Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Modern Roman Catholicism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Roman Catholicism

What are some of the different categories of modern Roman Catholic people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Catholics would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definitions for discussion purposes.
    I think that the largest category of modern day Roman Catholics are the 'social' or 'nominal,' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of then are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into the Roman Catholic Church, but they have little or no knowledge of true Roman Catholic theology and who are, in practice, Catholics in name only.
    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
    What are some of the different categories of modern Roman Catholic people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Catholics would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definitions for discussion purposes.
    I think that the largest category of modern day Roman Catholics are the 'social' or 'nominal,' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of then are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into the Roman Catholic Church, but they have little or no knowledge of true Roman Catholic theology and who are, in practice, Catholics in name only.
    Well let's try something so we can have a real compare and contrast session between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

What are some of the different categories of modern Protestant people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Protestants would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definition for discussion purposes.

I think that the largest category of modern day Protestants are the 'social' Or 'nominal' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of them are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into a Protestant Church, but they have little or no knowledge of what their Protestant theology is and are, in practice, Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, Orthodox, Methodist, Lutheran, Ana-baptist, Mennonite, Evangelicals or one of many others in name only.
    Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
    and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

I agree with you. Most Catholics are uncommitted and uneducated in their faith. I also agree with Kat. Most non-Catholics are uncommitted and uneducated in their faith.

Comment

Originally posted by kirby View Post

I agree with you. Most Catholics are uncommitted and uneducated in their faith. I also agree with Kat. Most non-Catholics are uncommitted and uneducated in their faith.
        Depends on the church doesn't it? My church is smaller but the same people are there week in and week out. If someone didn't show up for whatever reason, there is always someone asking about them. We pray for those that didn't make it and send letters and cards for people that we have not seen in a while. Most of those in my church are eager to work for the Lord, show up to sunday school and service and weds night. Its a lot of studying and learning and serving. And although we are not big by any means, God is working.
        Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Depends on the church doesn't it? My church is smaller but the same people are there week in and week out. If someone didn't show up for whatever reason, there is always someone asking about them. We pray for those that didn't make it and send letters and cards for people that we have not seen in a while. Most of those in my church are eager to work for the Lord, show up to sunday school and service and weds night. Its a lot of studying and learning and serving. And although we are not big by any means, God is working.
          Subsets are not useful for comparison. It's easy to compare one small specially chosen group to a larger all-encompassing group but it proves nothing except what everyone already knows - that there are faithful Christians in the world. I'm glad you have a nice church .

Comment

There are catholics of all stripes. I'd been to mass and there was one guy that had the whole thing timed down to the second (which in and of itself should say something). There was a side door and right when people were lining up to eat god, he'd slide in the side door. Eat his wafer and slide right back out. Never even sat down in a pew. This is the mentality of catholics. They are so geared up for one thing, get that wafer. Then they are good for a week. The focus is never on the finished work of Jesus, the gospel or how to be saved. Its, here eat this or drink that. That is the sum of the entire service. The rest is just theater.
            Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

There are catholics of all stripes. I'd been to mass and there was one guy that had the whole thing timed down to the second (which in and of itself should say something). There was a side door and right when people were lining up to eat god, he'd slide in the side door. Eat his wafer and slide right back out. Never even sat down in a pew. This is the mentality of catholics. They are so geared up for one thing, get that wafer. Then they are good for a week. The focus is never on the finished work of Jesus, the gospel or how to be saved. Its, here eat this or drink that. That is the sum of the entire service. The rest is just theater.
              This is the mentality of catholics. Like I said. It's easy to pick groups to compare. There are Catholics and non-Catholic Christians of all stripes. And you seem to be missing what goes on at Mass and the whole point of Mass (sadly many Catholics are missing the point too). Maybe you're too busy looking around and comparing yourself to the people there.

Could you please be a bit more respectful of the Eucharist?

Comment

Originally posted by Kat4life View Post
                Well let's try something so we can have a real compare and contrast session between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

What are some of the different categories of modern Protestant people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Protestants would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definition for discussion purposes.

I think that the largest category of modern day Protestants are the 'social' Or 'nominal' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of them are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into a Protestant Church, but they have little or no knowledge of what their Protestant theology is and are, in practice, Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, Orthodox, Methodist, Lutheran, Ana-baptist, Mennonite, Evangelicals or one of many others in name only.
                yep, you've managed to name 7 out of the 10s of thousands that catholics claim exist. can't do better? can you name 100 of them?

catholics made up the labels catholic and protestant, just like they made up the beliefs of their group.

the nonCs that catholics call protestants, mostly are not believers just like catholics. they just don't believe in a whole lot of the false beliefs of the catholics. not agreeing with catholics doesn't make them believers. they have their own false beliefs. many Lutherans make up their own beliefs, the UCCs, Universalists etc do also. They're unscriptural beliefs just like the RCC made up its own unscriptural beliefs.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

This is the mentality of catholics. Like I said. It's easy to pick groups to compare. There are Catholics and non-Catholic Christians of all stripes. And you seem to be missing what goes on at Mass and the whole point of Mass (sadly many Catholics are missing the point too). Maybe you're too busy looking around and comparing yourself to the people there.

Could you please be a bit more respectful of the Eucharist?
                  no, believers who were once catholic don't miss the point of the mass - it points to the RCC and its false beliefs. that's why we're no longer catholic. Our focus is now on Christ, not man.

it's false (man made) and meaningless.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Since this OP question is about Roman Catholics (you could open an OP about Protestants), what about 'eclectic' (sp?) Roman Catholics - those would be the Roman Catholics who in varying degrees combined with and/ or absorbed by the pagan religion of the indigenous culture in which they exist - such as what is found widespread within Mexico and South America.
                    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                      no, believers who were once catholic don't miss the point of the mass - it points to the RCC and its false beliefs. that's why we're no longer catholic. Our focus is now on Christ, not man.

it's false (man made) and meaningless.

Charles Chiniquoy published very detailed accounts of the abomination of the mass. So did Keith Green , in less detail, but full disclosure of the evil of the mass (and the evil of the harlot system overall, everywhere) .

The response from Rome was to excommunicate Chiniquoy (who published the details of wickednesses in the "50 years in the church of rome" )

, and to seek or approve of the death of Keith Green for his publication "The Catholic Chronicles" exposing the sin of Catholicism, with no righteousness in it.

Not only members of catholicism are guilty and condemned, but also the (in Scripture) "daughters of the harlot" that live in spiritual darkness and death.

Comment

Since this OP question is about Roman Catholics (you could open an OP about Protestants), what about 'eclectic' (sp?) Roman Catholics - those would be the Roman Catholics who in varying degrees combined with and/ or absorbed by the pagan religion of the indigenous culture in which they exist - such as what is found widespread within Mexico and South America.
                        Warning from Yahweh to all who are part of OR agreeing with any of those: Concerning babylon: "COME OUT"

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro77 View Post

Charles Chiniquoy published very detailed accounts of the abomination of the mass. So did Keith Green , in less detail, but full disclosure of the evil of the mass (and the evil of the harlot system overall, everywhere) .

The response from Rome was to excommunicate Chiniquoy (who published the details of wickednesses in the "50 years in the church of rome" )

, and to seek or approve of the death of Keith Green for his publication "The Catholic Chronicles" exposing the sin of Catholicism, with no righteousness in it.

Not only members of catholicism are guilty and condemned, but also the (in Scripture) "daughters of the harlot" that live in spiritual darkness and death.
                          I love Keith Green's music, and his fervor for God.

Chiniquoy was so melodramatic in his telling, weeping and gnashing of teeth, all while ignoring his own sin.
                          Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
                          and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

I love Keith Green's music, and his fervor for God.

Chiniquoy was so melodramatic in his telling, weeping and gnashing of teeth, all while ignoring his own sin.
                            False sweetness will not accommodate any sin. Chiniquoy readily acknowledged his own sin, and the gross, horrible, totally sinful abominations practiced by the roman church he was once high up in.

If you read 50 years in the church of rome, you would know this - far from being an actor with false sweetness, far from being melodramatic, he was like the messengers of Yahweh in the OLD and in the NEW TESTAMENTS --- WARNING the fallen, the lost, the ones without faith of their errors., or their abominable sins.

Keith Green likewise openly and strongly opposed the catholic system of sin.

Like Charles Chiniquoy , Keith Green EXPLAINED how they RE-CRUCIFY JESUS every morning in mass, thus condemning themselves in the process. Also (condemning themselves) in transgressing daily, and teaching others to transgress INSTEAD OF REPENTING. It is an eye opener for all who are able and who are granted the grace to receive the truth from God.

The sin of the confessional , with all of the accompanying abominable practices opposed to everything in the Bible is also thoroughly exposed.

Comment

What are your thoughts on those 'Traditional or Orthodox' Roman Catholics - they seem to be the powerful conservative branch of Roman Catholic-ism that holds to historic church doctrines such as those reasserted at the Council of Trent in the 16th century. Do you find many of them in this forum?

Comment

Working...
                              X