Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Modern Roman Catholicism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kat4life View Post

They are various denominations that hold to the Presbyterian government who have split apart from sharing a common doctrinal belief over differences they now hold. They know it, and so do you.
    I believe they all hold to the Westminster Confession ..and the Presbyterian forum of Government .. so with the exception of the Bible Presbyterian that holds a different eschatology ..they are the same church under different name and Calvinists can move comfortably between them much like Catholics change parishes,, . They split from the PCUSA which developed very liberal positions on clergy , homosexuality , abortion and divorce.. ..also they have position similar to the RC in that the denomination owns the church property , and the Pastors health and retirement plans ..
    Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
      What are some of the different categories of modern Roman Catholic people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Catholics would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definitions for discussion purposes.
      I think that the largest category of modern day Roman Catholics are the 'social' or 'nominal,' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of then are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into the Roman Catholic Church, but they have little or no knowledge of true Roman Catholic theology and who are, in practice, Catholics in name only.

Well let's try something so we can have a real compare and contrast session between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

What are some of the different categories of modern Protestant people around the world? The distinctions between them are not often very clear because they can overlap or merge or blur into one another. My guess is that individual Protestants would not necessarily appreciate or agree with their labels - but those labels do at least serve as convenient definition for discussion purposes.

I think that the largest category of modern day Protestants are the 'social' Or 'nominal' especially those living in the USA. The vast majority of them are largely uncommitted - most likely they were born or married into a Protestant Church, but they have little or no knowledge of what their Protestant theology is and are, in practice, Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, Orthodox, Methodist, Lutheran, Ana-baptist, Mennonite, Evangelicals or one of many others in name only.
      Isn't it more important to compare the teachings? For example, all these different labels, Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, Orthodox, Methodist, Lutheran, Ana-baptist, Mennonite, Evangelicals, what do they have in common? Even within, say, the Anglican, you can find some that are so "HIGH", they are virtually Catholic. But then there are so, "LOW", that even Protestants run from them.

Then, of course, there's this one idea that permeates almost all of Protestantdom that faith is basically, me and my bible. Basically, the various denominations are unnecessary to those Protestants. They make up their religion as they go along.
      Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by DMBD View Post

Your right, But I never mentioned that. Your church is always judging people....
        Of all the Churches in the world, our Church is the only one with the legitimate authority to do so. She is the Church which Jesus established:

1 Corinthians 6:3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

instead of protecting their souls
        She judges people in order to protect their souls.

James 5:20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
        Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

I believe they all hold to the Westminster Confession ..and the Presbyterian forum of Government .. so with the exception of the Bible Presbyterian that holds a different eschatology ..they are the same church under different name and Calvinists can move comfortably between them much like Catholics change parishes,, . They split from the PCUSA which developed very liberal positions on clergy , homosexuality , abortion and divorce.. ..also they have position similar to the RC in that the denomination owns the church property , and the Pastors health and retirement plans ..
          You seem very comfortable with this whole church hopping thing. What about these liberal Presbyterians? Are they in a denomination which you would consider, even with their beliefs on homosexuality , abortion and divorce? And by the way, would they defend these beliefs they hold by Scripture alone?
          Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by De Maria View Post

Of all the Churches in the world, our Church is the only one with the legitimate authority to do so. She is the Church which Jesus established:

1 Corinthians 6:3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

James 5:20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
            All what you pointed to has nothing to do with judging people. All it does is point out just how catholics manipulate scriptures to suit their own needs. In this case your pope calling people who criticized the church are now friends of the devil. Do you realize that too much loyalty can also do the actual work of satan?

Comment

All what you pointed to has nothing to do with judging people. All it does is point out just how catholics manipulate scriptures to suit their own needs. In this case your pope calling people who criticized the church are now friends of the devil. Do you realize that too much loyalty can also do the actual work of satan?
              All I see is someone desperate to cling to his traditions of men. The Scriptures support all Catholic Teaching. And you reject the Scriptures in order to support your errors.
              Pray!

Comment

All I see is someone desperate to cling to his traditions of men. The Scriptures support all Catholic Teaching. And you reject the Scriptures in order to support your errors.
                This response is expected and typical for catholics. Only they are right and if we disagree with them, we reject scripture and Jesus. That old recruitment tactic doesn't work anymore. Wanna give it another try? Maybe this time you can defend your popes words as to why he now judged critics when we were all told that the church allows criticism. Maybe it's just those dang double standards getting in the way?

Comment

This response is expected and typical for catholics. ....
                  And yours is typical of anti-Catholics. Whenever you want to try real dialogue, I'm ready and waiting.
                  Pray!

Comment

They are various denominations that hold to the Presbyterian government who have split apart from sharing a common doctrinal belief over differences they now hold. They know it, and so do you.
                    sure, that's not something new. many of them aren't believers, they too (like catholics) believe what their 'leaders' tell them to believe, basically what they want to believe. they have no idea about what scripture says or being born again.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

no, the RCC/CC is neither of those.

that was Paul speaking... the 'we' there refers to believers in Him and His word, not those who follow a false teacher.

the RCC does neither of those. the RCC leads them away from Him.

Comment

All I see is someone desperate to cling to his traditions of men. The Scriptures support all Catholic Teaching.
                        that's because that is what catholics are taught and what they see in the RCC/CC.

scriptures support none of the 'catholic' teachings.

And you reject the Scriptures in order to support your errors.
                        that is exactly what catholics do. it's what the RCC teaches them to do.

Comment

And yours is typical of anti-Catholics. Whenever you want to try real dialogue, I'm ready and waiting.
                          that's what scripture says - not to be for or follow false teachers. Jesus teaches that as do the apostles.

Comment

Is there any Roman Catholic in this forum who would consider themselves to be a "Charismatic" Catholic, who has sought the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and speaking in tongues as well as other spiritual gifts as signs of a deeper Roman Catholic spirituality?
                            RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                              no, the RCC/CC is neither of those.

that was Paul speaking... the 'we' there refers to believers in Him and His word, not those who follow a false teacher.

the RCC does neither of those. the RCC leads them away from Him.
                              The Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus Christ established. Here’s the difference between you and I.
                              The Bible clearly says that the Church is infallible:
                              Ephesians 3:10 King James Version (KJV)
                              10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

But you follow traditions of men which are nowhere mentioned in the Bible. They came many centuries too late.

Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                                that's what scripture says - not to be for or follow false teachers. Jesus teaches that as do the apostles.
                                Then you should leave your sect and come to the Catholic Church:

The Bible clearly says that the Church is infallible:
                                Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

But you follow the errors of men which are nowhere mentioned in the Bible.
                                Pray!

Comment

Working...
                                X