Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What councils do you accept, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post
    As many of you are aware, most Christians of all churches and communities recognize at least one Church council, that of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts.
    And as many of you probably know, there have been more since that time.

Of all of these church councils, which is the last council you accept as teaching orthodox Christianity?
    And why do you reject the succeeding council, whatever that may be?
    Here is a list; http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/orthcoun.htm

Why? It's what the Church has done by the guidance of the Holy Trinity.
    In accordance with the Apostolic faith delivered to us by tradition from the Fathers, I have delivered the tradition, without inventing anything extraneous to it. What I have learned, that I inscribed, comfortably with the Holy Scriptures

Comment

Originally posted by Iakobos View Post
      Here is a list; http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/orthcoun.htm

Why? It's what the Church has done by the guidance of the Holy Trinity.
      The RCs follow a different set of councils and a different set of teachings than the EOs.

Yet all of you claim your particular set of councils was done by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Yet all of you claim that all Christ followers should follow and obey your particular set of councils...of course insisting that this is what God wants.

The EOs know darn well God did not say to follow and obey the Roman Catholic set of councils...and the RCs know darn well that God did not say to follow and obey just the EO set of councils.

Yet all of you want the rest of us to take your word for it....even though you are all impotent at convincing each other!

LOL.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

Nah. I do not recognize councils of men. I recognize the Word of God. In the case of Jerusalem, the latter confirmed the former.

That is the problem with Catholics: they vow to believe and obey any and everything their councils teach or will ever come up with in the future.

This shows a total lack of love for the truth. This is the result of the cult mind at full throttle.

Christ followers do not seek councils, but instead always seek to follow the Word of God and the witness of the Apostles.

Well, you acknowledge the Council of Jerusalem. And as you see according to CARM, they acknowledge the 7 ecumenical councils agreed upon by most/all Christians.

By the way, you say "the witness of the Apostles". The Apostles held a council to determine what should happen in the community. This was imitated for the next thousand years.
        Why reject what the Apostles did and what the Christian Church did?

Unless you realize you don't belong to historical Christianity.
        “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Comment

Geralt_De_Sales

I believe because Evangelicalism is aberrant to Historical Christianity,

We get to see some evangelicals believe Jesus was created by God.

Originally posted by mica View Post
          Jesus was notimmaculately conceived

would have been born with sin if God hadn't intervened

He was created by God, not born
          or believe Jesus can be split in two

Originally posted by tester View Post

Jesus descendant of Abraham from the line of David, son of Mary, Son of Man, the Lamb of God, the last Adam died on the Cross: killed by a few Roman soldiers.
          His life ceased

The Christ, the Supreme Creator of all, the Second Person of the Trinity, the Eternal, the Logos, the Sustainer of ALL things, the Great I AM, the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." did not die on the Cross
          His life never ceases
          or believe God performed the first in-vitro with Jesus as prepared body that was implanted inside of Mary for incubation

Originally posted by ETGO View Post

See my last post.. and I will not answer this question again. If you forget the answer I gave you this time can search it out next time.

God did do it via HIS HOLY SPIRIT..... HE did not have sexual intercourse tantric or carnally with Miriam, He prepared a body and implanted it in the womb.. end of discussion.

God performed the very first surgery on Adam, do you think HE is not capable of performing invetro fertilization?
          or believe the incarnation did not happen or it is a non-essential

Originally posted by nan View Post
          Originally posted by CatholicScripture View Post

Did Mary carry God in her womb? Yes or No?
          No.

Originally posted by LovetheLord View Post
          Originally posted by valleygem View Post

I used to believe the same about that too. I'm leaning more towards that God did not use her egg. Just recently I've read a good article on why. But either way isn't crucial on our salvation.

Interesting. And agreed, it is not an issue we must agree on. It's a non-essential, but Catholics seem to want to make it an essential for some reason.

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

God can't be born. Glad you agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

There is no "question" to address.
            Yes there is. I'm asking you, in the history of Christian councils going all the way back to Jerusalem, which ones do you accept? You've clearly said you reject all of them (and the Christian teachings that they defended).

Originally posted by Atemi
            The Apostles did not teach anyone to make sure to believe and obey whatever future supposed "councils" dictate. That would be as dumb as all get out, and Christ followers know better.
            The Apostles taught the Church to follow their leaders, the Bishops, Elders and Deacons. Because of their authority, they could call a council to determine truth against lies, misunderstandings and heresies. This was seen in famous councils like the First Council of Nicea, which rejected Arianism.

Instead, rejecting the councils would be dumb, as that's how you end up with non-Christian religions like the Watchtower and the Mormons.

The Apostles and the early church did not need nor did they even nod to any of your silly councils. They knew nothing of them, and they meant nothing to them, as the Apostles and the churches they planted turned their world upside down for Christ.
            The Apostles were all dead by the time the next council came about. The early Church though understood and held to the councils, which clearly defended Christian doctrines against heresies.
            https://carm.org/what-are-the-dates-...hurch-councils This link will help you understand why you're wrong.

Of course, even Roman Catholics cherry pick the parts of their councils they want to believe and obey...and the parts they take upon themselves to ignore. We are all supposed to be impressed by this.
            I'm confused. You deny that Christians have councils, and then argue that those who have councils cherry pick them. Do you want to show me where you've found such evidence, Atemi?

“Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

Comment

Geralt_De_Sales

I believe because Evangelicalism is aberrant to Historical Christianity,

We get to see some evangelicals believe Jesus was created by God.

or believe Jesus can be split in two

or believe God performed the first in-vitro with Jesus as prepared body that was implanted inside of Mary for incubation

or believe the incarnation did not happen or it is a non-essential
              Do you ever long for the day these kinds of posts actually say what you want them to say?
              Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Do you ever long for the day these kinds of posts actually say what you want them to say?
                catholics seem fine with pretending that they say what they want them to say. just like they do with scripture...

they'll even base a doctrine on what they pretend that something says...

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Let's take one quote.

Underline the part I misrepresented from the following quote

Did Mary carry God in her womb? Yes or No?

No.

Comment

Let's take one quote.

Underline the part I misrepresented from the following quote

Nan gave another answer i see you chose not to include in your mini drama.

Never said that. If Mary had given birth to Theos she would have birthed a spirit. Did she? Yes or no.
                    Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

You can't birth spirits, you give birth to persons. Jesus (the person) is God. Is Jesus a spirit, then?

Comment

You can't birth spirits, you give birth to persons. Jesus (the person) is God. Is Jesus a spirit, then?
                        You can't give birth to spirits. Which was Nan's basic argument if I read her correctly. Can you then "carry" a spirit? Which was cs's argument.

This whole line of reasoning by catholics is nothing more than an effort to legitimize your flawed dogma of Mary as theotokos.

Comment

You can't give birth to spirits. Which was Nan's basic argument if I read her correctly. Can you then "carry" a spirit? Which was cs's argument.

This whole line of reasoning by catholics is nothing more than an effort to legitimize your flawed dogma of Mary as theotokos.
                          I would argue that yes, you can carry a spirit because it's part of a person. In this case, Jesus, being fully God and fully Man, was carried by Mary. Which is, again, why Mary is the mother of God, because that's who Jesus is.

It's Christian doctrine that defended Christology from heretics in 431 A.D.

Comment

And? it says the same nan doesn't believe Mary carried God in her womb, because of the spirit. She is splitting God just like tester does

Originally posted by tester View Post

Jesus descendant of Abraham from the line of David, son of Mary, Son of Man, the Lamb of God, the last Adam died on the Cross: killed by a few Roman soldiers.
                            His life ceased

The Christ, the Supreme Creator of all, the Second Person of the Trinity, the Eternal, the Logos, the Sustainer of ALL things, the Great I AM, the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." did not die on the Cross
                            His life never ceases

Comment

I would argue that yes, you can carry a spirit because it's part of a person. In this case, Jesus, being fully God and fully Man, was carried by Mary. Which is, again, why Mary is the mother of God, because that's who Jesus is.

It's Christian doctrine that defended Christology from heretics in 431 A.D.
                              Where does scripture say that (1) Mary is the mother of God and that (2) Mary carried God in her womb?

And yes, I'd like those specific words.
                              We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

Well, you acknowledge the Council of Jerusalem.
                                The meeting is recorded in Scripture under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit...unlike all the gatherings and writings you follow.

And as you see according to CARM, they acknowledge the 7 ecumenical councils agreed upon by most/all Christians.
                                "They"? Who is "they"?

By the way, you say "the witness of the Apostles".
                                Yeah. That tends to be important to Christ followers. I know you Roman Catholics have no real use for it. Catholics seek "the witness of councils"....of which they only believe and obey the parts they cherry pick.

The Apostles held a council to determine what should happen in the community.
                                That was a local meeting to address the false teaching coming out of Judea.

Why reject what the Apostles did
                                I obviously do not. The Apostles did not convene all those very late arriving councils you have a crush on. Actually, the Apostles and all the churches they planted turned their world absolutely upside down for Jesus Christ...WITHOUT all these meet ups and arguments and debates you are so dependent on.

Sad.

and what the Christian Church did?
                                You mean what some guys did.

And we know Catholics feel the same because they cherry pick what they will follow and believe from those same councils...and ignore the rest.

I am not interested in that life of hypocrisy.

Unless you realize you don't belong to historical Christianity.
                                There is no such thing as a faith called "historical Christianity."

I follow the faith taught by Christ and His Apostles. You are not even following their doctrines, instead following a late arriving religion you call "historical Christianity"!

LOL.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                                X