Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Not Following Up On The Penance Given

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not Following Up On The Penance Given

    When a Roman Catholic confesses his/her sins to a priest, and the priest gives that person absolution from their sins along with a penance to perform, is there a penalty for forgoing the penance phase of confession but accepting the absolution? Are their sins truly forgiven?
    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
    When a Roman Catholic confesses his/her sins to a priest, and the priest gives that person absolution from their sins along with a penance to perform, is there a penalty for forgoing the penance phase of confession but accepting the absolution? Are their sins truly forgiven?
    Since the Catholic Priest is just as INCAPABLE of giving absolution as the counter man at McDonald's, the only REAL issue is whether or not the Catholic (or anybody else) has been convicted of the sin, Confessed it to Father God in Jesus' name, and genuinely repented of it.

    THEN their SIN is covered by, and REMOVED COMPLETELY by the Blood of Jesus, our SIN Offering.

    IF the Priest also is a Christian (and some are), then he may be able to give Christian Council to the penitent to assist in preventing further lapses.

    The rest of it is nothing but Catholic Superstition.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
      When a Roman Catholic confesses his/her sins to a priest, and the priest gives that person absolution from their sins along with a penance to perform, is there a penalty for forgoing the penance phase of confession but accepting the absolution? Are their sins truly forgiven?
      The absolution would be valid, but if they purposefully refuse to do the penance, then that itself becomes a sin. All of the sins you've confessed in the sacrament are forgiven, but you've made a new one after the fact.

      Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen has a great analogy for this that I'll adapt. If let's say I steal your backpack, and I realize I've committed sin, and I repent and ask you for forgiveness, you in your kindness might say "yes, I forgive you". But if I don't return your backpack, then is that truly an act of sincere repentance?

      Now, if I forget the penance, for whatever reason, that itself isn't a sin because it wasn't willing. But it's important to mention it and to be honest. As shown below, the idea of penance isn't that we're working for our forgiveness. Rather, it's a continued act of repentance. It's washing the feet of Jesus with one's hair and perfume, as it were.

      Please look below for a full explanation of what a penance is and why we Catholics have it.

      1460 The penance the confessor imposes must take into account the penitent's personal situation and must seek his spiritual good. It must correspond as far as possible with the gravity and nature of the sins committed. It can consist of prayer, an offering, works of mercy, service of neighbor, voluntary self-denial, sacrifices, and above all the patient acceptance of the cross we must bear. Such penances help configure us to Christ, who alone expiated our sins once for all. They allow us to become co-heirs with the risen Christ, "provided we suffer with him."63
      The satisfaction that we make for our sins, however, is not so much ours as though it were not done through Jesus Christ. We who can do nothing ourselves, as if just by ourselves, can do all things with the cooperation of "him who strengthens" us. Thus man has nothing of which to boast, but all our boasting is in Christ . . . in whom we make satisfaction by bringing forth "fruits that befit repentance." These fruits have their efficacy from him, by him they are offered to the Father, and through him they are accepted by the Father.64
      “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

        Since the Catholic Priest is just as INCAPABLE of giving absolution as the counter man at McDonald's, the only REAL issue is whether or not the Catholic (or anybody else) has been convicted of the sin, Confessed it to Father God in Jesus' name, and genuinely repented of it.

        THEN their SIN is covered by, and REMOVED COMPLETELY by the Blood of Jesus, our SIN Offering.

        IF the Priest also is a Christian (and some are), then he may be able to give Christian Council to the penitent to assist in preventing further lapses.

        The rest of it is nothing but Catholic Superstition.
        Tell me, Bob. Do you believe that Jesus gave the Apostles the authority to forgive sins in His name?
        “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

          Tell me, Bob. Do you believe that Jesus gave the Apostles the authority to forgive sins in His name?
          Not in the "Holy Roman Catholic" sense. ONLY God HIMSELF as a result of the SIN OFFERING in Jesus' Blood eradicates SIN in a Christian. ANYBODY can forgive a SIN committed against himself, but ONLY GOD can apply the BLOOD, and make the SIN ITSELF disappear.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

            Not in the "Holy Roman Catholic" sense. ONLY God HIMSELF as a result of the SIN OFFERING in Jesus' Blood eradicates SIN in a Christian. ANYBODY can forgive a SIN committed against himself, but ONLY GOD can apply the BLOOD, and make the SIN ITSELF disappear.
            Okay, so let me go back to my original question. Do you believe that Jesus gave the Apostles the authority to forgive the sins of other people?
            “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

              Okay, so let me go back to my original question. Do you believe that Jesus gave the Apostles the authority to forgive the sins of other people?
              Sure, but ONLY the sins that "other people" committed against them personally, They HAD NO authority to "Forgive ANTHING" committed against a third party. And they were TOTALLY INCAPABLE of "Justifying" (eradicating the SIN of) anybody for anything.

              Forgiveness is essentially nothing more that "tearing up the I.O.U." that you hold against people that YOU THINK "owe you something" but it has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the SIN that they have actually committed. YOU may forgive them, and GOD might forgive them, BUT THE SIN IS STILL THERE until it's eradicated by the BLOOD OF JESUS - that's what the Gospel is all about. not just "Forgiveness" but ERADICATION of SIN.
              Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 07-13-18, 04:37 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                Sure, but ONLY the sins that "other people" committed against them personally, They HAD NO authority to "Forgive ANTHING" committed against a third party. And they were TOTALLY INCAPABLE of "Justifying" (eradicating the SIN of) anybody for anything.

                Forgiveness is essentially nothing more that "tearing up the I.O.U." that you hold against people that YOU THINK "owe you something" but it has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the SIN that they have actually committed. YOU may forgive them, and GOD might forgive them, BUT THE SIN IS STILL THERE until it's eradicated by the BLOOD OF JESUS - that's what the Gospel is all about. not just "Forgiveness" but ERADICATION of SIN.
                That's not what the Bible says. Please show me where the Bible says that the Apostles could only forgive sins that someone committed against them personally.

                If you look at the text, it explicitly says

                John 20:23
                "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

                Sounds a lot more like "if the Apostles forgive the sins of any, those sins are forgiven."

                Actually, forgiveness is what eradicates the sin, Bob. The blood of Jesus isn't bleach, man. It's a sacrifice of love that expiated our sins. So when God forgives us, our sins are forgiven and wiped away from the face of the universe.

                “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
                  When a Roman Catholic confesses his/her sins to a priest, and the priest gives that person absolution from their sins along with a penance to perform, is there a penalty for forgoing the penance phase of confession but accepting the absolution? Are their sins truly forgiven?
                  It depends on what was going on.

                  If you intended on completing the penance at the time it was given, then the absolution was valid. However, it is still a problem that the penance is not completed, and needs to be mentioned the next time one is in the confessional.

                  One should ask one's self, Why did I not do the penance? Did I not take my confession seriously? Was I not truly remorseful?

                  If on the other hand one was given a penance that one rejected and one did not ask for a different penance, and so completed the absolution with no intention of doing the penance, then the confession is invalid.
                  Open Heart, Hebrew Catholic
                  “God never abandoned his covenant with Israel" Pope Francis
                  "It is unthinkable that [the Church] would claim to replace Israel. She is not another Israel." Cardinal Lustiger

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post
                    If you look at the text, it explicitly says

                    John 20:23
                    "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
                    The Roman Catholic Church officially denies this to be true when it comes to your priests.

                    So why post it as if you believe it or something?

                    LOL.

                    So when God forgives us, our sins are forgiven and wiped away from the face of the universe.
                    That is true, but your priests are not God, no matter the lies they have told you.

                    ...
                    "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Open Heart View Post
                      If on the other hand one was given a penance that one rejected and one did not ask for a different penance, and so completed the absolution with no intention of doing the penance, then the confession is invalid.
                      What do you mean "the confession is invalid"?

                      ...

                      "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Jesus took upon Himself and bore all my sins on His own Body on the Cross, and once I repented He covered them up with HIs own blood. Does the Roman Catholic priest that hears the confessions of Roman Catholics bear their sins in his own body in order to give forgiveness as Jesus did? Did any of the apostles take anyone's sins upon their own bodies - were any of the apostles commissioned by Christ Jesus to do so, or is it unnecessary because Jesus expiated our sins and made reparation for the punishment which was due to our sins?
                        RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post
                          Actually, forgiveness is what eradicates the sin, Bob.
                          So, then to YOU as a "Holy Roman Catholic" believer, Jesus and HIS Propitiatory Sacrifice was a total waste of time, and wasn't needed at all. There IS NO "Gospel", and there was never a need for one.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                            So, then to YOU as a "Holy Roman Catholic" believer, Jesus and HIS Propitiatory Sacrifice was a total waste of time, and wasn't needed at all. There IS NO "Gospel", and there was never a need for one.

                            Not at all. Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross and forgiveness of sins are inextricably linked, according to Colossians 1:

                            13 He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.[g]
                            “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― St. Francis de Sales

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

                              Not at all. Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross and forgiveness of sins are inextricably linked, according to Colossians 1:

                              13 He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.[g]
                              If you died this very moment, do you believe you are guaranteed eternal life because you are in the kingdom of Christ, are redeemed and forgiven?

                              Or do you believe you may actually still go to Hell forever because you may still be under the power of darkness?

                              ...
                              "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X