X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raynebeau
    started a topic Not Following Up On The Penance Given

Not Following Up On The Penance Given

When a Roman Catholic confesses his/her sins to a priest, and the priest gives that person absolution from their sins along with a penance to perform, is there a penalty for forgoing the penance phase of confession but accepting the absolution? Are their sins truly forgiven?

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied
    Originally posted by mica View Post
    I don't see that in that verse.
    John 20:23

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
    And neither do I see in the verse "whose sins you "declare forgiven" will be forgiven by God, and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• mica
    replied
    Originally posted by Geralt_De_Sales View Post

Yes, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". That's how Jesus meant that the Apostles could forgive sins, per John 20:23.

Because it's good?
    I don't see that in that verse.
    John 20:23

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

No, because I have to confess it to Christ, which I do in the sacrament of Confession.
    So why do you bring up John 5:16 as if it's equal to First John 1:9? The former, confessing our sins to each other, does not grant God's forgiveness. Only the latter does.

Leave a comment:

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied
    Originally posted by nan View Post

Do you believe when you receive forgiveness from your neighbor for a transgression committed against him that the sin is gone?
    No, because I have to confess it to Christ, which I do in the sacrament of Confession.

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

They're a response to the two posts you just made.
    Do you believe when you receive forgiveness from your neighbor for a transgression committed against him that the sin is gone?

Leave a comment:

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied

I did. Your point?
    They're a response to the two posts you just made.

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

You did see the two verses I mentioned, right?
    I did. Your point?

Leave a comment:

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied

Forgiving your neighbor his transgressions against you does not remove the sin. It merely re-establishes your relationship.
    You did see the two verses I mentioned, right?

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

Because it's good?
    Forgiving your neighbor his transgressions against you does not remove the sin. It merely re-establishes your relationship.

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

Yes, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". That's how Jesus meant that the Apostles could forgive sins, per John 20:23.
    Rubbish. Jesus never commanded that we confess our sins to another sinner to receive HIS forgiveness!

Leave a comment:

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied

I see. So the priest doesn't say "I absolve you of your sins" ... ?

And if it is God who forgives sins, why the need to confess to another sinner?

Because it's good?

Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. (James 5:16).

If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.(1 John 1:9)

Leave a comment:

• nan
    replied

You and I both agree with the first part; only God can forgive sins. That is why whenever a priest hears a confession, it is God who is forgiving the sins.
    I see. So the priest doesn't say "I absolve you of your sins" ... ?

And if it is God who forgives sins, why the need to confess to another sinner?

Leave a comment:

• Geralt_De_Sales
    replied

Not at all. While Christians are commanded to have a forgiving spirit, it is only God who can grant absolution for sin. Forgiving one another restores the relationship between brethren, but the sin remains.

Scripture is very clear that all sin is committed against God alone (Psalm 51:4). God alone exercises the power and authority to grant forgiveness.

The apostles were given the power to declare whether a sin would be forgiven or not. However, the authority to grant absolution was never given to anyone.

You and I both agree with the first part; only God can forgive sins. That is why whenever a priest hears a confession, it is God who is forgiving the sins.

What does it mean to "declare whether a sin would be forgiven"? Do the Apostles now determine whether God will forgive?

Leave a comment:

• Calsgal
    replied

Say what?
    Just another HUH??? moment

1 Cor 5:3Although I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit, and I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are gathered in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, along with the power of the Lord Jesus, 5hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X