena View Post
                              The Jerusalem Council, Acts 15:1-35

That set a precedent, Atemi.
                              Nope. No such claim to "precedent" is anywhere taught in the Word of God.

In actuality, that local council was never mentioned again and then all those Apostles passed on.

No mention of any future councils that all Christ followers need to believe and obey, no matter what they teach or come up with.

Sorry. Truth hurts.

Comment

Working...
                              X