Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Marriage and Catholicism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage and Catholicism

I was an evangelical and I am getting married for the third time in my life after two divorces. My prior marriages with christian ladies that never baptized were considered valid in my evangelical communities. This time my marriage is sacramental as it was done according to the Church of Christ.

I remember marriage was pretty much an afterthough growing up as evangelical. We would get married and it was celebrated but divorce was considered just fine. I was not the only evangelical in my church with a divorce; serial marriage and divorce was pretty common. I guess it is not surprising that gay "marriage" happens routinely in evangelical churches now.

I see the contrast of the sacramental marriage and how the Catholic Church truly follows the scriptural teachings of Christ. It is a true sacrament where both husband and wife are ministers of it. It is truly a holy union that cannot be broken by a simple civil divorce. After all, what God puts together cannot be broken by me like it happens with evangelicals.

Originally posted by Bible View Post
    I was an evangelical and I am getting married for the third time in my life after two divorces. My prior marriages with christian ladies that never baptized were considered valid in my evangelical communities. This time my marriage is sacramental as it was done according to the Church of Christ.

I remember marriage was pretty much an afterthough growing up as evangelical. We would get married and it was celebrated but divorce was considered just fine. I was not the only evangelical in my church with a divorce; serial marriage and divorce was pretty common. I guess it is not surprising that gay "marriage" happens routinely in evangelical churches now.

I see the contrast of the sacramental marriage and how the Catholic Church truly follows the scriptural teachings of Christ. It is a true sacrament where both husband and wife are ministers of it. It is truly a holy union that cannot be broken by a simple civil divorce. After all, what God puts together cannot be broken by me like it happens with evangelicals.

Yep. Marriage in evangelicalism is symbolic, just like baptism is symbolic, just like communion is symbolic. You can get baptized as many times as you want in evangelical churches and you can also get married as many times too.
    Last edited by Mod8; 08-12-18, 05:47 PM. Reason: ALERT / no violation

Comment

Hi Bible. Do you have to get your first 2 marriages annulled before the RCC will marry you?
      Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

Originally posted by Peitho View Post

Hi Bible. Do you have to get your first 2 marriages annulled before the RCC will marry you?
        Whoooops!

"Cults use Christian terminology, but redefine terms to suit their own belief and practices."-Dr. Walter Martin

Catholicism's doctrines of demons:

1TI 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
        1TI 4:3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

Comment

I was a not baptized evangelical for my first marriage with another not baptized evangelical.

I was baptized in a Baptist church by the time I married a not baptized evangelical for my second marriage.

what does the scripture says about marriage dissolution between two non baptized? What does the Church of Christ teaches about marriage between baptized and non baptized?

do you know the difference between a natural marriage and a sacramental marriage?

Annulment is for sacramental marriages Peitho.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

Whoooops!
            What's your take, Doug? D&R okay in your religion?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rome View Post

Yep. Marriage in evangelicalism is symbolic, just like baptism is symbolic, just like communion is symbolic. You can get baptized as many times as you want in evangelical churches and you can also get married as many times too.
              Everything is symbolic for them including the way they treat their salvation.

Comment

I was a not baptized evangelical for my first marriage with another not baptized evangelical.

I was baptized in a Baptist church by the time I married a not baptized evangelical for my second marriage.

what does the scripture says about marriage dissolution between two non baptized? What does the Church of Christ teaches about marriage between baptized and non baptized?

do you know the difference between a natural marriage and a sacramental marriage?

So you didn't get an annulment for your previous marriages before getting married in the Catholic Church?

"Cults use Christian terminology, but redefine terms to suit their own belief and practices."-Dr. Walter Martin

1TI 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
                1TI 4:3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

Comment

I was an not baptized evangelical for my first marriage with another not baptized evangelical.

I was baptized in a Baptist church by the time I married a not baptized evangelical for my second marriave.

what does the scripture says about marriage dissolution between two not marriage. What about what the Church of Christ teaches about marriage between baptized and non baptized?

do you know the different between a natural marriage and a sacramental marriage?

You didn't answer my question.

Annulments are also for civilly joined Natural marriages. The church recognizes civil marriages regardless of baptism.

According to Catholicism, you are still married to your first spouse regardless if one or both of you were not baptized, the church still considers it valid and must be proven to be invalid via the conditions offered in an annulment.

Have you submitted a Petrine Privilege to the Holy See? I hear it takes years before you get an answer.

Last edited by Peitho; 08-12-18, 05:32 PM.
                  Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

Annulments are also for civilly joined Natural marriages. The church recognizes civil marriages regardless of baptism.

According to Catholicism, you are still married to your first spouse regardless if one or both of you were not baptized, the church still considers it valid and must be proven to be invalid via the conditions offered in an annulment.

Have you submitted a Petrine Privilege to the Holy See? I hear it takes years before you get an answer.

Have you gotten an annulment?

Comment

That is the question on the table for the Catholic poster 'Bible'.

Comment

Obviously the person who started this thread doesn't even know Catholic canon law for re-marriage in the Catholic Church. Or he would not have started a thread like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post

That is the question on the table for the Catholic poster 'Bible'.
                          Have you gotten an annulment Doug?

Comment

Have you gotten an annulment Doug?
                            Bible, Mark Rome wants to know if you got an annulment after two failed marriages to get married for the third time in the Catholic Church. Did you?

Comment

No. No need to.
                              Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

Working...
                              X