Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Immaculate Conception and Isaiah the Prophet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tester View Post

and was John the Baptist also conceived without original sin?
    Conceived without original sin, no. Born without original sin, yes. It is not a doctrine of the Church so one is free to believe that John the Baptist was born in original sin or not. Personally, I believe that he was not born with original sin.
    https://www.osv.com/OSVNewsweekly/St...e-Baptist.aspx
    "Heretical teachers pervert Scripture and try to get into Heaven with a false key, for they have formed their human assemblies later than the Catholic Church. Pope St. Clement I (88-97)

Comment

Originally posted by Lamb's Servant View Post

But look at verse 7. Who is the man child and who is the woman who is not laboring? As you know Isaiah has many prophecies concerning the birth of Our Lord. Why should this verse be any different? Also, could not the verse have a duel meaning? One for that time period and another that is prophetic?

from Haydock's Bible commentary

Ver. 7. Before, &c. This relates to the conversion of the Gentiles, who were born as it were all on a sudden to the Church of God. Ch. --- Sion furnished the first preachers of the Gospel. H.

Ver. 8. Day. Shall a whole nation be born at once? Twelve fishermen effect the most surprising change in the manners of the world.

from the USCCB http://www.usccb.org/bible/isaiah/66
      v7-9 The renewal of Zion is pictured in terms of a miraculous, instantaneous birth, facilitated by God’s intervention.

I guess Haydock and the USCCB forgot to mention Mary

please provide the infallible interpretation from your Catholic Church
      if that doesn't exist;
      then please provide the authoritative interpretation from your Catholic Church.
      One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Conceived without original sin, no. Born without original sin, yes. It is not a doctrine of the Church so one is free to believe that John the Baptist was born in original sin or not. Personally, I believe that he was not born with original sin.
        https://www.osv.com/OSVNewsweekly/St...e-Baptist.aspx
        so how many peoples do you believe were born without original sin?

Mary, John the Baptist, Moses? , Enoch? , Mary's mother, Joseph?
        how many peoples do you believe?

One of the ekklēsia

Comment

"This can only mean that this is a round-a-bout prophecy concerning the Immaculate Conception."
          or

Ver. 7. Before, &c. This relates to the conversion of the Gentiles, who were born as it were all on a sudden to the Church of God. Ch. --- Sion furnished the first preachers of the Gospel. H.

Ver. 8. Day. Shall a whole nation be born at once? Twelve fishermen effect the most surprising change in the manners of the world.

v7-9 The renewal of Zion is pictured in terms of a miraculous, instantaneous birth, facilitated by God’s intervention.

If that is the case then we can say, from this verse, that Mary is the Mother of the Church?
          "Heretical teachers pervert Scripture and try to get into Heaven with a false key, for they have formed their human assemblies later than the Catholic Church. Pope St. Clement I (88-97)

Comment

Originally posted by boldirishlass View Post

The context refers to a nation (v.8) and to Jerusalem (v.10) and points to the fulfillment of the prophecies of the future kingdom that will come suddenly when Christ returns (vv. 7-9).
            Cannot verse have a duel meaning?

Comment

if that doesn't exist;
              The Church has only mentioned about 7 verses/passages that it says that it can "only mean this and noting else." The Isaiah verses, that I mentioned, are not part of those verses.

Comment

so how many peoples do you believe were born without original sin?

Mary, John the Baptist, Moses? , Enoch? , Mary's mother, Joseph?
                how many peoples do you believe?
                Jesus, Mary, and John the Baptist.

Comment

if that doesn't exist;
                  if that doesn't exist;
                  what stops Catholics from saying a verse means anything they want?
                  Last edited by tester; 12-09-18, 10:07 AM.
                  One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Regarding unbiblical dogmas? No it can't. The bible doesn't contain prophecies about an immaculate conception that never happened. Mary was a fallen sinner just like the rest of us.
                    Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

tester wrote,
                      if that doesn't exist;
                      if that doesn't exist;
                      I have already addressed this. What makes you think that the Church has infallibly interpreted every single verse of Scripture? Could you point out an authoritative document where it states that the Church has interpreted every single verse of Scripture infallibly?

what stops Catholics from saying a verse means anything they want?
                      Sacred Tradition and the teaching authority of the Church.

Comment

Nondenom40 wrote,

The bible doesn't contain prophecies about an immaculate conception that never happened.
                        I provided one that could be argued in favor of the Immaculate Conception.

Mary was a fallen sinner just like the rest of us
                        Could you show, from the Bible, an instance of where she sinned? Do you believe that God does not have the power to preserve her from sin?

Comment

tester wrote,

I have already addressed this. What makes you think that the Church has infallibly interpreted every single verse of Scripture? Could you point out an authoritative document where it states that the Church has interpreted every single verse of Scripture infallibly?

Sacred Tradition and the teaching authority of the Church.
                          i did not say the Church has infallibly interpreted every single verse of Scripture.
                          I am asking YOU do back up YOUR personal interpretation of Scripture with an authoritative Catholic source.
                          One of the ekklēsia

Comment

So I guess that you do not see this as a foreshadowing of the Blessed Mother or the Lord Jesus. Maybe we should question whether any of the prophecies, in Isaiah, pertain to Our Lord Jesus.
                            You aren't presenting that as a foreshadowing of Jesus' mother, but as a statement proving she was conceived without sin, isn't that right?

If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

tester wrote,

i did not say the Church has infallibly interpreted every single verse of Scripture.
                              But you insinuated as much.

I am asking YOU do back up YOUR personal interpretation of Scripture with an authoritative Catholic source.
                              1. Basically, what you are saying, is that you want an infallible interpretation from the Catholic Church concerning those verses.
                              2. If you want an "authoritative Catholic source" then I have already provided one - the Scriptures.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                                You aren't presenting that as a foreshadowing of Jesus' mother, but as a statement proving she was conceived without sin, isn't that right?
                                Both. A foreshadowing of Jesus' mother and a round -a- bout way of her not being conceived in original sin.

Comment

Working...
                                X