Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Works based salvation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

Scripture alone doesn't say that works do not play a part in salvation. In fact is says just the opposite.
    What works are necessary for our salvation?
    Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

• Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

And how much work is necessary to be "worthy" enough for Heaven.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angels_Sing View Post

Either God is creating us for his glory or not?

What did God save us for?

God had no intention of creation the old Adam for his glory but to contrast the first Adam with the second Adam.

The first Adam was of the earth which is temporal and the first Adam was subject to death and when the second Adam came the first Adam died with Christ in his death. Jesus died and rose out of death and is the second Adam and all humanity rise out of death with Christ in God's orderly arrangement.

The Adam God wants is created in God's image through the express image of Christ and God is in Christ who the new Adam belongs to.

There is nothing the old Adam could do to succor his salvation and God is not saving the old Adam whose purpose for existence was to contrast the new Adam in Christ.

The old Adam is dead and Christ did not come to save the old Adam but to put him away because according to the Law the soul that sins shall die.

Jesus came to make a new spiritual humanity and has delivered the old humanity out of death as a new spiritual creation.

1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
        Jesus succored our salvation and those who have been quickened out of death as a new spiritual creation must work out their salvation that Jesus has succored by the faith of Good spiritually at work in him which is by God's grace.

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

They won't tell us. They bark about it all day long but never seem to be able to offer specifics.
          Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

• Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

LOL I was responding to another RC Poster that said this

Catholics do have a reading comprehension issue I think..... All I was doing was comparing his comment to presbyterian teaching ...I did not say I believed that or agreed or disagreed ..

But lets look at your scripture proof text

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. (Mark 16:16)

Notice belief comes before baptism.. ... and it does not say that those not baptized will be condemned ...but that those that do not believe will be condemned..

Here is Catholic Church teaching...

Council of Trent: “We are therefore said to be justified by faith, because faith is the beginning of human salvation, the foundation and root of all justification, without which it is impossible to please God…we are therefore said to be justified gratuitously, because none of those things that precede justification, whether faith or works, merit the grace of justification,” (Denzinger, p. 252).

Comment

• Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

Here is Catholic Church teaching...

Council of Trent: “We are therefore said to be justified by faith, because faith is the beginning of human salvation, the foundation and root of all justification, without which it is impossible to please God…we are therefore said to be justified gratuitously, because none of those things that precede justification, whether faith or works, merit the grace of justification,” (Denzinger, p. 252).
              That is not what the scripture I posted says is it ?
              Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

• Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

That is not what the scripture I posted says is it ?
                March 16:16.

if you believe in the one true church and is baptized, you will be saved, it you do not believe in the one true church, you will be condemn.

8. Also well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by those who oppose the authority and statements of the same Church and are stubbornly separated from the unity of the Church and also from the successor of Peter, the Roman Pontiff, to whom "the custody of the vineyard has been committed by the Savior."[4] The words of Christ are clear enough: "If he refuses to listen even to the Church, let him be to you a Gentile and a tax collector;"[5] "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you, rejects me, and he who rejects me, rejects him who sent me;"[6] "He who does not believe will be condemned;"[7] "He who does not believe is already condemned;"[8] "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."[9] The Apostle Paul says that such persons are "perverted and self-condemned;"[10] the Prince of the Apostles calls them "false teachers . . . who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master. . . bringing upon themselves swift destruction."[11]...on promotion of false doctrine encyclical of pope Pius ix, 1863

Comment

• Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

March 16:16.

if you believe in the one true church and is baptized, you will be saved, it you do not believe in the one true church, you will be condemn.

8. Also well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by those who oppose the authority and statements of the same Church and are stubbornly separated from the unity of the Church and also from the successor of Peter, the Roman Pontiff, to whom "the custody of the vineyard has been committed by the Savior."[4] The words of Christ are clear enough: "If he refuses to listen even to the Church, let him be to you a Gentile and a tax collector;"[5] "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you, rejects me, and he who rejects me, rejects him who sent me;"[6] "He who does not believe will be condemned;"[7] "He who does not believe is already condemned;"[8] "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."[9] The Apostle Paul says that such persons are "perverted and self-condemned;"[10] the Prince of the Apostles calls them "false teachers . . . who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master. . . bringing upon themselves swift destruction."[11]...on promotion of false doctrine encyclical of pope Pius ix, 1863
                  assuming you meant Mark16:16
                  which translation are you using?

"Also well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by those who oppose the authority and statements of the same Church and are stubbornly separated from the unity of the Church and also from the successor of Peter, the Roman Pontiff,"

your beloved Catholic Church no longer teaches that.
                  One of the ekklēsia

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Him View Post
                    So, does the Catholic church teach we are saved by faith and works, which is a works based salvation? Yay or nay?
                    We are saved by faith and works which is a faith AND works based salvation. No one is a Sola Works advocate around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Our part in repentance. God does not repent for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Him View Post
                        What part do works play in salvation? Are your works salvific? If so, how?
                        Our part in repentance plays a major role in our salvation. Salvation is a gift but it is a conditional gift that is given on condition that we repent.

Comment

Our part in repenting and deciding to believe in Christ.

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionofGrace&Nature View Post
                            Our part in repenting and deciding to believe in Christ.
                            Is repenting and faith your own work or rather the work of God?

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionofGrace&Nature View Post
                              Our part in repentance plays a major role in our salvation. Salvation is a gift but it is a conditional gift that is given on condition that we repent.
                              So what you are saying is salvation hinges on the believer and how good they were at death?

Comment

So what you are saying is salvation hinges on the believer and how good they were at death?
                                Its funny how catholics will swear they don't believe in works based salvation. Then another comes along and says thats exactly what they believe! No wonder they are confused.

Comment

Working...
                                X